Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » What Material do they use before they make Silnylon?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Locale: Eastern Canada
What Material do they use before they make Silnylon? on 02/29/2012 21:05:01 MST Print View

Learning to sew and just made my first really well done stuff sack. I think I am using some other fabric than what I am looking for though. It may be a mid weight nylon, I only had a 2 selections of nylon and I picked the lighter of the two.

Is there a lighter weight than Silnylon fabric that is just Nylon before treating it with Silocone? I think that's what I am looking for.

The stuff sack that I made weighs .8 ounces, I honestly expected it to weigh around 3.5 or so.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: What Material do they use before they make Silnylon? on 02/29/2012 21:43:40 MST Print View

There are quite a few different weights. 1.1oz/sqyd and 1.9oz/sqyd are quite common. These of course are the weights of the plain material before silicone treatment.

Take a look at Diy Gear Supply. They have quite a few waterproof (silnylon) and breathable (not-treated) fabrics.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: What Material do they use before they make Silnylon? on 03/01/2012 07:47:37 MST Print View

owfinc.com and thru-hiker.com have 0.9 oz nylon

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Fabric.html has 0.65 oz nylon - that 8D stuff is 0.67 oz and is really nice, and very cheap too. I made a liner for a sleeping bag that turned out nicely. Seems to be down-proof. I see other colors are coming soon. $7.50 per yard.

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Locale: Eastern Canada
Thank you! on 03/01/2012 11:22:09 MST Print View

Thank you both! I have had very limited selection when it came to fabric at my local stores however I was able to find a source for Spinnaker.. doubt I'll use it though.

Cheers and thanks again!

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: What Material do they use before they make Silnylon? on 03/01/2012 16:52:06 MST Print View

Thank the Lord they are getting different colors for the 8d. That green is LOUD.

Ryan

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: What Material do they use before they make Silnylon? on 03/01/2012 17:01:12 MST Print View

I was initially skeptical about the "Kelly" green, but now I think it's okay

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: What Material do they use before they make Silnylon? on 03/01/2012 17:15:43 MST Print View

Yeah, just depends on what you use it for I guess. I made a Whitney down jacket with it and I look like the Incredible Hulk's taller brother.

You wouldn't like me very much when I'm angry.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 03/01/2012 17:16:53 MST.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Re: What Material do they use before they make Silnylon? on 03/01/2012 17:18:54 MST Print View

RE: 8D-KG

I bought some for my down quilt and I don't think it's too harsh. Used to camp in a Eureka Timberline the same color.

Edited by cobberman on 03/01/2012 17:19:24 MST.

Lawrence Fink
(MagnaFabrics) - F
Silicon coated nylon on 03/18/2012 14:09:31 MDT Print View

We offer a 60 inch Durable water repellent nylon fabric in the ACU camouflage pattern at only $1.25 a yard. I do not have a sample of the sylnylon but I think this fabric is comparable or even better since it is a product that is made for the United States Army. You can get a free sample by contacting Magna Fabrisc at info@magnafabrics.com

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Silicon coated nylon on 03/18/2012 14:21:54 MDT Print View

A DWR fabric is nowhere near the same thing as silnylon. Before silnylon, it was all PU coated nylon, cotton or silk before that.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Silicon coated nylon on 03/18/2012 15:27:41 MDT Print View

"Silicon coated nylon"

That's pretty funny, Lawrence.

It might be silicone-coated, but not silicon-coated.

--B.G.--