Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 Arrived!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Shoulder straps... on 03/17/2012 15:50:57 MDT Print View

Mike - do they rotate outward like on the Ozone? Those shoulder straps were attached with a bolt (I think you actually had one of these so I am stating the obvious to you) and would rotate out depending on the width of the users shoulders. I suspect they don't given the new torso adjustment system (?)

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Shoulder straps... on 03/17/2012 17:32:59 MDT Print View

David, I've never owned the Ozone but the adjustments on the Blaze are just slots. The slots are spaced an inch apart with the last set of slots being farther apart than the rest.

I think the shoulder straps on the Blaze have quite a bit more length in the adjustable webbing and maybe even the padded part of the shoulder strap is longer on than the shoulder straps on the Crown. Maybe Miguel could chime in regarding a comparison of the shoulder strap length since he has both packs. The longer shoulder straps on the Blaze provide a bit of forgiveness in selecting a torso length IMO and is what is missing in the Crown.

I am also undecided as to whether I like the narrower webbing straps used on the shoulder straps on the Crown. Although I know that the shoulder straps don't really carry that much weight, they just seem too light to me somehow. I suspect this is just me resisting innovation. It does save weight and they are probably plenty strong with the narrower webbing. The Blaze has much more substantial straps and buckles but of course this all adds to the weight of the Blaze.

I'm just bummed out that I can't fit the Crown.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Shoulder straps... on 03/17/2012 23:55:49 MDT Print View

"I'm just bummed out that I can't fit the Crown."

Indeed.

Somehow pack makers never consult us....

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
Curious on 03/18/2012 00:52:42 MDT Print View

One thing I'm curious about is the weight carrying capacity of the crown vs the blaze. GG's website states that both packs are rated for 35 lbs, even though the Blaze's frame seems to be a bit stiffer. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

FWIW, I took a 5 day trip loaded up with about 28 lbs max and the Crown felt great.

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Locale: SoCal
crown vs blaze padding on 03/20/2012 17:41:37 MDT Print View

I haven't seen anything about comparing the padding on the 2 packs. Could those that have tried both please comment on the padding (especially for shoulder straps and hipbelt)? I'm also interested in hipbelt stiffness.
Thanks!

Emil Gazda
(Emilio)

Locale: Southeast
Crown Hipbelt on 03/22/2012 05:37:45 MDT Print View

I just received my Crown yesterday. The hipbelt is adequately padded and once worn seems to retain the shape of your hips. I would be careful when choosing a hipbelt size. I am 32 waist and went with a Medium. I had to cinch it down almost completely. A small would have been better in my case. May have to switch it out if I drop 2 or 3 pounds.

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Re: Crown Hipbelt on 03/22/2012 11:59:51 MDT Print View

Thanks. Good to know about the hipbelt sizing, I'm 30".

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 Arrived! on 03/24/2012 22:34:59 MDT Print View

I tried this pack on and actually like the way it fits. I might actually look at it again tomorrow.

Edited by reacttocontact on 03/24/2012 22:36:14 MDT.

Richard Juen
(skinkrj1) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: REI on 03/24/2012 22:55:45 MDT Print View

I picked up the Crown V.C. 60 at the REI Seattle store earlier this week. They had 1 Long, which I got, and 2 Regulars. They also had some Blaze packs to compare side by side. So far I have gone on 2 hikes about 10 miles each and could not be happier. I upgraded from the old Jansport external frame pack. No more shoulder pain! The weight of the pack rested very comfortably on my hips the whole time with minimal adjustment needed. The pack comes with the Medium hip belt and I will need the Large. REI will not provide for an exchange of the hipbelt, therefore I will have to go to Granite Gear for that. Oh well.

Edited by skinkrj1 on 04/05/2012 13:07:10 MDT.

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

crown vs blaze on 03/28/2012 09:04:35 MDT Print View

I found a Crown large at REI yesterday and a Blaze small.
I'm a 19" torso and the large was way too big, the shoulder straps were sewn to the pack ~ 2" above my shoulders. It had a M hipbelt and I had to pull the straps all the way for it to fit my 30" waist - with an empty pack. With 25 lbs in it, it might have been too big.
I didn't load either of them as they didn't fit, but in regards to padding, I'd say the Blaze hipbelt is twice as thick and twice as rigid as the Crown hipbelt. The Crown hipbelt had a better fit somehow, at least with an empty pack.
The shoulder straps on the Crown are just a bit wider and a bit more rigid than the Blaze, but also flat and less thick.
The Crown back frame is pretty flexible. The Blaze back frame is more rigid, and flexes less. The Nimbus suspension doesn't flex at all - for comparison.
The Crown large had about 2-1/2 lbs on the REI scale.

