Quitting TV...3 month update
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
Quitting TV...3 month update on 03/06/2012 07:19:36 MST Print View

I thought I would do an update to my having quit TV as kind of a New Year's resolution in 2012. Here we are in March so its been right at 3 months with no TV in my house. I have to say, this is one of the absolute BEST decisions I have ever made. Needless to say it is going GREAT!

The first month I would say I missed it. I would get home from work, change and then kind of stand there looking around wondering what the heck I was going to do. It felt awkward to not plop down on the couch. I would compare the feeling to when I quit using tobacco after 10-12 years of dipping. It was like a friend was missing or something. That got me to thinking, I am addicted to TV, gotta break the dependence. So I started just accepting that awkward feeling, realizing it was going to be there and just got over it, started doing this or that. I made more time to just play with my son, trains, trucks, take him down to the pond, nothing special just more father son time. After he goes to bed at 8PM it was even more weird to not cut the TV on. Several times I would just stand there looking at it. So eventually moved on, started making little projects to fill my time. I ended up making a backpacking quilt (first sewing project ever), some stuff sacks, ebaying some old stuff, fixing things around the house, hanging with my wife, reading a ton (8 books so far?), etc. On the weekends after our son goes to bed we would maybe rent a movie and watch it together but just one movie.

Here at month three, I feel like the addiction is broken. I literally do not miss it at all, too much going on, projects I am in the middle of, things I need to get done, books I want to read. I don't see how I had so much time for TV anymore.

Another huge benefit is chatting with my wife. We just talk more, in bed reading, around the house. It's like the background noise is gone from our lives and the quietness in our house is so much more pleasant.

This also goes hand in hand with the exercise discussion. I want to fill more of my time being active and exercising. We got some exercise DVD's from the library to do inside when it is cold and rainy and we are mulling over the idea of training and doing an adventure race together as a husband wife team.

I could go on but you get the point.

I want to encourage anyone that is thinking about cutting the cord...do it. It has been such a good experience for myself and my family. I could have never self regulated it if I had left it connected. Going cold turkey was the way to go for me.

Almost forgot...thank you to all of ya'll on here that encouraged me to go for it. It was encouraging to see that other people went without TV and did not fall from the face of the planet. People I have told in person act like I'm crazy, they say things like 'Are you serious? I couldn't live without TV'. Well I thought I couldn't either but now I am thinking I may never live with TV ever again.

Also...my wife didn't watch hardly any TV anyway but is loving having me present and more active. She says she is fine never having TV in our house again.

Edited by TylerD on 03/06/2012 07:26:13 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Quitting TV...3 month update on 03/06/2012 08:06:18 MST Print View

Congrats, Ty! This is a cool thing you're doing, and I'm sure your wife and son appreciate it quite a bit.

> I don't see how I had so much time for TV anymore.

You didn't! You made time for it at the expense of all the thing you're able to do now! (I really hope that came across in a NON-condescending way. I meant it in as nice a way as possible.)

Thanks for the update! :)

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Re: Re: Quitting TV...3 month update on 03/06/2012 09:02:10 MST Print View

Travis - Not condescending, I get where you are coming from.

That was one of my big arguments. I would say 'I never have time for __________' (fill in the blank) but I ALWAYS made time for an hour if not two or three of TV every night.

Such a stinkin waste of time. One of my big excuses was that I needed or deserved the relaxation (I work a good bit). Turns out I feel much more relaxed reading, talking with my wife, whatever. Now when we watch a movie, unless it is a REALLY good movie I find myself getting ancy, bouncing my leg, with the projects and other things surfacing in my mind I would rather be doing.

