November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Best widely available can to use for alcohol stove?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Best widely available can to use for alcohol stove? on 02/27/2012 18:07:43 MST Print View

I've seen those metal budweiser bottlers work pretty well, the big Foster's cans look like they'd work well since they're so wide at the base, but I really have no experience making these, trying it for the first time this weekend

Michael Rollins

Locale: Midwest
Gram weenie etc on 02/27/2012 18:26:44 MST Print View

First, checkout this post

Great ideas on that post. Also, do a YouTube search for bud light alcohol stoves, you will find a ton of info. I have made about a dozen from bud light cans, and given them out to hiking buddies, all use them now. This weekend, I made a tiny version from a <2inch diameter hair mousse can my daughter had pitched in the recycle bin. With a small aluminum pot, it boiled 16 oz of water in just under 6 minutes on an oz of denatured alcohol - and boiled it for almost 10 minutes. Amazing performance, and fit in my pocket it is so tiny. I plan to cut up all the aluminum bottles my wife and daughter pitch, great fun.

Edited by wind_walker on 02/27/2012 18:28:51 MST.