MYOG Hydropel
Display Avatars Sort By:
Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
MYOG Hydropel on 03/05/2012 22:48:21 MST Print View

I know there was a thread here on BPL about making one's own Hydropel, but I can't find it now. In any case, I've resolved to try it. I have 350 centipoise (pretty thick) dimethicone, petrolatum, and Dri-flo (a modified hydrophobic starch). I know that the mixture needs to be about 30% dimethicone, but I don't know the ratio of the two other ingredients. Presumably the majority of the other 70% is petrolatum, with a small amount of starch. Any educated guesses about this?

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: MYOG Hydropel on 03/06/2012 07:37:18 MST Print View

Read Brian Barnes' post. Looks like 30% dimethicone, 10% starch, 60% petrolatum. He goes further to explain how to make it

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=33635

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Hydropel on 03/06/2012 08:29:52 MST Print View

Thanks for that link, Dustin.