Yet Another New Wood Stove ?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Yet Another New Wood Stove ? on 02/29/2012 00:42:00 MST Print View

I'm not into the wood stoves like some on here, but i found this on Craigslist and thought it might be of interest. Yet another option:

http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/2822415044.html

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GepDOp-qw3c&feature=youtu.be

M

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: Yet Another New Wood Stove ? on 03/02/2012 15:13:57 MST Print View

"The total weight is 27oz." Seems a little heavy.

A BushBuddy Ultra is about 5oz. A Ti-Tri Sidewinder Caldera Cone for an Evernew 1300ml pot is about 4.5oz with the Inferno option and about 2.75oz in just "plain" wood mode.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

From CraigsList:

For sale, brand new, lightweight, collapsible, portable, backpacking wood burning stove / fire pit. "HexStove"

304 Stainless Steel, Laser Cut. 8" x 10" x 5" assembled - 8" x 10" x .300" disassembled

The HexStove also has the ability to turn into a fire pit for leave no trace camping. It holds a variety of pots and pans securely and stably, and even large heavy full size kitchen frying pans in the 'fire pit' set-up.

This production model is aesthetically pleasing with large radii on all corners to prevent damage to you backpack and hands. Construction is from 20 ga. (.036") 304SS. Designed and manufactured in West Michigan. The total weight is 27oz. The grill grate is approximately 5" across the flats on the hex and fits a backcountry.com 1100ml Titanium pot like a glove. The bowl opening in the fit pit assembly is approximately 8" across the flats, and the grill grate drops into the bottom to provide an air gap for coals. The applications are endless for any outdoor enthusiast. Weekend or Extended Backpacking Trips, Day Hikes, Car Camping, and a Survivalist's Bug-out-Bag necessity! Carry a handful of twigs out on the ice with you while you fish... take it with you to your hunting blind... keep it in your trunk or the tool box in your truck bed... make a dehydrated meal with just one match and hand full of twigs.

For comparison a MSR Whisperlite stove, 22oz fuel bottle, and pump with 1/3 of a tank of white gas weighs 1.90 lbs. This stove weighs 1.69lbs

I have several so all interested can experience the easy of assembly, simplicity, and unique design of this portable wood stove. I take Paypal, and Postal M.O. $50 + Shipping

A smaller scaled version (60% smaller) is available as well. This stove works amazing with wood fuel, or in conjunction with a small alcohol stove. It's a great wind guard and pot stand when used this way.

http://youtu.be/GepDOp-qw3c

Email for more pictures, and videos.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Cool Looking on 03/02/2012 15:46:40 MST Print View

It might be heavy but it has a cool looking design. The guy who designed it could reduce the weight by making it out of titanium and reduce the sheet thickness.

Ultra Magnus
(Ultra_Magnus) - F
Re: Re: Yet Another New Wood Stove ? on 03/02/2012 15:56:25 MST Print View

>"The total weight is 27oz." Seems a little heavy.

A little heavy? That's a freaking boat anchor!I really don't see what it offers over something like the CC with the inferno option. Also The ti emberlit is about 5.5oz...

BM

Edited by Ultra_Magnus on 03/02/2012 15:57:09 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Yet Another New Wood Stove ? on 03/02/2012 19:35:13 MST Print View

I like the fact that they see no trouble in pairing a 27 ounce stove with a titanium pot. Guess they want to keep it under 2.5 pounds.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by kthompson on 06/15/2012 16:17:11 MDT.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: Yet Another New Wood Stove ? on 03/02/2012 22:34:11 MST Print View

I like the fact that see no trouble in pairing a 27 ounce stove with a titanium pot. Guess they want to keep it under 2.5 pounds.
I think we're a little spoiled being around the UL crowd. The designs in the UL community have gotten pretty refined and efficient. If you're much over 5 ounces for a wood stove, then you're way heavy.

This design (the "Hex stove") doesn't have anything that elevates the wood off the floor the way a Ti-Tri Cone with the Inferno option does or a Bush Buddy. I'm sure the hex works fine, but I suspect it's not as efficient as some of the wood stoves we're used to seeing. BPL really is kind of an information exchange for UL (and backpacking in general ideas). I certainly appreciate it.

