Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Panel width on 03/05/2012 14:31:52 MST Print View

The two side panels are 54 inches wide, 67 7/8 inch long

The two end panels are 48 inches wide, 72 1/4 inch long

The diagonal between them is 86 3/4 inches

The vestibule pieces are odd triangles - 72 1/4 x 72 1/4 x 67 7/8 inches - the 67 7/8 length goes on the zipper - the seam between the end piece and the vestibule goes with the weave of the fabric. You don't want to sew the end piece along the weave to the vestibule that goes at an angle to the weave:

layout

The vestibule requires fabric that is 59 inches wide.

All of these dimensions don't include the 1/2 inch seam allowance all the way around.

If I was going to do this in Cuben that is 54 inches wide, I'de make the side panels 53 inches wide and I'd have the vestibule as big as possible to still fit on the 54 inch Cuben. So, there'de be maybe a 4 inch gap between wall and ground. Trailstar works fine with a much bigger gap.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
thanks on 03/05/2012 14:55:36 MST Print View

Thanks for the clarification. I happen to have 1 scrap of 60" wide silnylon 9' long and 1 scrap 54" wide 15 feet long. It is almost like fate that this thread popped up.

I don't quite get the part about not sewing along the weave. Can you explain this weave stuff a little more? Like how to know what way the weave is going, and how to orient it when sewing. I have never paid attention to it in the past.

Edited by bwortman on 03/05/2012 14:59:56 MST.

Stuart Allie
(stuart.allie)

Locale: Australia
Re: half pyramid on 03/05/2012 15:15:22 MST Print View

I'm surprised nobody has pointed this out yet, but this is very close to a tarp version of the SMD Lunar Solo, particularly the new 2012 version. And Ron Moak has said that he is considering making a tarp version; i.e. a LS without the floor and bug netting.

That's not a criticism - I think it's a great design with a lot of potential.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: half pyramid on 03/05/2012 15:28:19 MST Print View

"very close to a tarp version of the SMD Lunar Solo"

and as has been pointed out, similar to 1920s Royce tent

and pyramids have been around for a long time too - look at old Civil War pictures for example.

I just looked at the Lunar Solo - yeah, that would be nice. Probably not necesary to pull out the side a little making it a hexagon. Or maybe that would make it a little better in wind?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: thanks on 03/05/2012 15:39:16 MST Print View

"I don't quite get the part about not sewing along the weave."

The fabric comes in a roll, 60 inches wide and however long they cut it off for you.

The threads in the fabric go in the "long" direction and in the "wide" direction. If you pull on these it will stretch a little differently. Ideally, if you sew two edges together, they should both be in the "long" direction or in the "wide" direction.

Edges that go at an angle, like the "zipper" or "ground" in my picture above stretch differently. You want to avoid sewing an edge that goes in the "long" or "wide" direction to an edge that goes at an angle. When you set up the tent it won't be as taught. There will be more wrinkles.

In the picture above, the edge labeled "end" goes in the "long" direction and should be sewed to the end triangle piece on an edge that also goes in the "long" direction.

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)
Backcountry shelter on 03/05/2012 16:39:50 MST Print View

The BCS fits that criteria and is based of the george tarp with some modifications.

More information is here
http://seekoutside.com/backcountry-shelter-2/

Backcountry Shelter

and here is a review
http://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/23/threadid/1176/scope/posts/Default.aspx

It actually opens up into a tarp or accepts an add in panel that expands it to 100 + sq feet.

We are working on a smaller trekking supported pole version as well, that should have a review available.

Sorry for the commercial post

Kevin

Colin Parkinson
(parkinson1157)

Locale: Ontario Canada
My Half Pyramid on 04/08/2012 12:19:37 MDT Print View

Just finished it and set it up for seam sealing.

I must say an impressive shelter, the room and height is amazing.Half Pyramid

Edited by parkinson1157 on 04/08/2012 12:24:53 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: My Half Pyramid on 04/08/2012 12:31:50 MDT Print View

That looks great!

What are the demensions?

I think pyramid/tipi/trailstar type tent is much better than alternatives.

Colin Parkinson
(parkinson1157)

Locale: Ontario Canada
My half pyramid on 04/08/2012 13:19:08 MDT Print View

Jerry it is your design, with some small modifications

i.e. no cat cut as I could not sew the curve.
I use silnylon tie outs(1" long) with round 4" elastic extensions to help keep the tarp taunt.
I added a tie out on the back seam 2' up, so I can add a exterior back pole to make up the lack of cat curve.

I also put a second peak cap on the inside of the tent to hide my crappy seams. No, I mean to act as a tent pole wear prevention device, yeah that's it.

I also ran the zipper up under the peak cap to avoid the dreaded zipper hole at the top.

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Little bug out on 04/09/2012 09:00:21 MDT Print View

Fwiw we have a small hybrid tipi, mid in the works that is pretty similar but has its own unique features . It's sort of a scaled down bcs
Kevin

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Little bug out on 04/09/2012 10:27:48 MDT Print View

"Fwiw we have a small hybrid tipi"

How about some more info? pictures? link?

The only problem for a gear supplier with a pyramid is it's sort of generic so it's hard to come out with a unique product and you probably don't want to compete on just low price

But MLD and Oware, for two, have pyramids and the MLD trailstar is a pretty unique derivative that seems to be selling well.

kevin timm
(ktimm) - M

Photos on 04/09/2012 10:34:41 MDT Print View

I will add some photos and links as the information is ready and finalized . It will probably be about 2 weeks. It has some unique twists to it.
Kevin