Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Rat Encounter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Philip Delvoie
(PhilipD) - MLife

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Rat Encounter on 02/27/2012 13:07:49 MST Print View

Steven,

Had not heard of the Nutria. They look very similiar to the Muskrat. Nutria is introduced, whereas the Muskrat is native to Canada and the US.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Muskrat

We have a pair of muskrats living in the pond beside our house. Great to watch.

Especially as they do not seem to want to come into the house. 8-)

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Rat Encounter on 02/27/2012 13:21:14 MST Print View

and I thought Army food was bad.........

"Protein is protein" as they say.

Hint from one who spent 25 years killing rats professionally - GLUE BOARDS.

Get the large 6x12 inch rat size (sold in pairs), not the little 3x5 mouse boards. Place them along the wall-floor junction on each side of exterior doorways or wherever else you think they are getting in. Do not bait them with anything.

To make them more attractive (rodents love to hide and feel protected and will investigate any kind of covered area), lean a lightweight board or piece of stiff cardboard at a 45° angle between the outside edge of the glueboard and the adjacent wall; basically build a triangle with the wall and glueboard being the sides. The cover also keeps some of the dirt off of the glue.

Hint #2: Rats are at least as smart as humans (with some humans, that's not saying much). It may take a week to catch the rat after he first finds the glueboard, which he will recognize as something new or strange. He'll be cautious around it until he decides it is just another harmless object in his normal environment. Then you get him. Hit him in the head with a board, wrap rat and glueboard as a single piece in newspaper and throw in an outdoor trash can.

Hint #3 - don't use these around pets or small kids. That glue is not toxic, but it is REALLY tenacious. It takes pure liquid soap - no water - to get it off your skin. Hair or fur has to be cut.

Edited by wandering_bob on 02/27/2012 13:25:33 MST.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Rat Encounter on 02/27/2012 13:26:42 MST Print View

Bob,

Thanks for the tip.

If the trap hadn't worked I could have slipped a glue board under the door and waited.

I've had to kill several rats in my lifetime and each event was memorable and moving. I have great respect for their smarts and skills. Killing them is a last resort I use only when they invade my living space.

Daryl

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Bigger Rat Encounter on 02/27/2012 14:52:45 MST Print View

My hound brought me an opossum once when I came home. So nasty...

+1 on no such thing as one rat. We trapped/poisoned on or two a night for a week until we got them all.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Rat Encounters... on 02/27/2012 15:06:43 MST Print View

I have a cat door and that has provided all kinds of excitement with rats over the years.

The worst situation was when my cat brought in his "present" for us and let it go in the kitchen. The rat ran behind our fridge and climbed up into the insulation inside the back of the fridge (we could hear him).

I had to empty my fridge and tip it on it's side to get to the rat. It turned out to be an easy retrieve (aside from having to tip a giant fridge) because the rat tried to climb through a spinning fan and bonked himself.

Another one ran along a pillow and across my wife's head while she was sitting in bed reading. It's happened enough times that I keep butterfly nets handy to make the catch.

I prefer to dispatch them rather than send them off to become a problem again at a later date. I'd actually rather get rid of the cats and resolve the problem once and for all but the rest of the family isn't as heartless as I am... but then again, they don't have to catch the rats!

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Rat Encounters and Pet Doors... on 02/27/2012 16:26:54 MST Print View

Bought our current home 25 years ago. Prior owners had 5 critters and had installed your basic 2-way doggy door in both the garage mandoor and in the laundryroom door for their convenience.

My wife was standing in the kitchen unloading boxes when she heard something scurrying in the laundry room. She turned just in time to see a neighbor's puppy - obviously used to coming in on his own to visit his mates - slam on the brakes and slide to a stop at her feet. I don't know who was the more surprised, but puppy immediately realized that something was not kosher and with a scrambling of claws desperately trying to get traction on the tile, retraced his steps back out through both dog doors posthaste.

We never saw him again!

Incidentally, a rat can get through any opening through which its head can pass. The rest of the body is compressable but not the skull. Pet doors are not a problem, but they prefer more private enterances - like unscreened foundation vents and holes bored for pipes. They even have a branch of rodent SEALS that can (and do) swim up through the waste pipes from the main sewer, only to emerge in a sink or toilet.

But as hikers, we know other rodents are much more dangerous. God help us if they decide to enter our homes!

born to kill

I wonder if they too have long-winded discussions regarding carrying guns.....

Edited by wandering_bob on 02/27/2012 16:38:09 MST.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Here's Another Rat Story on 02/27/2012 17:14:07 MST Print View

A fellow Mountaineer once told me he and his dad would periodically go into the chicken house and kill rats with axes.

During one such event a rat ran up his coverall pant leg. He stopped the rat with his hands just before it turned the corner below the family jewels. The now stopped and I'm sure terrified rat started gnawing and tearing at this guy's inner thigh.

The ugly incident came to an end when my acquaintance was able to kill the poor rat by squeezing it to death through the pant fabric.

He said he never camps near shelters for fear that he'll have another rodent encounter.

Recalling this story I tucked my pants into my socks before dealing with my minor event.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Here's Another Rat Story on 02/27/2012 17:27:01 MST Print View

Killing is evil -- but when one's own jewels are threatened.... yeah, I would have chocked that sucker exactly the same!!

