Lightest collapsible wood burning stove on the planet - the FireFly Stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net
Pot support height question on 05/12/2012 05:59:44 MDT Print View

@Dan

You said "I can see the pot supports are too low and will cause problems"

[edit: you can read below my first defensive response; see my less defensive and data-based response a couple posts below]

If this were actually true, why aren't I hearing about it from folks using a FireFly? How can I use my own FireFly with no problems? There are YouTube videos of the FireFly that were made by folks other than me that do not show any such problem.

The air inflow and outflow of a woodburner is a dynamic system, influenced by the size of air inlets, the size of air outlets, the amount and position of fuel wood that might block air flow, and finally the pot on top. I know you know that's true. The FireFly outlet is designed to match the inlet (adjusted for an average amount of fuel wood obstruction). The FireFly outlet is larger (in surface area relative to the firebox size) than the Emberlit designs, which work well and are very popular. So I'm gonna have to disagree with you on your statement.

[edit: actually, after further testing, have to agree with Dan that at least for larger pots, higher pot supports definitely work better; and a solution is now available as a free retrofit for existing owners of FireFly stoves and included with new stoves]

Edited by QiWiz on 05/13/2012 15:20:53 MDT.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Pot support height question on 05/12/2012 17:25:32 MDT Print View

Hello Robert,

Chris Martin is the first to let you hear that someone is having an honest to goodness problem with your stove design. He said he bought it used from someone here on bpl. That person didn't want anymore.....wonder if he had the same problem as chris Martin.

One of the reasons stove designers/makers don't hear from customers is that they think it's their fault a stove does'nt work. They are too timid to ask for help from the designer/seller. Chris Martin is an exception. He wants knowledge. He want to know the how to's and what fors.

We've heard of people having problems with alcohol stoves and the the reason given by the designers/sellers is "bad fuel" or you didn't prime it long enough.

Robert, now you are saying that the position of fuel wood might block air flow. see, it's fuel related, not the design of the stove.

We have to listen to what Chris Martin is saying. He says the stove is on fire, burnig just fine. Plenty of oxygen for ignition and burning. He puts the pot on and all of a sudden things go to pot. He takes the pot off and things go back to norm.

Robert, there are a lot of folks out there that would'nt say diddly squat if they had a mouthful. Let's be glad that Chris Martin is not one of them. We can learn from guys like him.

Just because you can make your stove work, don't expect everyone out there to have your fire making skills in you stove design.

Increase the height of your pot supports and you'll a lot of Chris Martin's happy.

I may have seen an Emberlit video that showed the exact same thing that Chris experienced but who want's to go searching for videos?

As it stands, I still say to Chris, the pot supports need to be higher and it's not his fault the fire goes into a smoke mode when the pot is put on.

I have quite a bit of experience with wood stove design to back up my statement. It's just my 2 cents woth.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Larger pots DO need to be higher, and here's an UL way on 05/13/2012 15:09:33 MDT Print View

Well, time to eat some humble pie. First off, I'd like to thank Dan (zelph) for bringing up the idea of having higher pot supports, and that this might explain what Chris Martin described (see FireFly puzzler posts above this one). Dan has lots of stove experience, and I'm glad he took the time to make his observations, as I believe the growing number of FireFly users will benefit from them.
Anyway, this being a non-working, non-hiking weekend for me, I thought it would be a great time to do some backyard testing of Dan's hypothesis. I did numerous burns this morning using found twigs from my backyard without any special preparation. I have come to 4 conclusions:
(1) If you are using a tall cooking mug, a beer can pot, or something similar, the regular height of the FireFly pot supports (3/4 inch) works just fine.
(2) If you are using a fairly large pot with a big bottom diameter, like a squat 1.3L Evernew pot, higher pot supports definitely work better (less smoke, better burn and heating of pot).
(3) If you are using something in a middle size range, like a squat 900 ml pot, you will probably also prefer higher pot supports, though you may decide that the regular height works just fine for you. Tall 900 ml pots work pretty well without them.
(4) If your goal is to have a longer burn with little smoke, lighting your fire from the top is definitely the way to go.

The FireFly, fortunately, was already designed with and shipped with small pot supports for narrow/tall cooking mugs, beer can pots, and the like. This made it easy to come with (drum roll) "large pot supports" that are attached the same way, and raise a pot an additional 1.25 inches. Time for a photo:

FF large pot supports

So for those of you who have a FireFly, including Chris (if I can get his mailing address), I will send you on request, at no charge, a pair of these large pot supports. For those of you thinking about getting a FireFly, these large pot supports will also be included as part of the basic package. They go easily into your tyvek pouch with the stove.

For a video showing a top down burn with a large pot and the new supports (as well as boiling 3 cups of water with one stove-load of wood), see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1GyV2h2EqE&feature

Edited by QiWiz on 05/14/2012 11:25:26 MDT.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Free FireFly large pot support upgrade on 05/18/2012 10:22:25 MDT Print View

See thread above regarding the new large pot supports. I'm happy to say that a pair has been made and sent out to everyone who has purchased a FireFly. If I somehow missed you and you do not get a pair by a week from today, please contact me and I'll take care of it. These will now be a standard item included with any new purchases.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Special combo deal available for the next two weeks on 06/03/2012 14:41:59 MDT Print View

until 6/18/12. Combo deal is a discount on any ti trowel and any FireFly stove system. QiWiz.net "Specials" page has the information.

Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

The trail is calling to me . . . on 08/17/2012 10:14:18 MDT Print View

I'll be on trail from 8/30/12 through 9/15/12.