Another benefit is I am getting to bed on time. The TV used to call out to me, 'just one more show' but when you are reading all cozy in bed with only a bedside lamp to shut off, it is much easier to just lay the book down, click the lamp off and fall asleep. There is no master minded advertising/preview to suck you into the next show and the next show. I used to fight that all the time and beat myself up for not being disciplined enough to just turn it off. Now I am thinking more that I was fighting an uphill battle against much more well equipped and funded opponents (TV advertising). It's really nice to not have that temptation, no more fighting it, no more beating myself up for failing when I get in bed at 12:15 and think 'dang, I'm gonna be tired again tomorrow'.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Update on 03/06/2012 09:14:32 MST Print View

Congratulations! I think what you are doing is great and I see no drawbacks in your decisions.
As far as time, the busier you are, the more organized you get and the more you utilize every bit of it. I agree with the saying: " If you need something done, ask someone that's really busy".

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Quitting TV...3 month update on 03/06/2012 09:15:50 MST Print View

> I used to fight that all the time and beat myself up for not being disciplined enough to just turn it off. Now I am thinking more that I was fighting an uphill battle against much more well equipped and funded opponents (TV advertising).

My uneducated guess is that you weren't fighting the TV advertising as much as you were fighting your own learned behavior. That learned behavior came before you were self-aware of the situation and the advertising had a much bigger hold on you. Then you just fell into a pattern.

*sigh* I've got my own vices to break. Lord knows I do plenty of things that waste time! :D

Leslie Thurston
(lesler) - F

Locale: right here, right now
"Quitting TV...3 month update" on 03/06/2012 09:51:57 MST Print View

tyler--

WORD.

yes, agreed.

the execrise convo and tv sabattical are symbiotic.

i previously failed to mentioned (or perhaps i did)?

to this day, i'm wholeheartedly convinced that the main reason for my affinity

for exercise-- in it's many degrees/forms-- stems from my being raised

sans a tv. we (bro and i) played outside because we loved it yes, but we loved it b/c

we had no choice but to love it!

it truly is the MOST prestigious decision my folks ever made for us kids

in largely shaping our present-day lifetsyles

(though ironically, he succumbed post-college and isn't physically active anymore).

no less,

see your free time loosen like a goose neck

and

keep rockin' steady.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: Quitting TV...3 month update on 03/06/2012 10:38:29 MST Print View

Anecdote on raising kids without TV:

We quit watching TV before our kids were born. When they were little my wife let them watch a few selected shows: Reading Rainbow, Mr Rogers, some Sesame Street, mostly educational or quasi-educational stuff, and not much of it...sometimes she really did need time to herself! Note that we did have a VCR so they did watch all the Disney movies and such, but we controlled that as well.

After this early stage the TV watching stopped (still used the VCR, though). So our kids grew up missing all the programs their friends watched. At school they couldn't participate in discussions concerning the latest plot twists and turns, etc. On the other hand, we read to them all the time (every night without fail), and they all became voracious readers.

When they were older I asked them if they felt they missed anything by not having TV when they were younger. They all agreed they didn't, and have no regrets about it. They all finished near the top of their high school class, did well at high-class universities, and some of them went on to post-graduate studies.

Now that they are on their own they have started watching some TV, somewhat to my chagrin, although not a great deal so I guess I should not be concerned.

No conclusion here, just my experience...

John West
(skyzo)

Locale: Borah Gear
Re: RE: Quitting TV...3 month update on 03/06/2012 10:53:35 MST Print View

I've now been completely TV free for about 8 months now. Its awesome. Instead of coming home from work and just sitting around and watching Sportscenter for an hour or two, I now have even more time to hang out with my family and do the little things, like read.

The only time I miss having a TV is when the Steelers are on :) , but I can usually find a bar somewhere in town that is playing the game. Other than that, don't miss it at all, and honestly don't know if I'll ever get it again, don't really see a need to.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: RE: Quitting TV...3 month update on 03/06/2012 11:08:19 MST Print View

I can't even imagine a life without Jerseylicious.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Re: Re: RE: Quitting TV...3 month update on 03/06/2012 11:11:54 MST Print View

John - Sports, ahh yes that can be an issue. I am an Auburn Alum/fan since I quit first week in January haven't felt the full brunt yet. Next season I am planning to use it as an excuse to take the family out for dinner at a sports bar, that or watch with friends and enjoy some friendship along with the game. Maybe rounding up a group of Steelers fans for a rotating tailgate at either your houses or at a favorite sports bar would be a fun thing to do?

