Forum Index » GEAR » Neoair All-Season questions

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Neoair All-Season questions on 03/01/2012 09:22:06 MST Print View

I was under the impression that it was OK to blow up the Neoair All-Season by mouth since it doesn't contain any insulating material. I went to my local gear shop and wanted to see how long it took for me to blow it up but the salesperson insisted that it shouldn't be done and wouldn't let me try it on their sample pad.

So, can anyone tell me definitively whether it's ok to blow it up by mouth or do I have to use some other inflation system?

And, does it take the same amount of air to blow it up as the regular (yellow) Neoair?

Thanks!

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Re: Neoair All-Season questions on 03/01/2012 09:32:56 MST Print View

You shouldn't blow up any pad by mouth. Your breath contains a lot of moisture. It will condense in the pad. At best, over time you'll get some heat-robbing water. At worst, in winter, you'll get ice cubes. This is true for all inflatables.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
Re. on 03/01/2012 09:37:08 MST Print View

Blowing up by mouth can promote mold and bacteria growth inside the pad, and put moisture inside with the air, which can reduce the insulating property of the air inside. Dry air insulates better.

All that being said, I'd bet that nearly everybody who uses a Neo-Air blows it up by mouth. So, that's how they are really being used in the field anyway.

If I worked at the store, I would forbid blowing them up by mouth in the store unless I had some suitable way to ensure sanitary safety conditions for anybody doing it. Sharing mouth nozzles wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Re: Re: Neoair All-Season questions on 03/01/2012 09:38:29 MST Print View

>> You shouldn't blow up any pad by mouth.

OK, realistically, I'm finding it hard to believe that all of the Neoair users out there are carrying additional inflation tools.

For argument's sake, let's assume non-winter camping (i.e. temps 30+ degrees.)

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Neoair Blowing up by mouth on 03/01/2012 09:44:57 MST Print View

Directly from Cascade Designs website

"Lasting Performance: The All Season mattress can be inflated directly without the worry of exhaled moisture wetting insulation and decreasing performance."

http://cascadedesigns.com/en/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/neoair-all-season/product

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: Neoair All-Season questions on 03/01/2012 09:51:42 MST Print View

As others have said it is likely a sanitary issue. I have always blown up my pads Neo-Air, Thermarests, etc. by mouth without any obvious drawbacks. When going to the REI garage sales I always bring some alcohol wipes with so that I can test out the air mattresses for leaks.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Re: Re: Neoair All-Season questions on 03/01/2012 10:03:20 MST Print View

>> As others have said it is likely a sanitary issue.

I don't want to make this the point of discussion but it really wasn't. In fact, she had no issue letting me blow up a different pad. She was very clear about not introducing any human breath because of the moisture content.

@Randy, thanks for the reference. I did check their website... not sure how I missed that.

Andrew Jennings
(breaktheshoal) - MLife

Locale: High Desert
My $0.02 on 03/01/2012 10:22:15 MST Print View

If Cascade Designs says it's fine to inflate the pad using your mouth than I see no reason not to. That being said, I never do. Before I received my NeoAirs from the backcountry sale in January I looked into this issue as well and decided that I didn't want to take the chance of introducing mold & bacteria into my pad. Some other members recommended the Instaflator so I went with that and I'm glad that I did. It's extremely easy to use and inflates my pads quickly (not to mention extremely light). To each his own, but for this germ-a-phobe I'm sticking with the Instaflator.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Neoair All-Season questions on 03/01/2012 10:30:42 MST Print View

I find a lot of gear shop salespeople aren't very knowledgable, even at the good local shops. They just aren't as analytical about gear as much of the BPL community, instead relying on whatever tidbit of "wisdom" they pick up from magazines, internet, and marketing materials.

This person probably saw that the neo-airs are warmer and "insulated" than usual air mats so assumed they used synth/down fill without actually understanding the technology behind the product. (Or at worse, they wanted to sell you a separate inflator system too).

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Well I'll be darned... on 03/01/2012 11:15:44 MST Print View

I can't find the citation for where I learned to never inflate by mouth. I'm thinking it might have been in one of the Clelland books or something, but not sure. Neat to see that Cascade Designs says it's not an issue in any of their pads. Well that certainly makes things easier...

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Re: Neoair All-Season questions on 03/01/2012 13:33:03 MST Print View

The All Season also comes with an inflate bag/stuff sack.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Re: Re: Re: Neoair All-Season questions on 03/01/2012 13:46:49 MST Print View

>> The All Season also comes with an inflate bag/stuff sack.

Oh, yeah... the stuff sack inflation system... have you tried it? Because if you can actually inflate the pad with it, you've got skills I'm obviously lacking... Honestly, we tried it for a few minutes and figured it would pretty much take forever to inflate the pad. The sack is too small and the fabric too stiff to capture much air. I was tempted to blow into the sack to inflate it which would obviously defeat the whole purpose!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Neoair All-Season questions on 03/01/2012 15:36:34 MST Print View

Thought as a option for blowing up in store. Could take a Microburst along. Yes the included stuff sack is lame.