Gear ordered in next week (through 8/24) will be mailed out before I go. ; )

After that, you may have to wait until the week of 9/17 to get your gear. : (

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Special FireFly stove combo deal is back! on 10/08/2012 13:23:11 MDT Print View

Your patience is rewarded, if you've been waiting for the next stove+trowel combo deal. This one's on until November 1st. In addition to saving on the combo price, order as many stove accessories with your stove as you want and pay no extra shipping costs.

Can you dig it? My Specials page has the details.

Edited by QiWiz on 10/21/2012 13:37:10 MDT.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

FireFly upgrade notice on 11/08/2012 14:23:01 MST Print View

As of today, all FireFly stoves will have titanium rod (rather than steel) small and large pot supports, FlexPort door keepers, and windscreen supports (for MultiFuel option). Lighter, stronger, better.

Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

New Year, HOT deal on a FireFly on 01/14/2013 11:24:04 MST Print View

The FireFly is now laser-cut, which has allowed me to reduce the price more than 10% for the very popular FlexPort-equipped model. 8 mil ziplock pouch included at no extra charge.

QiWiz.net is the place to go for all the information about the FireFly.

Edited by QiWiz on 02/24/2014 13:14:20 MST.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Bigger wood stove on your mind? - Introducing the FireFly XL on 02/12/2013 12:37:50 MST Print View

I think the FireFly is as light as a folding or take-apart wood stove that packs flat can be and still be big enough to work well.

However, the bigger the firebox, the easier it is to start and maintain a fire. A bigger firebox also makes cooking with bigger pots or groups of people easier.

To that end, I've designed and had titanium cut for a limited number of FireFly XL stoves. These come standard with my FlexPort fuel door, built-in large pot supports, stainless steel mesh floor and titanium foil floor insert (to use if less bottom ventilation is desired), and titanium rod small pot supports if/when needed.

All this for 5.9 ounces and a firebox that is twice the volume of the FireFly.

Get 'em while they're hot at QiWiz.net
Photo shows XL's next to regular FireFly stoves for comparison.

<FFXL

Edited by QiWiz on 02/12/2013 12:39:29 MST.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

February Fire Sale on 02/23/2013 17:20:53 MST Print View

Get a FireFly wood burning stove and get 10% off any other items you get at the same time: a trowel, a saw, a complete cook kit, a titanium windscreen, etc. No maximum. Make sure you go to the Specials page at http://QiWiz.net/specials.html when you place your order to activate the discount. I will rebate it back to your PayPal account. Offer expires March 1.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

March Madness - Best Sale Ever Offered at QiWiz.net on 03/01/2013 08:18:15 MST Print View

During March, 2013, buy any wood burning stove OR trowel and I'll rebate back to you 10% of your entire order, including any additional items you want to get at the same time. To get the discount, visit my Specials page and add the discount to your order for a penny.

And you thought March Madness was not related to backpacking!

Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

NEW 3rd gen MultiFuel Option for FireFly and FireFly XL stoves on 03/17/2013 13:11:04 MDT Print View

More versatile, dual use, more durable, lighter - what's not to like?

Check it out HERE

Edited by QiWiz on 03/17/2013 13:16:25 MDT.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

FireFly and FireFly XL Stove rebates during August "Add A Penny" Sale on 08/18/2013 16:01:26 MDT Print View

To get your rebate, make sure you add a penny on my Special Deals page. Rebates also available on trowels of any size. The more you order, the bigger the rebates get!

QiWiz.net has all the info . . .

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

October Special Deal: Who needs support(s)? on 10/01/2013 12:57:52 MDT Print View

October special deal #2:

Save on a FireFly stove with FlexPort if you don't need small or large pot supports (most folks don't as best I can tell). Access this on Specials page at QiWiz.net

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

November FIRE SALE is on ! on 11/09/2013 08:51:27 MST Print View

During November, you can get more than 10% off a regular FireFly stove or any size titanium trowel. Just go to the Specials page for all the details.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

FireFly woodburning stoves 10% off on 02/03/2014 07:53:24 MST Print View

While my inventory lasts, there will be a 10% discount on them, accessed from my Special Deals page.

Get 'em while they are HOT !!

Edited by QiWiz on 02/24/2014 12:59:04 MST.

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

FireFly XL Stoves also on sale !! on 03/17/2014 08:33:32 MDT Print View

I've decided to expand my FIRE SALE to include the larger FireFly XL stove, as long as inventory holds out.

This is the first time I've put the FireFly XL on sale.
Time to take advantage of my March Madness!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

Going . . . going . . . (2013 FireFly stoves almost gone) on 04/10/2014 14:48:52 MDT Print View

I have just three left, all FlexPort models, with an additional price reduction available on my Specials page.

Can you dig it?

Robert Kelly
(QiWiz) - MLife

2014 FireFly models now available with introductory pricing ! on 04/22/2014 14:59:47 MDT Print View

The 2013 models are all gone, BUT the 2014 models are here. My first post in this thread has been updated with information and pictures of the 2014 model. Subtle but important enhancements. A small increase in the height of the built-in pot supports has resulted in the basic stove working well for pots up to 6" in diameter. The FlexPort still allows for quick chimney burns or feeding longer pieces of wood in through the port for more controlled slow cooking, simmering, baking, or grilling. Optional small/narrow supports will allow for use of beer can pots and cooking grills. Optional wide/heavy supports will allow for use of frying pans and other cooking pots larger than 6" in diameter. All the details at QiWiz.net

Can you dig it? Intro pricing in effect until the end of May. What's not to like?