MYOG quilt questions
Display Avatars Sort By:
K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
MYOG quilt questions on 03/06/2012 23:56:44 MST Print View

If there is a link to the answers please direct me. I'm going to make it out of quantum 0.85 or momentum 50. Can I use this for the outer and inner layers? I'm using apex 2.5, can i just sew through the quilt to make baffles so it doesn't shift around? Perhaps someone here who has a spirit quilt can tell me how it's done. Thanks

Edited by KalebC on 03/07/2012 00:07:30 MST.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: MYOG quilt questions on 03/07/2012 04:57:35 MST Print View

Hi Kaleb,

What temperature rating are you trying to achieve?

I see no reason why you could not use either fabric for the inner and outer layers.

You can click on this link and see my thread on a project that is very similar to yours and may answer a lot of your questions.

Follow this link to LytW8.com to see Jamie Shortt's Summer Quilt Instructions V1.0. It is a down quilt made with M50. Just substitute your Apex for the down and skip the baffling.

You can look at the Enlightened Equipment Prodigy and notice that it doesn't appear to be baffled at all. It is very similar to what you are planning and the quilt that I made.

On my quilt,

"The insulation is secured only around the edges".

"It weighs 14.05 ounces and is made out of .9 ounce DWR coated ripstop from OWFInc".

I hope this helps. Good luck with your project. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: MYOG quilt questions on 03/07/2012 05:29:22 MST Print View

I am going to make one very similar to your idea and this is what i'll be kinda using for a guide. no need for baffles with Apex. that is one of it's great features.

http://kringlelight.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/sin50/

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: MYOG quilt questions on 03/07/2012 06:58:29 MST Print View

The link that Jake posted is another excellent guide to making a quilt.

I keep turning over the amounts of the materials needed in this project and I have a question.

There are going to be some left overs of nylon fabric and insulation. Because of the length it seems initially that 2 yards of Apex need to be ordered.

What if some of the nylon cut offs were used to install on small baffle near the foot end and use the other Apex cut offs for insulation in that area?

Could there be a cost savings here by not having to order 2 yards of Apex and only ordering 1 yard instead?

I am wondering if sewing the insulation on 3 sides and adding the single baffle would be a viable construction method. the baffle material could also be no-see-um or nano-see-um mesh for a minor weight savings if you have any of this material lying around.

Party On,

Newton

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: MYOG quilt questions on 03/07/2012 07:05:58 MST Print View

I think 2yds of Apex is what you need. There are no real "sides" its a flat quilt that you curve at the end for a foot. sandwich it between 2yards of the nylon of your choice and you're good to go.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MYOG quilt questions on 03/07/2012 07:24:30 MST Print View

Hi Jake,

The sides that I am refering to are the sewn "edges" of the flat quilt.

I'm just bouncing cost savings ideas off of others here on the forum that have been bouncing around inside of my head lately. ;-)

It just seems to be a shame to have so much resultant leftovers of the Apex.

Party On,

Newton

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MYOG quilt questions on 03/07/2012 07:46:12 MST Print View

make a beanie, or mittens or a foot plug thing

i dunno.. i've seen a pic of some Apex stitched together to make extra so maybe someone will have an idea to extend 1yd to make a whole quilt.

Edited by JakeDatc on 03/07/2012 07:49:21 MST.

Chris Muthig
(cmuthig) - M

Locale: Georgia
Amount of Apex on 03/07/2012 07:54:34 MST Print View

I'm now working on my fourth quilt like the one in my guide, and in my experience, 2 yards is as little apex as I could order and still finish the quilt. I actually do use some of the leftover Apex to finish the length. The quilt I make for myself at 5'10" is about 75" long, so the 72" shipped is still too short. So I sew two pieces of insulation together (one piece from the leftovers) to get the full length.

But going with 1 yard instead would leave me very short because of the width of the quilt I designed. I really like the 50" width, which takes up 5/6 of the insulation and leaves me with a piece of insulation that is about 10"x72" (with a bit more along the taper of the foot). This isn't a whole lot of waste considering I usually use another piece of Apex that is about 4"x50" to finish the length. I think 1 yard would just leave you far too short regardless of how you used the insulation.

If you want a use for the rest of the insulation, you may be able to get away with one of these guys that another BPL member posted. It seems nice, and I plan to try it myself soon:

http://www.lightaddict.net/?post/2012/02/13/Tour-de-cou

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
what to do with scraps of Apex on 03/07/2012 08:38:48 MST Print View

Booties or balaclava.

For booties, lay your foot sideways on a piece of paper and trace out, maybe 2 inches wider in every direction.

Then sew through fabric/Apex/fabric/fabric/Apex/fabric along that line

Then cut off about 1/2 inch further out

Then turn inside out and sew a seam capturing the raw edge (French Seam)

Finish the top. No need for any elastic or anything.

Of course, it may not be quite the right size and you'll have to re-do it at a better size.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: MYOG quilt questions on 03/07/2012 10:24:26 MST Print View

Apologies to all for cluttering up this thread with my distinct lack of math skills.

Based on my earlier posts one would think that I am 3 feet 6 inches tall. ;-)

What I should have asked initially was is it feasible to get by with 2 yards of Apex instead of ordering 3 yards?

Others here with much more superior math skills have echoed my initial thoughts and stated how they do it or have seen it done.

Hey it was early in the morning and I hadn't finished my first cup of coffee. I was running late to get out of the house for work. The dog ate my homework. I own a pencil with 2 erasers on it for just such occasions. You should see just how much white out there is on my computer's monitor screen! LOL

Party On,

Newton

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MYOG quilt questions on 03/07/2012 10:33:57 MST Print View

HA. I think we can forgive you THIS time. i'm hoping 2yds should be plenty for me.. i'm only 5'7 so with 2yds of M90 inside and out i should be good to go.

i was thinking you were going to try to jumble together some sorta weird jig saw puzzle of odd scraps :)