Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Warmth problems!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Cody Croslow
(Graelb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Warmth problems! on 02/26/2012 21:55:14 MST Print View

Hey all,

Does anyone have any experience making underquilts for a hennessey? I need to make one (or have one made...) that will keep me warmer down to at least the 40s in the summer.

Does anyone want to make something for me by any chance? I'm not as worried about weight as I am about bulking and price. Thoughts?

Chris Muthig
(cmuthig) - M

Locale: Georgia
Re: Warmth problems! on 02/27/2012 09:05:41 MST Print View

Just a quick search over at hammockforums.net got me this link:

http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq

Turns out the KAQs were designed to fit the Hennessey Hammocks. If you have the ability to sew, making a similar quilt out of 5oz. Apex would be a good project and not terribly difficult, I don't think. I haven't made on like this before though.

Since bulk is an issue for you, are you looking for a down or synthetic underquilt? Also, is your HH the kind you get in from underneath or with a side zipper? Because that would change the design of the UQ. Also, are you looking for a full length or something shorter fine?

If you haven't looked over at hammockforums, I would suggest you give them a google search because they have some great hammock specific information over there.

Cody Croslow
(Graelb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Warmth problems! on 02/27/2012 15:22:15 MST Print View

Something shorter would probably be fine,as I can wear light shoes or thick socks to bed. I'd rather have down simply because of the weight and compresability, but not so much the cost. I do NOT know how to sew, but that doesn't mean that i'm not up for a challenging venture to learn! =) My upper is a big agnes 20 degree down bag that'll work just fine in the summer and shoulder seasons in a hammock. I actually have an old fleece sleeping bag /liner that I might try to wrestle into shape under me, but I'd rather have something that fits better...