MYOG Wristies / Mitts (Merino)
Display Avatars Sort By:
todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
MYOG Wristies / Mitts (Merino) on 03/03/2012 16:55:17 MST Print View

I've enjoyed everyone's wristies over at hammockforums.net. I suffer from hands that get cold, and STAY cold. That's despite being otherwise fairly hot-natured.

I've considered re-purposing old sweaters like others have done (and probably still will). I settled on a fluffy pair of merino wool socks that I picked up cheap and have been sitting around since I wear low-cut socks most of the time.

I cut a short slit for my thumb. Then I decided I could widen it slightly and I also have convertible mitts! I can fold back the "fingers" portion, tuck it under the (backhand-side) wrist flap. In addition the folded over part creates a double layer of fluffy merino for great warmth!

All I have to do for a nearly enclosed mitten is twist slightly & the nearly sealed thumb hole is in my palm.

Add my SUL ultra hi-tech WP overmitts (bread bags) or my OR WP mitts & I can stay warm in very cold & wet conditions.
pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
another
pic
';klj
jhg

Edited by funnymoney on 03/03/2012 16:57:22 MST.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor)

Locale: Northwest US
Mitt on 03/03/2012 17:18:47 MST Print View

That is very clever. I wonder if the hole could be positioned so that they could still be used as a sock. That would be a great multipurpose item.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Re: MYOG Wristies / Mitts (Merino) on 03/03/2012 17:31:40 MST Print View

Thanks Colin.

Yes, I forgot to mention they still work as sleep socks too. I prefer a loose sock for sleeping and snug fit for hiking to prevent blisters.

What I don't know is if the hold in the arch will make me cool down there.....I'm gonna find out though!

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor)

Locale: Northwest US
Mitts on 03/03/2012 22:38:28 MST Print View

I forgot to ask, did you do anything around the hole to prevent unraveling? I'd be afraid that the hole would get bigger over time.

Glad to hear that they can still be used as sleeping socks. I have a problem with cold fingers (Reynauds), and I will definitely try this.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: MYOG Wristies / Mitts (Merino) on 03/04/2012 08:46:15 MST Print View

Todd,

Great idea.

Where on the sock did you place the hole? Are these fitted socks or tube socks?

Daryl

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Re: Mitts on 03/04/2012 12:19:01 MST Print View

Colin,

I haven't "finished" the edges of the hole yet. That said I am surprised that it doesn't appear that it will unravel easily. I cut "across" the weave so the lines in the fabric seem to stop it from unraveling.

Of course, with time and use I'm certain it will unravel if not finished. I'm thinking stretchy tape (bias?) would be best here.

Suggestions?

Todd

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

MYOG Wristies / Mitts (Merino) on 03/04/2012 12:20:39 MST Print View

Thanks Daryl.

I'll post a pic later to show you where I placed the hole. These are fitted socks w/a defined heel, etc.

John West
(skyzo)

Locale: Borah Gear
Re: MYOG Wristies / Mitts (Merino) on 03/04/2012 13:56:24 MST Print View

Very cool, I was looking for a more multi-use glove, this looks like the hot ticket. I'll have to try and make some soon