Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » 2012 Photo Contest Winners!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: "2012 Photo Contest Winners!" on 03/08/2012 17:08:53 MST Print View

Tony,

I am not being critical of the winners at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just think that Eugene and I are somewhat connected in what truly inspires us, and a great picture needs to tell a story. A picture that needs no words to describe it; an image that leaves us contemplating, happy, sad, euphoric, motivated, etc.

Again, I do not want to detract from the winners, their ability outshines mine.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: "2012 Photo Contest Winners!" on 03/08/2012 18:21:17 MST Print View

Nick,

I know you are not being critical of the winners in anyway at all.

You are just helping shed light on what Eugene might have been intending to say he felt was missing.

Like I said, I was just trying to understand where he was coming from and to appreciate his point of view.

This is art....we can all appreciate what we see and we can have different reactions to it. Neither is right or wrong, good or bad...just a different perspective of how to view it and what they like in it, which my differ from someone else's view.

-Tony

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: 2012 Photo Contest Winners on 03/09/2012 08:37:44 MST Print View

Montana

Congrats to all the winners.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
2012 Photo Contest Winners on 03/11/2012 15:52:43 MDT Print View

Excellent efforts by all.

I tend to agree with Eugene a bit. Not to take anything away from the others, but for me the winning photo was Sieto's. Great mood and atmosphere.

I didn't realize there was a contest until someone mentioned it to me just recently, so I missed the criteria and rules. Were (or are) all of the entries displayed somewhere? Were the finalists voted through by BPL members, or did the judges do all of the selection?

I would love to see what everyone entered.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Great article on 03/18/2012 15:59:27 MDT Print View

Loved the rhythmic movement of Frederic's shot, the mixture of compression and release.

Also really appreciated the judge's comments. Reading the article is like taking a short course in backpacking photography, in the best way--we're given things to think about, and a language in which to think them, without having our horizons narrowed by rules or proscriptions.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: 2012 Photo Contest Winners on 05/29/2012 07:05:41 MDT Print View

Doing it again for next year?