Forum Index » GEAR » K Cups

Display Avatars Sort By:
Andy Anderson
(ianders) - F

Locale: Southeast
K Cups on 02/26/2012 15:26:16 MST Print View

Anybody figured out a way to brew a K Cup on the trail?

Edited by ianders on 02/26/2012 15:27:02 MST.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Re: K Cups on 02/26/2012 16:31:27 MST Print View

Starbucks VIA. Try it if you haven't yet

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
via on down to TJ's on 02/26/2012 19:33:04 MST Print View

Trader Joe's via knock-off with cream and sugar in it is much better tasting and lighter, too. Their black-coffee version is also good, but I'm gonna dose it up anyway, so...

Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Re: via on down to TJ's on 02/26/2012 19:35:53 MST Print View

I saw their cream and sugar version, but there's a black coffee version?

Phillip Colelli
(pdcolelli42)

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com
just add hot water on 02/26/2012 19:51:47 MST Print View

All the actual brewers do is drip hot water over the cup and poke a hole in the bottom to drain it. Why not find a way to suspend it over a mug and just pour your hot water over it slowly. If you really want to use those.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"K Cups" on 02/26/2012 21:06:00 MST Print View

Good luck with the K Cup idea, not going to happen. The K-Cups rely on back pressure and infusion within the cup to properly brew, you're not going to be able to come up with a simple solution on the trail that results in a decent cup of coffee. Plus the K-Cups just introduce more trash and cost more than is necessary.

Pack a small screen or sieve to pour your coffee through into your mug after it has brewed in your pot, easy. Or go low key and just do a simple cowboy coffee, stir the top of your mug with a stick to settle the grounds to the bottom, sip slowly.

The easiest ways to make coffee are usually the lightest and make a strong cup.

Simon Wurster
(Einstein) - F

Locale: Big Apple
Try Dr. Drip on 02/26/2012 21:50:17 MST Print View

I think VIA, or the Trader Joe's knock-off, are the way to go: compact, little waste, and great tasting. But if you really want brewed coffee with little mess, try Dr. Drip's self-contained drip system: . It tastes better than VIA, but is relatively heavy (0.5 oz. ea.), bulky, and expensive ($9 for 5).

Dr Drip

Dr Drip

Phillip Colelli
(pdcolelli42)

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com
Re: Try Dr. Drip on 02/26/2012 21:59:41 MST Print View

That Dr. Drip thing looks easy enough to make your own out of a milk jug or something and it would be reusable.

Kyle Crawford
(getupandgo) - F

Locale: SouthEast
K Cups on 02/26/2012 22:00:43 MST Print View

I'm looking for a lightweight coffee setup too. Never heard of the K Cups before, but looks like an interesting method. Anyone had any experience in the field with either the GSI Ultralight Java Drip or the MSR Mugmate or anything similar? They both seem like good contenders for what I'd like them to do.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
TJ's on 02/27/2012 11:57:25 MST Print View

{quote}I saw their cream and sugar version, but there's a black coffee version?{/quote}

Yes. It's in a dark blue box, I think.

Addison Page
(Nihilist_Voyager) - F

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!
The Man Way on 02/27/2012 18:44:34 MST Print View

Cowboy Coffee my friend! Coarse ground coffee goes into boiling water, let the grounds settle, pour into cup, you're all set.

Or get a small ti percolate. It can be used as a cook pot too.

My favorite is to bring a french press lid that fits you're cookpot. French presses are arguably the best way to enjoy coffee and a great way to start you're day.

(I work at Starbucks and have become a bit.of a coffee snob ;) )

chuck w
(kcwins) - F

Locale: S.E. Michigan
k cups on 02/27/2012 19:05:54 MST Print View

Not to mention k cups cost a fortune. I like the jet boil french press the best with the msr drip a close second.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: K Cups on 02/27/2012 19:29:18 MST Print View

I've been using the Montbell OD Dripper. Good cup of Joe.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1124510

Have also used filters made from noseeum with great success. Works as a prefilter also.

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: GSI French Press on 02/27/2012 20:59:29 MST Print View

I bought the GSI Personal Java Press a couple years ago, it makes an AWESOME cup of coffee, but it is fairly heavy. I think w/o the included mug it was still over 7.5oz, the Snow Peak French press is like 6.5 oz, still pretty heavy, but IMHO there is no better coffee. I've since switched to Via.

Edited by arttyszka on 02/27/2012 21:01:20 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Snow Peak OD Dripper on 02/27/2012 21:06:23 MST Print View

@ Ken,

How does that Snow Peak OD Dripper work?

I think the word "dripper" is throwing me off. Is it basically a mesh infuser? Similar to the MSR Mugmate?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Snow Peak OD Dripper on 02/27/2012 21:21:33 MST Print View

Think of it as a coneless drip coffee filter. Using a couple of sticks/stakes to suspend filter above cup and pour. You can use is dip fashion as well if no separate coffee mug. I do take a mug.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Snow Peak OD Dripper on 02/27/2012 21:28:13 MST Print View

Got it Ken, thanks. I looked at the Montbell website and they have the dripper inside a fancy mesh storage bag, threw me off.

Course grounds for this setup?

I like the idea of a reusable, non litter producing, coffee solution.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Snow Peak OD Dripper on 02/27/2012 21:40:18 MST Print View

You do get a tiny, tiny amount of coffee dust no matter the grind. I do a somewhat fine grind. Or buy the little foil packages of preground coffee from Safeway. Plenty of coffee for a long weekend in one of those. I like the toss the grounds, rinse and go aspect of this method. Though Cowboy coffee trumps all in simplicity. I always seem to get too much floating particulate matter for an enjoyable cup. Filter is light and dual use. Price is high. It works though.

Via is not an option. Too expensive, and I can have the real thing.

Buying Via, watch out. Been on a trip where everyone but me brought Via. All bought de cafe by mistake. Too bad for them. It was sad.

K cups on the trail? Just no.

Edited by kthompson on 02/27/2012 21:43:25 MST.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
cloth tea bags on 02/27/2012 22:20:45 MST Print View

I fill cloth tea bags with my own home-ground coffee. Works great and the little bags get washed and recycled. Got 'em at "The Grove" mall in LA at a kitchen goods store. (No, not Williams 'Spensive Sonoma)

Chris Jones
(NightMarcher) - F
K Cups? K Cups!!! on 02/28/2012 06:39:45 MST Print View

Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting something else?