Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
shemagh/bandanna for high altitude?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
shemagh/bandanna for high altitude? on 03/04/2012 18:10:43 MST Print View

I am wondering if anyone has ever used a shemagh in high elevations during summer to protect their face from the intense sun. Mostly I am thinking about snow glare from extend walks across snowfields.
Would it get too/hot stuffy? Would I be better off just covering the bottom of my face with a regular bandanna? Either way they both seem like very multi use items.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: shemagh/bandanna for high altitude? on 03/04/2012 18:19:25 MST Print View

A bandanna works. The only trick is the fastening method. I generally use a large safety pin.

The issue is that you can get a terrible sunburn if you have to cross a high altitude snowfield on a sunny day. It is extra bad because the radiation is coming up from the ground direction, not straight down from the sky. So, you tend to get a sunburn on the underside of your chin, the roof of your mouth, and the underside of your nose. Any sort of cloth is useful in blocking that.

I've also used a white silk balaclava, although it is not as multipurpose as the bandanna. Just suppose the wind whips that off your head. Now what are you going to use?

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Silk bandana on 03/07/2012 08:28:34 MST Print View

Silk bandana is my go to multi use item. You can get them in a 42"x42" that would be large enough to use as a shemagh, but not near as heavy as a traditional cotton one. I've hardly ever needed to rig it shemagh stile, but I do stick it under my hat to shade the back of my neck quite often.

Also use as a pot holder, towel, prefilter, etc.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: shemagh/bandanna for high altitude? on 03/07/2012 08:33:36 MST Print View

A bandanna is the cheap/easy route. No free lunch on making things stuffy-- you will be covering your face. A shemagh is usually made of loosely woven cotton, so it will breathe well and it will cover your whole head and face.

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - F
Face cover on 03/07/2012 08:53:43 MST Print View

I like a Buff. It serves as scarf, face mask, full head cover with a ball cap.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Re: Face cover on 03/07/2012 09:11:25 MST Print View

Any thoughts on the sun blocking properties of a black mosquito head net?

George Davis
(nsiderbam) - M

Locale: mid-Atlantic
Re: Face cover on 03/22/2012 17:33:34 MDT Print View

I also like my buff, and was just using it as a balaclava last week on a 100-mile trip to keep the sun off my neck and face. Very light, kept me warm at night, and can be worn in a myriad of ways depending on what you need it to do (sun protection, stop sweat from dripping down your face, etc.).

Interestingly, some people I passed thought I was Muslim because I was using it to shield my whole face from the sun.