Hobbes W
(Hobbesatronic) - F

Locale: SoCal
Quitting TV on 03/06/2012 11:19:10 MST Print View

TV, like all advertising media, is nothing more than a commercial delivery mechanism. Any actual entertainment value is a by-product, overhead really, of the necessary expenditures incurred in order to attract eyeballs.

Once you understand that when you watch TV, you are willingly submitting your valuable time & energy so that others may use (and abuse) you as they wish. In essence, you're merely whoring yourself out for cheap thrills.

TV isn't just a waste of time - it's an act of profound degradation. Try this: after you feel you've safely broken your addiction, go to a big box electronics store and watch the displays. You will be absolutely amazed at the inanity of both the programming & commercials. Then look around to observe the slack-jawed reception.

My background is in biz - I've got nothing against the immorality of using tools to manipulate others, I just don't intend on being the target. Think Patton - "Rommel, you magnificent b@stard, I read your book!" Once you know what they're doing, it's actually kind of funny spotting out the obvious tells.

Edited by Hobbesatronic on 03/06/2012 11:26:32 MST.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Re: RE: Quitting TV...3 month update on 03/06/2012 11:23:54 MST Print View

Elliott - Interesting, thank you. Yes a big part of my reasoning was with my son. I have thought about the lack of popular culture, yes that might not be the best way to be in the 'A' group or be the most popular kid in school. That might not be such a bad thing as long as the kid is not being picked on, has friends, builds relationships and is confidently enjoying their life. Sometimes being in the 'A' group at the top of the popularity chain is not the most conducive to developing the skills for a successful adult life.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Quitting TV...3 month update on 03/06/2012 13:02:06 MST Print View

We dumped cable about a month ago. I can't say I miss it. Still have our TV and we watch movies and stuff off Amazon (we have Prime) but I never watched much TV in the first place. It was harder for my husband but he is fine overall. Saves us $90 a month. I kid not.

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Re: Re: Quitting TV...3 month update on 03/06/2012 13:50:22 MST Print View

Sarah - good point! The $70 bucks a month in the pocket instead of out the door does not hurt either :)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Re: Quitting TV...3 month update on 03/06/2012 13:56:25 MST Print View

Moved from Europe to the US 6 weeks ago had have watched about an hour of TV and 3 epsiodes of Sherlock (modern day version) and Monerball on Netflicks since then and thats it. My wife and I are seriusly thinking of tossing the Cahrter cable out :-)

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Quitting TV on 03/06/2012 15:09:01 MST Print View

..."Try this: after you feel you've safely broken your addiction, go to a big box electronics store and watch the displays. You will be absolutely amazed at the inanity of both the programming & commercials. Then look around to observe the slack-jawed reception."

I agree with this very much. From the news ( both what they talk about and HOW they talk, period) to commercials to the shows, I feel so distant from it, like they are not targeting me with it at all. When I visit people with TV, and watch it, I just keep thinking " are you kidding me??".

Diana Nevins
(artemis) - MLife

Locale: Great Plains
RE: Quitting TV on 03/06/2012 15:14:30 MST Print View

Glad to hear cutting the cable (TV) has gone so well for you. It really is amazing what a tremendous time-suck TV can be - and how low the quality of the programming often is. Once you're no longer watching it regularly, you wonder how you ever picked up the habit in the first place.

My elderly parents enjoy watching TV so I still have cable for their rare visits, but almost never watch it when I'm at home. Once they've passed, I may well cancel the cable service altogether. Netflix is much more satisfying when I do want to watch something, and no TV means a lot more time for reading as well.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Quitting in March? on 03/06/2012 15:36:29 MST Print View

I would love to quit. But its March. I'm a UK fan. They are ranked #1. March Madness starts next week. Maybe I will quit in April.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
BBC on 03/06/2012 16:36:58 MST Print View

I do love watching BBC :-)

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 03/06/2012 19:29:42 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 05/28/2012 17:37:49 MDT.