Note to self: Do what Daryl did -- tuck pants into socks first.

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Mice - lots and lots and lots on 02/27/2012 19:31:51 MST Print View

The part of Australia where I grew up gets mouse plagues - literally millions of them just running over everything. It literally looks like a grey carpet. We lifted a single sheet of roofing iron once and killed all the mice under it to work out how many there were - we ended up with several hundred. This is what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOwinLWrEIw

I still always shake out my shoes before putting them on.

Scorpions - before going to the light side I had a Lowe Alpine Ama Dablam which had a repositionable velcro'd lumbar pad. I was coming back down off Mt Bogong once and stopped to adjust it: when I peeled it off I found a scorpion nestled in under it and he wasn't looking very happy. I've always wondered how long he would have waited in there before coming out and having a go at me. My working presumption is that he was poisonous enough to make me very ill.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Mice - lots and lots and lots on 02/27/2012 20:19:39 MST Print View

I've seen the mouse video before and it is too close to my bed time to watch it again. If that isn't nightmare material I don't know what is.

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - F
Re: Rat Encounter on 02/27/2012 20:19:54 MST Print View

I'm just not understanding the fear of rats but I haven't woken up with a wild one under my pillow.

Many years ago I moved into an apartment with such a flea infestation that even after two flea bombs in succession we kept water glasses handy to drown them as they leapt onto us.
This same apartment had such an awful cockroach problem that we became blase about crushing them with our fists, or trapping them in a mini food processor even they became particularly fearless.

No wonder cowboy camping doesn't phase me.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Rat Encounter on 02/28/2012 09:29:00 MST Print View

When my father and I built a shack to live in are avocado ranch on weekends. We use to play a sporting game we shut off the lights armed with Daisy BB guns. Then we would hear the mice and rats turn on the lights and see who could shoot the most vermin.

Then we moved in to in town with the rest of the family in large house in a avocado grove we also had mice problem. My mom would not let us shoot up the kitchen so we used mice traps baited with peanut butter set out 8 traps. Turn off the lights wait in the next room are record in less than 5 minutes was 6 mice in one capture. Then set the traps again we did it for a couple hours a night.

The rats and mice would only come out in the early spring searching for food that had not grown naturally yet. My sister was sleeping on her pillow on our way back to our home in Los Angeles from our ranch. We arrived and my Mom took off my sisters pillow case out fell a small white scorpion.

All the fun and games of rural living.
Terry

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Rat Encounter on 02/28/2012 09:46:43 MST Print View

About a quarter of the time, after a backpack trip, a field mouse has made my car it's home.

I hate to do it, but I don't want mice tearing up my insulation, electrical wires, and anything made out of paper, or peeing on the mats, so I leave a snap trap in my trunk at all times.

Yeah, peanut butter works good. Have to clean it off and re-bait a couple times a year. Until then, when I find a mouse, I just dispose of it (very sorry Mr. Mouse, I hate to do it but you just can't live here...) and re-set trap.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Rat Encounter on 02/28/2012 09:48:51 MST Print View

No rats in the Canadian Rockies, but I did have a mouse use my head as a launching pad while in a bivy. Let me say that I think I scared it more than it startled me. I will admit it took me at least 30 minutes to fall back asleep.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Rat Encounter on 02/28/2012 09:53:34 MST Print View

In my bivy I have occasionally noticed small animals running across me, I assume mice

No big thing, they're more afraid of us

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Rat Encounter on 02/28/2012 10:30:51 MST Print View

Several years ago I discovered that a rat was leaving droppings inside my oven (found them on my pizza stone, which had to be thrown out as it smelled like rat pee). Gross! (no slurs against B.G. intended) Tried a trap but no luck, so in desperation I put trays of rat poison in the oven and directly underneath, in the crawlspace. Not long after that, we went on a week-long backpack trip; we returned to find the house reeking of dead rat, but no carcass anywhere that we could find. We were home a week or so, then left again for another week-long backpack. Coming home after that, no more smell - but the house was full of flies, of Biblical proportions it seemed. Once we got rid of them, we figured our troubles were over.

They were, for a while. But when we turned on the heater that winter, the smell came back in a very bad way. It turned out the rat had crawled into the heater near the pilot to be nice and warm when he died; our handyman extracted his skeleton and fur with some very long tweezers.

I don't think I'll ever use rat poison again.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: Mice - lots and lots and lots on 02/28/2012 10:36:56 MST Print View

Darly, Rat status? Pictures would be a bonus.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Mice - lots and lots and lots on 02/28/2012 11:13:01 MST Print View

@ D W

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOwinLWrEIw

Is there a sequel to this? So whatever happened to this plague of rats?

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

No More Rats...so far on 02/28/2012 11:51:51 MST Print View

Ben and Tim,

No more rat visitors inside the house......so far.

Plenty of rats outside in the blackberries and bushes near my home.

I think my visitor came in a door which I had left open for a prolonged period or was carried in by the cat.

We'll see.

Still bothers me to have killed it. I'm squeamish about rats but have a great deal of respect for them. This one looked very healthy and had a great looking coat. He just got into the wrong place at the wrong time. Could happen to any of us.

Daryl

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Rats on 02/28/2012 11:53:03 MST Print View

I find it ironic that Ben is discussing rats, as in the movie Ben.

--B.G.--