November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Considering a Notch
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Mathisen

Locale: Oregon
Considering a Notch on 02/29/2012 09:04:56 MST Print View

I just turned thirty a couple of days ago and for my birthday my wife has given me the go ahead to get a solo shelter. I've been looking at the Notch for a month or so but haven't seen any reviews. I understand this shelter has only been out for a short time so there isn't going to be a whole lot out there. Are there any Notch owners out there that can share there initial impression on setup ect.
Also for a while I had been eying the MLD Cricket but never saw any reviews. Anyone with a Cricket care to share their experience's?

Jon Leinen
Notch info on 02/29/2012 14:14:26 MST Print View

Plenty of Tarptent Notch info here:

I'm placing my order in the next week or so...

Warren Liick
(Warren_G) - F
Tarptent on 02/29/2012 15:00:08 MST Print View

I love my Tarptent Moment, I would happily endorse any of Henry's designs.

Kevin Haskins
(kevperro) - F

Locale: Washington State
My $0.02 on 02/29/2012 18:53:27 MST Print View

I just bought and recieved a Notch. I don't have any use to report at this point other than setting it up in the back yard. I do have two decades of backpacking experience and a couple thousand trail miles under my belt with another solo shelter so I have a pretty good idea of what I want in a shelter and how I'll use it.

At this point, I think it is the perfect shelter for how I hike. I use trekking poles 100% of the time, hike alone 95% of the time and I prioritize weight, ease of setup, small footprint, stability and packed size.

It nails all those areas and it fits me well. It isn't a super size shelter like the Rainbow but that isn't what I wanted. I like the symmetric design that is compact because it helps in ease of site selection. I don't spend a lot of time in a shelter so for me it is end of day where I read and sleep. I get up in the morning and pack my tent and move-out. It provides PLENTY of coverage with the dual vestibule design but the actual sleeping area (inner) is fairly compact. That would be a problem if it were a single wall shelter due to the proximity of condensation but it is a non-issue with the Notch.