Palmetto Trail (South Carolina) - Awendaw to Monck's Corner
Display Avatars Sort By:
Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Palmetto Trail (South Carolina) - Awendaw to Monck's Corner on 03/05/2012 19:34:07 MST Print View

I finally got around to putting together a short summary of my ride from Awendaw up to Monck's Corner. I still intend to put together the whole section from Awendaw to Columbia but I have a few other adventures ahead of that right now.

Full report here: Palmetto Trail - Awendaw to Monck's Corner

Bikepacking Setup

Spider - he is our hero

Marsh views

Don Meredith
lightpack.blogspot.com

Kyle Crawford
(getupandgo) - F

Palmetto Trail on 03/10/2012 00:48:40 MST Print View

Nice trip report Don. Been wanting to see one on the Palmetto Trail for some time now.

German Tourist
(GermanTourist) - F

Locale: in my tent
Palmetto Trail on 03/10/2012 01:44:34 MST Print View

Thanks for bringing that trail to my attention. I am always looking for hiking trails that I can do in the shoulder or winter season.
I had a look at the Palmetto Trail website but unfortunately it looks like the trail is far from complete yet. Is it possible to "thruhike" the trail yet by somehow linking together to missing bits?
Christine

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Palmetto Trail on 03/10/2012 05:41:16 MST Print View

Christine, you can link the trail together from Awendaw to Columbia. After that you'll have to walk county roads to link the relatively short sections together (not worth it IMO). There hasn't been much progress growing the Palmetto Trail in the past several year, unfortunately.

Don Meredith

German Tourist
(GermanTourist) - F

Locale: in my tent
Palmetto Trail on 03/10/2012 06:19:44 MST Print View

Thanks, Don, for the quick reply and your opinion. I was afraid that you would say that. But I will keep an eye on the Palmetto Trail in the next years hoping for some progress in trail building.

John Almond
(FLRider) - F

Locale: The Southeast
Re: Palmetto Trail (South Carolina) - Awendaw to Monck's Corner on 03/10/2012 06:57:41 MST Print View

Impressive trip there, Don. The trail looks very pretty.

Gotta love those morning and early-afternoon banana spider encounters. Does great things for the blood pressure. *Ironic Snort*

Sorry your trip got cut short.

Thanks for sharing!