(gg-man) - F
My first post :O on 02/25/2012 19:33:48 MST Print View

"If wife kicks me out at least I'll have a warm place to sleep!!!"

in reference to just buying a UL-20 quilt

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Your first words on BPL? on 02/25/2012 19:44:36 MST Print View

It was a make your own gear post. Go figure. ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11/22/2009 16:03:46 MST

Great article and pictures Jay.

My first attempt at this pack garnered some oohs and ahs from my wife and son. I was rather well pleased with it myself especially due to the much lower cost compared to purchasing a SUL pack ready made. I added a large pocket on the front and "fancied" up the water bottle pockets with a felled seam two tone effect to match the front pocket material. I used a polyester/nylon shirt for the material and inserted elastic in the bottom hem of the shirt material to save construction time.

picture of homemade SUL backpack

Could Jay post some pictures and maybe some detailed instructions or explanation how to easily sew the seams at the side panel/front/bottom/rear of the pack? This was the only place where I really struggled.

Thanks,

Newton

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was way before my Party On days. LOL

Party On,

Newton

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Your first words on BPL? on 02/26/2012 00:34:54 MST Print View

See, I think its fun tracking the changes over the years!

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
first words on 02/26/2012 08:15:17 MST Print View

Mine was....

Homemade is better for sure on 04/22/2006 20:19:11 MDT

"I'm a big fan of homemade backpacking foods too. I'm the owner of www.outdooradventurecanada.com and I do a ton of wilderness travel... it didn't take long before I got totally sick of pre-packaged foods. I now teach wilderness cooking classes (online) which is a lot of fun and have learned a ton since those first trips."

This was written when we were still able to travel loads because our little guy was 5. I have a toddler and am not getting in as much trail as I would like. Since then I nixed the course and wrote two books, started a wilderness cooking website and a blog, and took up running. My life has changed dramatically but many things are still the same... still married to the same guy. Still love hiking. Still adore making homemade backpacking fare.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Your first words on BPL? on 02/26/2012 15:10:17 MST Print View

From memory my first words were :
Travis,
I' m old everywhere but the Contrail is an excellent choice...

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Your first words on BPL? on 02/26/2012 15:51:03 MST Print View

I wrote an introductory post (Hi, I'm....) back when I finally joined a couple of years ago.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Your first words on BPL? on 02/26/2012 20:46:34 MST Print View

My first post (from 2007) gave me a bit of a laugh when I went to look it up...

Last week I told my son that I had figured out what was causing the knee pain issue I've been having lately. I showed him one of my hiking shoes and it was completely broken down on one side. I switched to a newer pair and the pain is gone. Should have read my old post! (except in my case it was the shoes!)

===============================================
Light weight shoes... on 11/12/2007 03:01:03 MST

Knee pain can be caused by minor changes to your regular gait. A blister or a tight hamstring can change the way you walk and put pressure on your knee. Proper conditioning and stretching are obviously the most important things you can do to prevent this from happening. If you continue for long distances with foot or leg pain you will likely be weighting one knee slightly more than the other and could end up with a real problem. It doesn't take much to throw your normal walk out of alignment and the resulting knee pain could mistakenly be blamed on the shoes.

Jace Mullen
(climberslacker) - F

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.
Baby's first words on 02/26/2012 21:29:06 MST Print View

This was regarding making a pattern for a jacket. I gave up trying to make the jacket when I saw it on sale.

Still haven't really broken out the sewing machine since.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I really like the Western Mountaineering hooded flash jacket, and especially like that it only uses 3oz. of down fill (I live in so-cal and don't need that much warmth). So does anyone have any patterns like it? Also would 900 f.p. down work well in a jacket?

-CS

----------------------------------------------------------------------

a b
(Ice-axe)
Skurka's Book on 02/26/2012 23:15:12 MST Print View

My first words on BPL
"I often wonder if someone had magically replaced all 35 lbs of gear I carried in 1991 with the 7 lbs I carry now if I would suffer or be able to figure out the strategies that make the UL gear possible."

In reference to Andrew Skurka's new book, still being written.
I posted this in February of LAST year.
Dang i wish i had been chosen to review that book.
No offense to Luke of course.
I just really wanted the chance to prove myself.
I even had a whole plan of how I would read the whole book all night as soon as it came just for first impressions. It really doesn't matter now. anyways.
Anyhow, I look forward to Luke's review. I am sure it will be excellant.

Edited by Ice-axe on 02/26/2012 23:58:52 MST.