Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiker critical after CO poisoning from stove


Display Avatars Sort By:
Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Hiker critical after CO poisoning from stove on 03/05/2012 08:31:32 MST Print View

"A HILLWALKER was fighting for his life last night after being poisoned by his stove.
Rescue teams found outdoors enthusiast Phil Morgan seriously ill in a tent on a remote moor. He was suffering from severe hypothermia but tests later revealed suspected carbon monoxide poisoning and brain damage. Last night, friends were praying for the 49-year-old in intensive care at Borders General Hospital."

No info on the stove used, but as temperatures are now well above freezing it could be any type.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/03/03/camper-fights-for-life-after-being-poisoned-by-stove-in-tent-86908-23773085/

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Hiker critical after CO poisoning from stove on 03/05/2012 14:02:00 MST Print View

Not good news. Curious as to how long the stove was running.

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: Hiker critical after CO poisoning from stove on 03/08/2012 08:10:58 MST Print View

The guy is still in a coma. Apparently he had a gas lantern as well as stove, so the CO could have come from either.

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/03/07/trail-walker-remains-in-coma-after-carbon-monoxide-poisoning

I think I will get some of these visual CO detectors for when I am forced to cook in the vestibule
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005K7RVRI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003ASOEVU&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=15WS0QVFWAY32NN9D2PX

Edited by Scunnered on 03/08/2012 08:14:48 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Hiker critical after CO poisoning from stove on 03/08/2012 14:36:50 MST Print View

Hi Stuart

> I will get some of these visual CO detectors for when I am forced to cook in the vestibule
But will you achieve anything with them?
NO guarrantees are given, NO sensitivity is quoted, NO response time is given.

In fact, one person commented:
"These patches are a complete waste of money. Would you use a smoke alarm that just changed colour? Carbon monoxide kills very quickly. The only thing these are any good for is helping the coroner determin cause of death. Sorry to sound hard but I work in the gas industry and am constantly amazed by peoples ignorance when it come to their own safety."

I have been cooking in my vestibule for 20+ years. What matters are 1) a low-CO stove and 2) ventilation.

Cheers

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: Re: Re: Hiker critical after CO poisoning from stove on 03/09/2012 06:24:41 MST Print View

> NO guarantees are given, NO sensitivity is quoted, NO response time is given.
True, but these have been on the market for many years and are marketed (by reputable companies) for the purpose of preventing CO poisoning in a domestic environment. If they were ineffective or misleading then they would have been withdrawn.

> I have been cooking in my vestibule for 20+ years.
I bet this guy has too, but this time something went wrong, with either his stove or lantern.

Given that these CO indicators are small, lightweight and inexpensive I think that they are worth consideration when using a stove or lantern in any confined space such as a hut, snow hole or tent.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Hiker critical after CO poisoning from stove on 03/09/2012 06:42:35 MST Print View

That lantern. There lies the real culprit. Sad situation that could have been avoided easily. Best wishes for him and his family.

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: Re: Hiker critical after CO poisoning from stove on 03/09/2012 08:23:32 MST Print View

Pure speculation, but I suspect the lantern too. It is currently dark from ~6pm so he could have had it on for several hours, possibly inside the tent, whereas a stove is normally on for just a few minutes at a time. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: Hiker critical after CO poisoning from stove on 03/10/2012 02:13:51 MST Print View

From his partner: “He did not make an outdoor fire as the wind had picked up. He used his Camping Gaz light and a small stove in the tent instead. It was something Phil had always done. His decision to use the light and stove in this tent on this trip appears to have been an error of judgment. He was still ­unconscious this evening, there were just a few small involuntary reflexive movements, no response to voice commands.”

Not good.

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
Re: Re: Hiker critical after CO poisoning from stove on 03/22/2012 16:10:54 MDT Print View

Good news - this guy has just come out of the coma and is expected to recover. A close call.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-17444034