Seeing a 27 ounce stove (ouch), makes me realize just how lucky I am to have stumbled across BPL. :)

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Did You Watch on 03/02/2012 23:29:25 MST Print View

Its a heavy stove and not something I would want to carry in its current form, but I think the design has potential and could be lightened up by leaps and bounds. The question is would you carry it at 8-10oz?

Edited by Mountainfitter on 03/02/2012 23:33:28 MST.

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

Locale: UK
A similar stove design on 03/03/2012 03:05:57 MST Print View

Not the same, but Looks like inspired by a similar notion as the Honey Stove which has been around in Stainless steel since 2008 and has just been released in much lighter a Ti version.

It's designed to allow use with alcohol stoves or Trangia gas/multifuel burner heads too

(I have just acquired a pre-used Ti version - worked fine with a Starlyte stove and 850ml Ti Kettle - yet to try wood, but from all the reviews its a winner)

Ti Panels seem light and flimsy, but when assembled it feels solid enough.

SS Honey Stove

Ti Honey Stove

Honey Stove on You Tube

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Did You Watch on 03/04/2012 09:37:20 MST Print View

Its a heavy stove and not something I would want to carry in its current form, but I think the design has potential and could be lightened up by leaps and bounds. The question is would you carry it at 8-10oz?
Well, probably not. Even if you get the weight down to 8-10oz, a Ti-Tri Caldera Cone is still about half the weight. A BushBuddy or a Ti-Tri Caldera Cone (if you get the Sidewinder or ULC versions) will fit inside your pot. How would this hex stove be carried? The hex stove would store flat, which is something of an advantage, but I really do like being able to nest things inside my pot.

Also, a Ti-Tri Caldera Cone (with Inferno option) or BushBuddy elevate the wood off the floor for ease of burning and improved efficiency. The hex stove has no such sophistication.

I guess the one redeeming feature of the Hex stove is the price, but if they switch to titanium, I imagine the price advantage would be seriously eroded.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

kevperro .
(kevperro) - F

Locale: Washington State
Or you can try the Qiz Stove on 03/04/2012 17:51:28 MST Print View

This one looks interesting. I'm going to break-down and buy one of these wood burners before summer. I carried a zip stove 20 years ago for 500 miles of the PCT and it was a fantastic solution. Don't remember the weight but it was well over a pound so these < 3oz. solutions have me interested. You have to carry a zip lock big enough to cover your pan (soot) but that is a small trade-off for being liberated from carrying/worrying about fuel.

http://www.qiwiz.net/stoves.html

Jeff Boudah
(jboudah) - F
I'm the designer on 06/15/2012 15:24:49 MDT Print View

Hello Gentelmen,

Let me first introduce myself, I am Jeff, and I am the one who designed this stove... I see I'm a little late to the party, but better late than never, eh? I see some general unlove for the design it but hopefully I can alleviate some of the speculation, and maybe sway some opinions.

I do really appreciate all the feedback, and was a little surprised it was tread creation worthy on a ULbackpacking forum... for some reason I decided to google search "HexStove" today.

The concern about the efficiency because of the "base" is legitimate. I can understand that you would think it would choke it off. But the design of it provides so much interior volume that when you can fill the entire cavity of the stove with wood fuel, assuming you don't over fill it... it creates a sufficient convection current that it draws air from all 6 panel's slots, and if you rotate the door towards any breeze at all it takes off like a rocket! ha. When the stove is set up in the "FireBowl" configuration, it uses the grill grate in the bottom to elevate the coals. An air gap is provided by the top of the door.

The weight is a lot, I'm not going to deny that... It was the first design, and as an engineer continuous improvement is a must. I have my "Hex40" as the main stove now which scaled down version (%60 smaller) it is what i use on an actual backpacking trips. it weighs 9.25oz. This one is cheaper too, it uses so much less material!

