Forum Index » GEAR » Titanium JetBoil Sol -- CAUTION

Display Avatars Sort By:
Here There
(cowexnihilo) - MLife
other thread removed on 03/01/2012 09:52:48 MST Print View

I just saw that the original thread (titled: Orange thingy on JB sol ti) reporting a problem was removed by Ryan Jordan. Curious about the reasoning behind that, and about whether this thread will disappear as well.

-David

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
What's in a name? on 03/01/2012 10:09:23 MST Print View

HJ: Your daughter is the one on the right? Or left?

I met someone two months ago named Svea and I DIDN'T say, "Like the stove?", assuming she got that a lot. But maybe only from middle-aged backpackers?

One could do a variation of Sarah Palin's kid-naming (Piper, Willow, Cessna, Sockeye, Glacier, Thumper, Salmonberry, etc) with backpacking gear: Svea, Trangia, Scott, Robbins, Kayadyn, Addidas, etc. Then on the first day of kindergarten as the teacher called out, "Thermarest Jones?". . .

I saw a birth announcement locally for "James Tiberius Smith". I sure hope BOTH parents were Trekkies!

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Titanium JetBoil Sol -- Caution -- REVISED on 03/01/2012 15:57:30 MST Print View

OK. Based on the input, questions, comments, etc, I've revised the post. Really revised it. Here's a link if you'd like to have a look: Titanium JetBoil Sol -- Caution -- REVISED.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Titanium JetBoil Sol -- Caution on 03/01/2012 16:09:09 MST Print View

I'll add my 2 cents to this: If I pay $150 for a stove and it cannot resist a little spill of some ramen, I'm sure as hell sending it back.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Titanium JetBoil Sol -- Caution -- REVISED on 03/01/2012 16:32:21 MST Print View

So now you say it might have an 'occasional' problem. No, I think you should simply say that there have been a couple of cases of 'blank' happening and you are investigating with JetBoil (I really hope you are doing this). Otherwise it sounds like all JetBoil Ti's will exhibit this anomaly occasionally. Which is simply not the case.

Connie Dodson
(ConnieDodson) - F

Locale: Montana
simple answer on 03/01/2012 17:21:53 MST Print View

It would be simpler to have JetBoil put on the "hangtag" and on the box and in the Manual, the JetBoil is for boiling water.

Do not fill above the fill-line.
Do not use a windscreen.
etc.

with the international "orange circle-diagonal slash" symbol.

Then Sarah Kirkconnell "Trail Cooking" could advertise JetBoil BIG TIME.

More serious, perhaps, I have never got my JetBoil to have a low-heat setting. I turn the flame down low, and in real-world conditions (outdoors), the flame blows out...

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Re: Re: Titanium JetBoil Sol -- Caution -- REVISED on 03/01/2012 17:36:21 MST Print View

So now you say it might have an 'occasional' problem. No, I think you should simply say that there have been a couple of cases of 'blank' happening and you are investigating with JetBoil (I really hope you are doing this). Otherwise it sounds like all JetBoil Ti's will exhibit this anomaly occasionally. Which is simply not the case.
Hmm. I'm not sure that the meaning was unclear, but just in case I have added the following:
By "occasional" I mean that very few units seem to have been impacted. I do not mean that all units will occasionally have a problem!

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Re: simple answer on 03/01/2012 17:40:55 MST Print View

> More serious, perhaps, I have never got my JetBoil to have a low-heat setting. I turn the flame down low, and in real-world conditions (outdoors), the flame blows out...
The flame adjustment when on low seems really tricky to me. Sometimes I turn the flame up on mine, and the flame diminishes (!).

I haven't tried it outdoors yet, but cooked this morning on a Jetboil Sol (aluminum version):

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Blogging for Dollars on 03/05/2012 11:21:11 MST Print View

Hopefully some of the controversy surrounding this post has died down a bit.

I did want to address one semi-related topic brought up in the midst of this:

You have ads all over your blog, you're obviously trying to make money.
Yes, there are ads on my blog. I put them there after I lost my job in January. However, note that for the first year of my blog's existence, there were no ads at all.

As for revenue, my blog pays me less than $2.00 per day. Today, I have earned the princely sum of twenty three cents. I figure the revenue from the blog covers fuel costs, but not too much else. My blog does nothing in terms of supporting me or my family.

If money is the motivation behind my blog, then I'm one incredibly illogical individual. Perhaps this will sound implausible, but I started blogging simply to share my stoves. During the course of blogging I realized how much need there is for accurate information concerning stoves. I have tried, with admittedly varying degrees of success, to put together something of a compendium on stoves.

My blog thrives mostly on borrowed equipment and my almost entirely uncompensated time. The BushBuddy recently featured belongs to Christian D, a member of BPL. The JetBoil Sol I posted a cooking report on belongs to Will L. The Ti-Tri Caldera Cone belongs to Randy N. Many of my posts before I lost my job relied on equipment purchased through the Gear Swap here on BPL.

By the way, the majority of the posts on my blog are not linked to here on BPL. I do occasionally highlight a post I think is important or of particular interest, but particularly lately, most of my blog posts have no corresponding post on BPL.

Just for the record.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Blogging for Dollars on 03/05/2012 11:30:37 MST Print View

Did you ever hear back from JetBoil with respect to a potential recall, etc?

