Forum Index » GEAR » How many changes of clothes do you bring?

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Doe
(jessearl) - F
How many changes of clothes do you bring? on 02/28/2012 12:40:31 MST Print View

I'm planning a group hike in May in Central Florida for 4 days. It'll likely be hot, and it may rain or it may not. We'll be doing 10-13 mile days.

My current clothing for this hike currently looks like:

Worn:
Synthetic t-shirt (likely Under Armour)
Synthetic shorts (no idea what brand. might be swim trunks)
Synthetic boxer shorts (ExOfficio)
Under Armour socks
Floppy wide-brimed Columbia hat

Packed
Zip off pants for bug protection
Synthetic t-shirt
Under Armour socks
Synthetic boxer shorts

Do you always bring a spare change of clothes in warm weather or do you just plan on air drying your worn clothing if you got heavily rained on.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: How many changes of clothes do you bring? on 02/28/2012 12:57:14 MST Print View

Zero.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: How many changes of clothes do you bring? on 02/28/2012 12:58:23 MST Print View

Zero.

--B.G.--

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
3rd on 02/28/2012 13:04:58 MST Print View

Zero

(although I bring a pair of compression boxers and wear lined running shorts to wear as underwear too. Ill switch off depending on weather and washing)

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Locale: Pacific NW
One on 02/28/2012 13:08:51 MST Print View

One extra core layer. I sleep in it, and change into it if I get so soaked that it becomes a problem. Shirt, long johns, socks. Other than that, only what I am wearing and the carry along insulation and rain gear.

It isn't the lightest, but it rains constantly in the PNW and it is nice to have one set of stuff to shift into while the other goes from soaking wet to uncomfortably damp. Once you get soaked during the wet season here, it never really dries out because the ambient humidity is so high.

These lucky guys in the SW don't get stuck with soaking rain at the same frequency, and I envy them. :)

K

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: One on 02/28/2012 13:10:06 MST Print View

Zero.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: How many changes of clothes do you bring? on 02/28/2012 13:12:00 MST Print View

4 days - none.

Over 4 days - additional shirt and underoos.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: How many changes of clothes do you bring? on 02/28/2012 13:15:42 MST Print View

Zero.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: How many changes of clothes do you bring? on 02/28/2012 13:20:47 MST Print View

I take along one complete set because I assume everything I'm wearing will get soaking wet from rain or sweat. I try not to change until I get to camp.

If I change while moving then the second set will get wet. So the first set has to be enough to keep me warm when I'm moving and the second set has to be warm enough to keep me warm at camp.

I like closed cell foam clothing because it stays warm when wet.

I'm a heavy sweater hiking in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest US. My experience might not apply to you.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: How many changes of clothes do you bring? on 02/28/2012 13:22:31 MST Print View

spare socks only, sometimes. Otherwise none. You barely need clothes in central FL in May at all. Wear your zip off pants as shorts and skip packing a pair of shorts/pants.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
How many changes of clothes do you bring? on 02/28/2012 13:25:57 MST Print View

One change of socks--that's it. All my other clothing is in the "wear all at one time in the worst expected conditions" category, and varies according to expected temperatures.

In Florida, though, you might have some different challenges with (1) heat and humidity making you sweat a lot more and (2) you probably don't need a base layer so you don't have something to wear at night if your hiking clothing is wet. Out here in the northwest or in the Rockies, I need a lightweight base layer for mornings and evenings in camp (warmth) and also to wear in the sleeping bag if my hiking clothing is wet and/or dirty. You might want something very very lightweight for this purpose.

Just use the zip-off pants as both shorts and long pants.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: How many changes of clothes do you bring? on 02/28/2012 13:26:04 MST Print View

No spare primary hiking clothes, but I do bring Cap 1 or 3 (depending on the temps) tops and bottoms that I change into for sleeping. They also provide a little bit of extra warmth in camp and I sometimes layer the top over my primary hiking shirt if it's cold enough....although I don't think cold is much of concern in your case.

Edit: I also bring an extra pair of socks

Edited by csteutterman on 02/28/2012 13:40:18 MST.

Noel Tavan
(akatsuki_the_devil) - MLife
zero on 02/28/2012 13:28:32 MST Print View

zero, bring layers that you will need. extra socks and underwear to sleep with I(optional).

Edited by akatsuki_the_devil on 02/28/2012 13:29:02 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: zero on 02/28/2012 13:33:20 MST Print View

spare socks

spare underpants

bruce thibeault
(brucetbo) - M

Locale: New England
Re: How many changes of clothes do you bring? on 02/28/2012 13:48:44 MST Print View

Warm weather... for sleeping or while clothes dry... terramar silk base layer, Nordic Track boxer brief (Sears), SS Techwick tee (EMS), saloman coolmax ankle socks.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
changes of clothing on 02/28/2012 14:20:50 MST Print View

Clothing in FL for May?

Optional.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
extra clothes on 02/28/2012 14:36:00 MST Print View

I have some extra clothes but the only duplicates are either two or three pairs of socks (including the one worn.) But I generally will take both long pants and lightweight running shorts (weighs about the same as convertibles.) and usually both a lightweight short and long sleeve shirt. Other than that I wash and go.

Chase Norton
(Micronorton) - F
Nada on 02/28/2012 14:45:37 MST Print View

zero for anything less than 2 weeks. 14 days seems to be my limit on UA underwear....

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Clothes changes on 02/28/2012 14:57:18 MST Print View

If your hiking clothing/underwear is of quick drying material, you can rinse it and wear it until it's dry, which doesn't take long at all when you are hiking. Not something I recommend for the PNW in winter or even shoulder season, but certainly in Florida!

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
re: How many changes of clothes do you brin on 02/28/2012 15:19:04 MST Print View

Heretic speaking here: I bring changes of clothing!

Dry socks for sleeping (liners or wool, depending). Extra liner socks, wear one pair while the other is drying after washing. Extra underwear for the same reason. Sometimes lightweight short pants to wear at night. Spare t-shirt for sleeping.

I want to be able to sleep in reasonably fresh, non-sweaty, non-salty clothes at night, and I don't want to wash clothes every day. All this doesn't add up to much weight-wise (4 oz shirt, 1 oz liners, 3 oz short pants, etc). So maybe I carry an extra 1/2 to 3/4 pound in spare clothes, I don't care.

Note that I have somewhat sensitive skin and have found that having fresh clothes at night helps avoid chafing and rashes.