[IMG]http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n385/jboudah/DSCN3393.jpg[/IMG]

Personally, I'm not afraid of 5.5oz (TI emberlit) Vs. 9.25oz (Hex40)... But some are... so I've got an answer for you guys too. A rev.3... This will open up the air slots (provide more flow too), it will have more grate opening, and a few bigger radii to chunk off more corners. This should bring the weight of the .036" SS down into the 8oz range. I will be prototyping this design from the same ga. Ti for now ONLY ONE... for myself! (one off material alone it $70 FML!)

I will report the weight once this is completed... but given the densities of each material it calculates out to possibly be UNDER 5oz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did the "math" I'd need an order of TEN (10) to make them and sell them for $55 from Ti. I also have a nylon pouch with a draw string I sew up as a carrying method included now.

Drop me a line, Jeff_Boudah@hotmail.com

Jeff Boudah
(jboudah) - F
Pics on 06/15/2012 15:40:03 MDT Print View

I just wanted to mention that reducing the ga. on material is not really an option. First, the panel clearances are designed with this ga. in mind... just cutting one of thinner ga. will result in a extremely loose assembly. Secondly, durability! This will last the rest of your hiking career... It will handle many years of abuse, and not get all bent out of shape.

Used my Hex40 for 7 days on Isle Royale... burned nothing but wood!

FireBowl!!!

Jim Larkey
(jimlarkey) - MLife

Locale: NoCO
Bell's IPA on 06/15/2012 19:45:34 MDT Print View

Jeff...Like your taste in beer...I enjoyed the pictured IPA on a canoe trip on the Two Hearted River a while back. Doesn't get any better than that.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n385/jboudah/DSCN3393.jpg

Cheers,
Jim

Edited by jimlarkey on 06/15/2012 19:46:33 MDT.

Jeff Boudah
(jboudah) - F
Re Two Hearted on 06/17/2012 05:42:39 MDT Print View

I hear the Duck Lake wild fire did a number up there, but the bridge is still intact.

I'm a MI guy, Bells Brewery is about an hour drive for me to Kalamazoo, fun place, great beer, good people!

Jeff Boudah
(jboudah) - F
Yet Another New Wood Stove? on 08/19/2012 12:17:53 MDT Print View

I've started a Facebook page for these stoves. If you'd like to support me add me as a friend!

http://www.facebook.com/hex.stove

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Boudah
(jboudah) - F
RE: Yet Another New Wood Stove ? on 12/29/2012 14:13:57 MST Print View

Will have several Titanium Hex40 (small) stoves cut in a few weeks.

Weight est. 5-5.5oz

$65+Shipping

See facebook page for updates.

http://www.facebook.com/hexstoves <<<<<<< UPDATED FACEBOOK PAGE

Edited by jboudah on 12/30/2012 20:39:50 MST.

Jeff Boudah
(jboudah) - F
Ti stoves + a new design on 01/27/2013 06:03:06 MST Print View

Here are the Hex40-Ti stoves... 5.42oz www.facebook.com/hexstoves

Hexstove@gmail.com

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n385/jboudah/1-7_zps90be8ada.jpg

Here is the Hex CC - the newest design. 10.65oz

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n385/jboudah/1-7_zps3f23748c.jpg

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n385/jboudah/2-8_zps7e80f1e5.jpg

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n385/jboudah/DSCN7473_zpsef25c3ab.jpg

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net
FireFly XL is coming . . . on 01/28/2013 14:18:54 MST Print View

For those who want something more capacious, I've designed an XL version of the FireFly that will have an inch more width and height for the enclosed portion of the firebox, with permanent pot stands lifting your cooking vessel 2.5" above that.

ETA early to mid-Feb.

Stay tuned!

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Dans Titanium Marvel is coming soon also on 01/28/2013 20:29:45 MST Print View

Titanium Marvel is on it's way soon also ;-)

Jeff Boudah
(jboudah) - F
Tent-stoves on 02/10/2013 10:39:19 MST Print View

So, I've recently acquired a tig welder to do a whole slew of projects, so I'm going to make some small one-man tent-stoves for my winter adventures (a turbo kit for my 79-LTD is on the list! ;))

I was going to go with 6" but i feel 8" is a much better size. This is just a rough concept, and size reference.

Tent Stoves

http://www.facebook.com/hexstoves

hexstove@gmail.com

Edited by jboudah on 02/10/2013 10:43:48 MST.