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
You aren't running a side business like others on 03/05/2012 11:40:37 MST Print View

I knew that HJ. I'm surprised you were called out on this HJ, as other members keep repeating items they sell for the benefit of some of us and cottage industry owners chip in to keep members updated on specials and shipping updates. Double standard? On other forums, members post links to their blogs and even post musings/quotes from their blogs. For your trying to help, you have been reprimanded as some felt fit on occasion, things happen, so we see you are not perfect. You're an adult, you take your chances.
You should have an addition to your collection tomorrow I believe. :)

Your Stovie buddy in the mountains,
Duane

c vp
(BearSpray) - F
Meltdown? on 03/05/2012 18:31:16 MST Print View

Damn, I was all set on getting a jetboil ti, and now I don't know what to do. The last thing that I need is for my stove to meltdown....sigh. Has anyone heard any further info on this matter?

wander lust
(sol)
get the aluminium one on 03/05/2012 19:05:41 MST Print View

well just get the aluminium one for 1oz more and call it a day if you don't trust the ti version. or wait what jetboil has to say about it.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Re: Meltdown? on 03/05/2012 19:27:11 MST Print View

Typically, the problems that I'm aware of (admittedly, I don't know of every case) occurred when the instructions were not heeded. It's worth taking a look at JetBoil's instructions, particularly the orange sheet, in Appendix IV on my blog post. If those instructions feel too confining for what you want to do with the stove, then maybe the aluminum version would be the better choice.

There have been a few, very few, (two) problems reported when just boiling water where the heat exchanger melted.

If you buy the Ti version, use with caution so that you don't damage the unit, but I don't think the JetBoil Sol Ti is dangerous.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Re: get the aluminium one on 03/05/2012 19:35:11 MST Print View

well just get the aluminium one for 1oz more and call it a day if you don't trust the ti version. or wait what jetboil has to say about it.
The specs on the JetBoil site say that there's a two ounce difference, 8.5oz for the Sol Ti and 10.5 oz for the aluminum Sol. If I'm reading the site correctly, those weights include only the pot, cozy, lid, and burner. The pot support for non-JetBoil pots, the canister "legs," and the cup that attaches to the bottom of the burner are not included.

Of course you can modify those numbers (8.5oz vs 10.5oz) a little if you leave behind the cozy and such.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Erik Hagen
(EWH100) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: get the aluminium one on 03/05/2012 20:50:57 MST Print View

if you look closely the weight of the Aluminum version includes the measuring cup while the Ti does not. When you compare apples to apples the difference is only 1 oz. Not worth it in my book.

The other issue I've heard with the Ti version is that the pot will tack-weld itself to the pot support. This was covered on another thread a few months back

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Re: Re: Re: get the aluminium one on 03/05/2012 21:22:15 MST Print View

if you look closely the weight of the Aluminum version includes the measuring cup while the Ti does not. When you compare apples to apples the difference is only 1 oz. Not worth it in my book.
Well, I'll be danged. I just checked, and you're right. Jetboil had to use an apples to oranges comparison to come up with a 2 oz weight savings? Interesting.

I just pulled the cup off an aluminum Sol. 32g/1.13oz. Assuming they use the same cup, then indeed the the weight savings is about an ounce. That means that you're paying about a dollar a gram to save that one ounce difference between the Ti and Al versions. Interesting.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Nigel Healy
(nigelhealy) - F

Locale: San Francisco bay area
Re: Re: Re: Re: get the aluminium one on 03/05/2012 22:30:44 MST Print View

That's not the only difference. The Ti will be stronger, Alu needs to be a lot thicker to be the same strength and if the weight diffs are small then Alu can't be as strong as Ti. The Alu vs Ti is just the pot? Someone could work out the relative strength. Obviously how important that is, a lot depends on your packing needs.

Also, agree, the Ti vs Alu is poor value looking at MSRP, but many of us here got in % discount sale where the absolute $ diff was smaller and the poor value of Ti eroded to be overall worthwhile when balanced with other issues.

So your point is true when looking at MSRP for anyone looking for new but isn't by itself a reason to sell Ti if you bought it in a sale.

I'm still hoping to see some science around the failures, specifically either some test we can perform as owners to determine if we have faulty individual units, or a product recall, or some other specifics because the number of failures is a very small % and to over-react would be, erm, an over-reaction. I'm keeping mine for now pending some more science because it does what I bought it for, so far....

Its though good to know to sit and watch and the JB doesn't respond well to simmering so its basically a fast water boiler, no more. I'm interested in next-steps, fact-based. From any source. Also reminds me to register my purchase with JB, is there a batch number I can use to help with a possible produce recall? I've got all the original packaging, I keep such stuff for a year+

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: get the aluminium one on 03/06/2012 00:31:40 MST Print View

Nigel, have you weighed yours? I weighed an aluminum Jetboil Sol a bit ago, and I came up with 310g/10.93oz, which is a bit more than I expected based on the advertised weights. I'm wondering what your Ti version weighs.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F - M

Locale: Oregon
Titanium JetBoil Sol -- CAUTION on 03/06/2012 01:32:48 MST Print View

Jim,
My aluminum Sol is:
4.8 oz. for the bare pot.
.6 oz. for the orange lid.
3.4 oz. for the stove burner.
.7 oz. for the cozy with the crappy black strap cut off.
SUB-TOTAL WEIGHT W/OUT FUEL---9.7 oz.

7.0 oz. for a full 3.88 oz. Snowpeak small canister.

GRAND TOTAL W/FUEL---16.7 oz.

M

Edited by bigfoot2 on 03/06/2012 01:34:45 MST.