Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Quilt Query
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Quilt Query on 03/06/2012 09:01:51 MST Print View

From reading here I think most quilt users cover themselves up to the neck with the quilt then wear some type warm hat for the the head.

Would it not also work in reverse? That is, have the quilt cover from, say, the knees upward and then wear some type of small, narrow warm bag for the knees down. Could even use one's backpack. The upper part of the quilt could then be shaped like a conventional sleeping bag where it fits around the head and neck (with an opening for the face).

I'm not a quilt user but I use me sleeping bag like a quilt. I'm reluctant to give up the top part of my sleeping bag because it is so darn warm. My feet, however, are usually too hot and spend most of the night outside of the bag anyway.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Quilt Query on 03/06/2012 09:07:42 MST Print View

At that point you could just get a down or synthetic puffy jacket with a hood and maybe a small blanket for below. jacket would be multiuse too.

John Almond
(FLRider) - F

Locale: The Southeast
Re: Quilt Query on 03/06/2012 13:10:38 MST Print View

This is very similar to three-season underquilt use for hammocks. What seems to be most folks go with a 2/3 or 3/4 length underquilt during three-season use and then use their sit pads or empty packs to insulate under their feet in a hammock.

I suppose that it would work with a topquilt as well. The issue would be shaping the hood, since quilts don't have a bottom to them. I'm sure that it wouldn't be insurmountable, but it would present some unique design challenges.

If you used your empty pack, it would probably even insulate underneath your feet, allowing you to carry a smaller pad for the ground. Hmm...it definitely seems worth thinking on.