Connector for using tarp poles as fishing pole
Display Avatars Sort By:
Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Connector for using tarp poles as fishing pole on 02/26/2012 20:07:46 MST Print View

I'm making a Hexamid Twin (pieces and guidance from Joe Valesko), and I'll be using a modified GG LT4 and a 32", 0.420" diameter carbon tube from Josh Leavitt for the poles. I wanted to be able to connect the two poles to make a 7-foot long fishing pole.

I removed the plastic tip from the LT4 and installed a female threaded aluminum fitting and a male threaded aluminum point. I did the same for both ends of the carbon tube that serves as the shorter pole for the hexamid. I then made an aluminum connector with two male ends that can connect the threaded female ends of the LT4 and the small pole, and a composite sleeve to go over the joint (to bear the bending load and protect the connector).

The composite sleeve was an experiment. I decided to try a hand layup because I couldn't find any carbon or aluminum tubing in just the right diameter. The materials I had in the garage were Vectran tow, 1 oz basalt woven fabric, basalt fiber tow, and Loctite EH60 epoxy. So I saturated a rectangle of the basalt fabric, some Vectran tow, and some basalt fiber tow with the epoxy. I then rolled the fabric around an aluminum tubing mandrel (with silicone mold release), I wound the vectran around the basalt fabric, and I wound some basalt fiber tow around the ends. I then wrapped LDPE film tightly around the layup, and put it in a warm place overnight. The next day, I had a fabric wrapped and filament wound Basalt/Vectran tube to go over the pole joint. It is very rigid (I don't think I could break it with my hands), and weighs 0.12 oz.

both

small pole

small pole with connector

small pole connected

Lt4

LT4 with connector

LT4 connected

poles

fishing pole

Both poles, with the connector, weigh 3.15 ounces. I plan to add a couple of pegs/hooks to the side of the LT4 for hand reeling, and a short aluminum tube to the end to serve as a spool for casting. I hope to keep the entire weight penalty of my fishing tools under 2 ounces (because the poles are already a component of the tent). Any ideas or feedback are welcome.

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
fishing on 02/26/2012 20:52:25 MST Print View

You must do a different kind of fishing than I do. I've thought about using a couple of the lower sections of one of my rods for tent poles...but my fishing rod is a lot lighter and more flexible than you tent pole. What are you planning on catching? That rod won't have any give or play in it at all.

Might as well just cut a switch out of an alder bush and use that for fishing. You don't have to carry it to the next campsite.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Pole on 02/26/2012 21:13:20 MST Print View

When I was young, I successfully caught trout by doing what you suggest: cutting a branch (or finding a fallen one) and tying line to it. Those branches were never an ideal fishing pole in any sense, but they worked. I think a 7' long piece of somewhat flexible carbon tubing is no worse.

It's true that a fishing pole fashioned from a branch wouldn't have to be packed and carried between campsites. One wouldn't have the extra weight of a fishing pole if one fished with a branch. Or, one could use the tent poles that one carries anyway for a fishing pole. In that case, too, there wouldn't be any extra fishing pole weight to carry. The weight savings are equal to using a branch.

Edited by ckrusor on 02/26/2012 21:47:04 MST.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Pole on 02/27/2012 10:43:43 MST Print View

I think it's a great idea Colin. True, it might be tough to implement, but very innovative and forward thinking.

Ryan