Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Dehydrated chicken pot pie

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
Dehydrated chicken pot pie on 02/26/2012 19:36:40 MST Print View

The recipes is see for chicken pot pie call for milk.

If I cook some up (without the chicken or crust) should I include the milk? Or add dehydrated milk to the mix after I dry it? Will the recipe cook the same without the milk?

I plan to put the rehydrated mix over instant mashed potatoes or Bisquik biscuits and add foil wrapped chicken.

Might be a dumb question but I only cook burritos so I don't know. Although I did make a pretty good chocolate mousse one Christmas eve (after 3 tries).

Edited by davidlutz on 02/26/2012 19:40:28 MST.

Heather Hohnholz
(Hawke) - M
Milk on 02/27/2012 07:39:23 MST Print View

Here's a recipe without milk, problem solved!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-pot-pie-ii-2/

But to truly answer your question, there's no reason you can't cook the milk in the recipe then dehydrate. After all, powdered milk is nothing more than dehydrated milk. :)

Rob E
(eatSleepFish)

Locale: Canada
Re: Dehydrated chicken pot pie on 02/27/2012 07:48:54 MST Print View

You should experiment and post your results here as it sounds like a good recipe. I would go with adding the skim milk powder personally. Skim milk powder is made by using a spray-dry process, and I don't think you would easily achieve the same results with a normal rack/oven dehydrator.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: Milk on 02/27/2012 08:10:35 MST Print View

I would try adding nestle Nido to whatever recipe you decide on. It's available at hispanic/mexican grocery stores. It is super rich- I put a tablespoon or two in any recipe that could use a little creaminess. Even at home I think it tastes good, which means that on the trail it's awesome!