Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Dehydrated chicken pot pie
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Lutz

Locale: Bay Area
Dehydrated chicken pot pie on 02/26/2012 19:36:40 MST Print View

The recipes is see for chicken pot pie call for milk.

If I cook some up (without the chicken or crust) should I include the milk? Or add dehydrated milk to the mix after I dry it? Will the recipe cook the same without the milk?

I plan to put the rehydrated mix over instant mashed potatoes or Bisquik biscuits and add foil wrapped chicken.

Might be a dumb question but I only cook burritos so I don't know. Although I did make a pretty good chocolate mousse one Christmas eve (after 3 tries).

Edited by davidlutz on 02/26/2012 19:40:28 MST.

Heather Hohnholz
(Hawke) - M
Milk on 02/27/2012 07:39:23 MST Print View

Here's a recipe without milk, problem solved!

But to truly answer your question, there's no reason you can't cook the milk in the recipe then dehydrate. After all, powdered milk is nothing more than dehydrated milk. :)

Rob E

Locale: Canada
Re: Dehydrated chicken pot pie on 02/27/2012 07:48:54 MST Print View

You should experiment and post your results here as it sounds like a good recipe. I would go with adding the skim milk powder personally. Skim milk powder is made by using a spray-dry process, and I don't think you would easily achieve the same results with a normal rack/oven dehydrator.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: Milk on 02/27/2012 08:10:35 MST Print View

I would try adding nestle Nido to whatever recipe you decide on. It's available at hispanic/mexican grocery stores. It is super rich- I put a tablespoon or two in any recipe that could use a little creaminess. Even at home I think it tastes good, which means that on the trail it's awesome!