Hopefully I'll find a medium Crown in the future and load it.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
Hipbelt on 03/28/2012 13:23:52 MDT Print View

I had to exchange my medium hipbelt for a small. With a 30 inch waist I really had to cinch down the medium till there was no strap left.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Hipbelt on 03/28/2012 14:49:03 MDT Print View

The hipbelt is one of my favorite things about this pack. I'm planning on taking it for a test hike in the next day or two, and I'll try to report back soon.

Barbara K
(Barbara)

Locale: So Cal
REI on 03/28/2012 20:41:52 MDT Print View

I backordered a Crown regular size on line from REI today. The stores near me dont have it in stock (2 REIs and an A16.) They're not saying what the delivery date might be yet. I used the REWARDS20 and my $2.47 dividend :-)

Edited by Barbara on 03/28/2012 20:42:28 MDT.

Drew Jay
(drewjh) - F

Locale: Central Coast
Framesheets on 05/17/2012 15:32:29 MDT Print View

Wanted to add a clarification on frame sheet stiffness as I couldn't seem to find this information before trying/buying these packs in person. The Crown VC frame sheet is super flexy. If you empty the pack and stand it up it droops considerably under its own weight. You could fold it nearly in half very easily. I don't know if the difference is in the frame sheet or the thicker foam, but the Vapor Trail is considerably stiffer. It will stand up straight under its own weight. I actually prefer the design on the Vapor Trail over the Crown because of the stiffer frame and cushier belt and shoulder straps. The Crown back panel is definitely cooler though. What really surprised me in person is the Blaze frame sheet. It is WAY stiffer than the Crown or VT. Rating its capacity the same as the Crown is confusing at best.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Framesheets on 05/17/2012 15:55:11 MDT Print View

Not to mention that the belt is firmer and thicker on the Blaze so it will definitely carry more load. THe shoulder straps are also wider and longer (padded portion). The Crown is essentially frameless and I suspect you could get better stiffness with a Z-lite pad in say, a Jam.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 -vs- Vapor Trail on 05/18/2012 16:48:09 MDT Print View

Is there anyone who had a great experience using the Vapor Trail and has now used the Crown VC? If so, any thoughts about how the two packs compare when it comes to carry comfort? The reason I asked is that I want to pick up an extra pack to be a loaner. I had given my VT to someone in need… and I find I need one more loaner pack. Given my positive experience with the VT, I thought the Crown VC would be a great replacement since it's being advertised as the VT refined and improved.

I gave it quick try at REI today and didn't find it as comfortable as I remember the VT. Of course, there are four possibilities. My memory sucks. I have gotten used to the Gorilla, the Crown carries differently (maybe better for me), which is effecting my assessment, I was using simulated weight which means the pack wasn't as carefully packed… and since the frame sheet is only semi ridged it might not be performing optimally, or that it's carry comfort has dropped (at least for my back shape).

What are people finding?

--Mark

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 -vs- Vapor Trail on 05/18/2012 21:45:26 MDT Print View

Hi Mark - I found the suspension (combination of shoulder harness and belt) to be superior on the VT. The Crown adds a bunch of features but to keep the weight in check it forgoes the better suspension of the VT. At least this was my finding (same thing with the Blaze v.s. the Ozone).

Drew Jay
(drewjh) - F

Locale: Central Coast
Comparison on 05/19/2012 19:08:39 MDT Print View

I have not done a trip in either yet, but have loaded both up with my gear and food in the appropriate weight range. Based on that the VT was much more comfortable for me. I disliked the Crown immediately but had the totally opposite reaction to the VT. My current plan is to go with the VT for my 2-3 day pack, the only thing that could change that is the temptation to try a 2012 Gorilla.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Comparison on 05/19/2012 23:01:21 MDT Print View

I would be interested if you end up comparing the GGVT to the 2012 Gorilla. I switched from the VT to the original Gorilla when it first came out. I thought the VT was slightly more comfortable, but the advantage was slight, and in every other way the Gorilla was a better match for me. The 2012 Gorilla is more comfortable for me than the original, I think it's a good, maybe better that the VT. Of course, I could be bias, since I own the 2012 Gorilla, and don't own a GGVT anymore :(

--Mark

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Back "pad" on 05/20/2012 00:35:42 MDT Print View

Sorry, as much as I like the design of the GG Crown 60 I can't abidee its clammy back pad, regardless of how many grooves it has. Who thunk that one up?