Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Oregon Public Broadcasting Ultralight Backpacking Video
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Zion
(mzion) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Oregon Public Broadcasting Ultralight Backpacking Video on 03/05/2012 12:38:39 MST Print View

More shameless plugging of Lint -- Just got featured on OPB talking about ultralight backpacking. Video features stuff like the MLD Prophet, GG SpinnTwin, Chrome Dome, etc.

Lint on UL

David Vo
(sygyzy)
Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting Ultralight Backpacking Video on 03/05/2012 12:41:11 MST Print View

"Well Lint is just Clint without the C. That C is just too darned heavy to bring to the backcountry."

LOVE IT!

Matthew Zion
(mzion) - F

Re: "Oregon Public Broadcasting Ultralight Backpacking Video" on 03/05/2012 14:59:45 MST Print View

I was a big fan of "keeps the aliens from reading my thoughts."

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
very nice on 03/05/2012 15:33:01 MST Print View

i thought he/they did a great job summarizing overall UL philosophies. couldn't have said it better myself.

I think the tv show Motion should contact Lint and have him do a similar special/segment on UL. That show gets nationwide exposure and is geared toward encouraging getting people who don't generally get out much to do so. Many of their 'fan hikes' feature people who have never been hiking or backpacking and they take them up with mule trains. I think it sends the message that that is the only way to access the backcountry comfortably. And as we all know with UL this is not the case..

Edited by JasonG on 03/05/2012 15:33:43 MST.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting Ultralight Backpacking Video on 03/05/2012 15:42:23 MST Print View

I liked his response to the idea that some think if you're hiking big miles you don't have any time to enjoy the scenery. I don't remember the exact quote, but something about being so relaxed and comfortable with a light pack that you're taking in the scenery the whole time you're hiking.

Nice scenery in that video too. I need to get myself up to that area some time.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
Lint on 03/05/2012 16:04:07 MST Print View

I liked the ladies 3 main food groups. Actually, I found the film quite enjoyable.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Lint on 03/05/2012 16:48:43 MST Print View

The ladies' 3 food groups"

1. Chocolate
2. Jack Daniels
3. Ibuprofin

my kind of hiking partners

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Lint on 03/05/2012 17:07:27 MST Print View

He really cleaned up well - but he did a fantastic job espousing the UL philosophy. I especially liked the remark about "people packing their fears."

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

OPB Ultralight Backpacking Video on 03/05/2012 17:10:30 MST Print View

"Nice scenery in that video too. I need to get myself up to that area some time."

The area where he is hiking is visible in high spots around Portland (some places where you can walk, some when are driving). The mountain where he sets down his pack is called Silver Star Mountain. It is a great dayhike, as all the NW volcanoes are visible with a (relatively) easy hike, compared to other peaks in the area.

The area is known for looking more like some east-coast "balds" and CA peaks, as a fire scoured the peak many years ago, followed by a severe winter that limited regrowth.

David Vo
(sygyzy)
Re: Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting Ultralight Backpacking Video on 03/05/2012 17:16:14 MST Print View

I thought his response about covering a lot of distance per day didn't make sense. The first thing he said was "I am going the same speed as you." How does one person cover 30 miles per day and one covers 20 unless the first is walking faster OR more hours.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting Ultralight Backpacking Video on 03/05/2012 17:22:31 MST Print View

More hours

Matthew Zion
(mzion) - F

Re: Distance on 03/05/2012 17:59:02 MST Print View

It's definitely the hours. I pass more people from 6-9 on both sides of the clock than any other point of the day.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: Lint on 03/05/2012 18:22:00 MST Print View

Great video! Very well done.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: re: Lint on 03/05/2012 18:50:51 MST Print View

I like the OPB outdoor shows and this one is a good example. Thanks for posting the link.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Oregon Public Broadcasting Ultralight Backpacking Video on 03/05/2012 19:12:38 MST Print View

Instead of the same speed he might mean the same effort. 10 lbs is worth .5 mph or so.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Oregon Public Broadcasting Ultralight Backpacking Video" on 03/05/2012 19:24:22 MST Print View

I liked every bit of that video- very honest sharing of the UL backpacking credo as Lint practices it and how several of us incorporate it into our own wilderness travel.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Lint Speed on 03/05/2012 19:44:18 MST Print View

Lint really does hike the same speed as most other thru hikers. It is the hours that add up. When you hike for months at a time your body becomes conditioned to the point that you are quite comfortable hiking dawn to dusk. In fact it seems weird when you are not hiking.
I met Lint on the PCT in 2009 amidst a loosley woven group of hikers. We leapfroged each other from the Sierra to the Canadian Border and he finished the day before I did.
Might be right about the "effort" factor though.
I watched a few hiker friends when they were ahead on the trail, and while they were leaning forward on the up hills, Lint seemed to float along behind them with very little effort.
Ultralight backpacking techniques really do yield exponential results the lower you go in packweight.
It is not just the weight but the way your whole body moves while carrying a pack.
Lint's Prophet pack does'nt even have a hipbelt. He ofter wears it on a single shoulder. I even saw him swing the pack around in front of him and retrieve snacks without missing a step.
I learned a lot from Lint, Lucky larry, Miss Information, Shootout, Birdman, Bob Dole and others on the PCT.
I really liked this video. It is also pretty strange to find out Lint's REAL world name is Clint. I always thought his trail name had something to do with how he starts his woodburning stove.

Sam Baker
(Masredub) - F
No water filtering? on 03/06/2012 12:05:58 MST Print View

Does anyone have a problem with Lint's non treated water drinking habits? I'm not all that experienced of an outdoors man, but from what I've read & heard that might not be a great idea. Why not at least carry one of those little straw filters?

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
Re: No water filtering? on 03/06/2012 12:30:04 MST Print View

I think he did that for the novelty. Im sure he drinks a lot of untreated water from clean water sources in the high country. on his gear list on his website he lists AquaMira

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

Locale: West
question for Lint on 03/06/2012 13:17:03 MST Print View

How do you make a living, and fit all that hiking in? I'm envious.