Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Best widely available can to use for alcohol stove?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Best widely available can to use for alcohol stove? on 02/27/2012 18:07:43 MST Print View

I've seen those metal budweiser bottlers work pretty well, the big Foster's cans look like they'd work well since they're so wide at the base, but I really have no experience making these, trying it for the first time this weekend

Michael Rollins
(wind_walker)

Locale: Midwest
Gram weenie etc on 02/27/2012 18:26:44 MST Print View

Ben

First, checkout this post http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=8815

Great ideas on that post. Also, do a YouTube search for bud light alcohol stoves, you will find a ton of info. I have made about a dozen from bud light cans, and given them out to hiking buddies, all use them now. This weekend, I made a tiny version from a <2inch diameter hair mousse can my daughter had pitched in the recycle bin. With a small aluminum pot, it boiled 16 oz of water in just under 6 minutes on an oz of denatured alcohol - and boiled it for almost 10 minutes. Amazing performance, and fit in my pocket it is so tiny. I plan to cut up all the aluminum bottles my wife and daughter pitch, great fun.

Edited by wind_walker on 02/27/2012 18:28:51 MST.