Ursack closer to being allowed in Yosemite?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Ursack with inserts and Grizzlies on 04/11/2014 19:09:32 MDT Print View

I've considered a bear canister for camping above treeline in Grizzly country (where there are no trees for bear bagging). Any thoughts on whether an Ursack with an insert would work on a Grizzly bear? Tying it off to a small tree at timberline would be a lot simpler then finding a tree big enough for a griz proof bear bag.

Edit - I know grizzlys probably won't stred it. I am more concerned they'd get a taste through the bag if they crush it enough. In the Sierra's you can chase the bear off. In Grizzly country I'm less incline to run out in the dark to meet a bear. All that means if a grizzly did find the food he'd have time to work on it uninterrupted.

Edited by Cameron on 04/11/2014 19:22:28 MDT.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re: Flash range on 04/11/2014 19:33:53 MDT Print View

Bob, I definitely understand the difference between a black and a griz; I've been around both, plenty. Blacks are spooky, griz aren't. I'm thinking that the flashing strobe on my Fenix might just work OK on a black bear, along with a couple of loud "Hey dude, get the hell outa here, boogie, boogie, boogie!" type of comments. I won't really know until the next incident comes along. If I live, I'll post my story for your amusement. I just hope I never see another griz at close range. Blacks, OK, but not another griz.

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 04/11/2014 19:35:24 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Ursack update on 04/11/2014 20:26:59 MDT Print View

"That insert makes a fantastic windscreen for your canister stove too. Does not blow around like foil."

Great idea. Textbook example of multiple use gear.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Flash range on 04/12/2014 00:45:58 MDT Print View

"I just hope I never see another griz at close range."

Gary, you know that you have a long enough focal length on your camera lens when you look through it at the grizzly and all you see is fur.

--B.G.--

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Ursack on 04/12/2014 00:56:28 MDT Print View

"April 11, 2014

IGBC test today. PASSED. Details to follow."

Richard Banks
(EDDAKA) - M
Re: Ursack on 04/12/2014 02:12:59 MDT Print View

Being able to use for the PCT this year would be amazing!

Edited by EDDAKA on 04/12/2014 02:14:13 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Ursack with inserts and Grizzlies on 04/12/2014 17:05:56 MDT Print View

" Any thoughts on whether an Ursack with an insert would work on a Grizzly bear? Tying it off to a small tree at timberline would be a lot simpler then finding a tree big enough for a griz proof bear bag."

No sure answer to this one, Luke. I face the same problem with black bears all the time, and am similarly uneasy about confronting them once they are in control of the bag. Even a blackie can ruin your day in that kind of situation. What I have concluded is that avoiding attracting them in the first place is the best strategy. So, I go stoveless in bear territory, eat away from camp, and double bag my food with Nylo Barrier odor proof bags. I wash my hands before putting the second bag over the first one to avoid leaving any odor on the outside of the final bag. So far, so good, but there are no guarantees.

'

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Flash range on 04/12/2014 17:07:00 MDT Print View

"you know that you have a long enough focal length on your camera lens when you look through it at the grizzly and all you see is fur."

Or teeth. ;0)

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re Ursack with Insert and Grizzlies on 04/12/2014 17:38:02 MDT Print View

Good points on oder Tom. I went stoveless last time but had a lot of greasy trailmix type food. On one hike I used a trash bag and ziplocks for my food. I could smell it in my pack which meant the bears definitely could. I then got an Opsack and couldn't smell it. Opsacks may not be perfect but my own "smell test" would indicate that less smell is getting out. So maybe now the bear can only smell my food at 100 yards rather then 500 yards, I'll take whatever improvement I can get.

I'll probably eat a combination of bars, nuts, fruit, and cheap jerky. The advantage of prepacked food is there is another layer of plastic between the food and the bear's nose. Also these are foods with minimal grease and they won't shower me with crumbles like say, crushed pringles. I'll probably throw in a couple small opacks to seal up the garbage in.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re Re Ursack with Insert and Grizzlies on 04/12/2014 18:01:13 MDT Print View

"Opsacks may not be perfect but my own "smell test" would indicate that less smell is getting out. So maybe now the bear can only smell my food at 100 yards rather then 500 yards, I'll take whatever improvement I can get."

For me that's the name of the game, and I spend far more time working to improve that than worrying about new gear. The reasons I went to Nylo Barrier bags over Opsacks are that they allow a much better seal, are lighter, larger, and, being a floppy bag that doesn't use a zip lock, conform to just about any space. They are also cheaper.

"I'll probably eat a combination of bars, nuts, fruit, and cheap jerky. The advantage of prepacked food is there is another layer of plastic between the food and the bear's nose. Also these are foods with minimal grease and they won't shower me with crumbles like say, crushed pringles. I'll probably throw in a couple small opacks to seal up the garbage in."

I think you're spot on the mark here. Minimizing the odor of the foods you bring is huge, IMO. I do the same.

I also use a small Opsack for my food and garbage during the day, and transfer the garbage to the main sack at night. Keeping the odor off your pack, clothes, etc is super important, because no matter what the odor is on, the bear will smell it and come to investigate. At that point, it's just a matter of time until he discovers the food bag, odor or no, and then you've got a problem.

Edited by ouzel on 04/13/2014 17:54:30 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Ursack with Insert and Grizzlies on 04/12/2014 18:21:37 MDT Print View

Here's a link to keep updated from Ursack.
http://www.ursack.com/ursack-update.htm

Edited by kthompson on 04/12/2014 18:22:20 MDT.

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Ursack given IGBC certification on 07/28/2014 11:18:13 MDT Print View

This is certainly good news. Now we'll see how long it takes (and if) the NPS to allow them.

July 24, 2014

The 2014 Ursack S29 AllWhite has been given IGBC certification number 3738. It may take a bit of time before that information shows up on the IGBC website. 2013 and earlier models of the AllWhite are not certified. We are working on a way to offer a low cost retrofit and once we figure that out, we will post the information on our website and attempt to contact affected customers by email.

Zorg Zumo
(BurnNotice) - F
Seriously? Why do these "regulators" take so long? on 07/28/2014 16:34:32 MDT Print View

This has to be the most ridiculous thread ever. Everything at a standstill while some supposed "experts" mess around for years evaluating something new. Ultimately of zero value since they really just need to cull the bears. I'd blame this on Obama but I think this process started back with Reagan. Sad.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Seriously? Why do these "regulators" take so long? on 07/28/2014 16:38:41 MDT Print View

There's a thread in the Sierra Bear Blog about how the solution is to cull out the humans : )