Forum Index » Chaff » Your first words on BPL?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Your first words on BPL? on 02/24/2012 23:17:55 MST Print View

Many of us have been around for a few years or more and I think it'd be interesting to see the different "First Posts" from other members, regardless of when you started posting. In order to separate the copied post from current annotation, please enclose it in lines like I do below. I simply went to my profile, found my first post, and copied the post title, time, and text.

=======================================
Contrail size on 03/14/2009 09:25:31 MDT

Franco, I'm new here, and also to the lightweight backpacking world, but am learning fast! I've been doing a lot of research (my girlfriend calls it obsessing), and you seem to be the go-to guy for the Contrail. I know it'd be tight, but could you fit two people in there? I'm 5' 10" 165 lbs. and my girlfriend is 5' 4" 105 lbs, so we're not large people. The specs (especially when the bathtub floor is relaxed a bit) seem bigger than the Mountain Hardware Meridian 2 we're currently using, and thats supposed to be a 2 person tent. We don't mind being cozy, and I know it'd be tight, but I can't get over the 1.5 lb. weight of it! Plus, tarptents seem to be a little more "primitive" and natural versus the mass produced tents from big companies. (I find this a good thing when I'm in the wild anyways) Thanks!

I look at that post and see that I wasn't married then, I hadn't even really considered talking to Henry Shires first, and what tent I was using before my UL transition. Heh. I remember first discovering these forums.

What were your first words?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Your first words on BPL? on 02/24/2012 23:31:44 MST Print View

anyone in humoldt? on 07/27/2005 21:07:38 MDT
just moved to fortuna in humboldt county,ca. are there any lightminded others here? i'd like a partner for weekend and some longer trips in the area.

============================================

I had let my subscription lapse when I knew I was moving up here. My first posts were on the original forum. I used a different user name then also.

I was apparently unable to find the caps button that day.

Edited by kthompson on 02/24/2012 23:32:50 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Your first words on BPL? on 02/24/2012 23:39:15 MST Print View

Ken, there was an "original" forum? What was it like?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Your first words on BPL?" on 02/24/2012 23:40:35 MST Print View

02/04/2009 07:06:16 MST

"Thoroughly enjoyed this article, thanks for the ideas and inspiration."

This first post refers to the one and only Jamie Shortt's excellent "Lightweight Testimony: My Journey into Lightweight Backpacking" article which just about spelled it all out for me.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Your first words on BPL? on 02/24/2012 23:57:56 MST Print View

Emigrant Wilderness Suggestions? on 09/30/2010 14:38:39 MDT

I'll be in Emigrant Wilderness for 7 nights in early October and am looking for route suggestions and/or individual campsite suggestions, preferably some off the main trail. Not interested in fishing, just nice scenery. My initial thoughts are something along the lines of Crabtree > Chewing Gum Lake > Deer Lake > Letora Lake (2 nights with day trip to Huckleberry Lake) > Pingree Lake (2 nights with day trip to Big Lake) > Gem Lake > Crabtree.

=================================

I ended up doing that trip with my 6lbs Arc Teryx pack and probably about 45 pounds total. I started poking around this site a bit more after I got back and sold that pack shortly after.

Emigrant

Edited by csteutterman on 02/25/2012 00:03:48 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: original BPL forum on 02/25/2012 00:04:38 MST Print View

Travis. Pretty basic as is this one. Background color change, and ... I don't remember, it's been a while.

Look at this though

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=35&skip_to_post=599#599

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18

back in the days when you could post anonymously.

Edited by kthompson on 02/25/2012 00:07:41 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: original BPL forum on 02/25/2012 00:14:28 MST Print View

Woah, Ken. I think every issue in the first link has been discussed everywhere BUT Chaff!

Gerry Volpe
(gvolpe)

Locale: Vermont
first words on 02/25/2012 06:46:37 MST Print View

I lurked for a couple years before posting and overall don't post much, though this season has seen me much more involved due to spending more time at home with my daughter. Great community!

---------------------------------------------------------------
UL skitouring on 11/12/2009 11:07:28 MST
I really like my Karhu 10th Mountain Division BC touring skis. They are very versatile. With a 1 1/2 camber and waxless base they tour decently. They are fairly wide, have full metal edges and have decent shape so they turn well on powder, ok in corn, and poorly on ice/crust. Karhu also makes the guide which is more downhill oriented having a single camber but with a waxless base for easier touring. This is the only ski I have heard of in this class.

I have mine mounted with Voile' three pin cable bindings. I like these because the cable clicks into the heel riser for touring so you have more freedom of movement and less fatigue. When you get to a more technical downhill it is a snap to put the cable on your boots gaining significant control.

I use beater leather or plastic tele boots depending on terrain for economy but would prefer a pair of Fischer bcx 675 which seem to provide a good mix of touring comfort and torsional rdgidity for turning.

I have heard the people mount A/T bindings on the Guides for Randonee racing. Perhaps this could work on the 10th mountains as well which are lighter and kick and glide better. Not having ever used A/T boots I don't know but seems like they might not be flexible enough to do the type of touring miles you are talking about comfortably. If you have time you might consider experimenting with demo free heel gear and or mounting some comparable used bc touring skis with A/T gear.

I just use some old mohair skins I had though they don't get used much as the 10th mountains climb very well with just the waxless base. I haven't put any research or money into reducing my ski gear weight but I know there is much lighter out there.

I also can't speak to long term durability. They are Definately a lot lighter weight(a good thing) than my tele skis but I am heavy 270 and they held up fine after a season of moderate use.

Good luck finding suitable gear I hope you enjoy your next adventure.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Your first words on BPL? on 02/25/2012 07:28:01 MST Print View

eVENT Cagoule on 01/22/2005 22:20:21 MST

After trying all kinds of different rain jackets I've finally come to the conclusion that for me the best kind of upper rain wear is a traditional mountaineering cagoule. I like the ventilation it provides and the protection the length gives, such as when you are hunkered down, waiting out a storm with your legs drawn up inside. With the hem drawn up you can use it while climbing and and you can throw it over your back for covering a small pack. I rarely need to wear rain pants.

I've been using a non-breathable version I found a few years ago here in Japan, but when cinching up the waist while wearing the pack it gets mighty wet inside from all my sweating. I've been seeking a breathable version that would work better with mountain walking, especially here in Japan where it is very humid.

I can't find properly blousy cagoules anywhere, not even the old Kokatat version (which is too heavy and narrow for drawing up my legs inside). MontBell also makes one, but it, too, is too narrow. Hilleberg's Bivanorak, which I tried on about three months ago, is much too big and volumnous. What I'd like is similar in design to the 1972 Chouinard catalog ( http://climbaz.com/chouinard72/ch_page60.html ) version. If there is no possibility of buying a ready-made cagoule I think I might just make one myself, but I wonder if it is possible to get eVENT fabric for individuals? And would anyone know of a good cagoule pattern with a good hood and sleeve design?

I'd appreciate any leads. Thanks.

========================================

I had let my subscription lapse when I knew I was moving up here. My first posts were on the original forum. I used a different user name then also.

I had done the same, opting out of BPL for a short while because I wasn't happy with the way things had been going with BPL back then. My earliest post was before my subscription ran out, and also in the earlier forums. I was in BPL just about from the beginning, but I can't recall exactly which year that was!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Your first words on BPL? on 02/25/2012 07:55:11 MST Print View

Pretty self explanatory. I didn't get into the wiseassness and generally useless posts for a bit when first coming here!

------------------------
Re: Nunatak on 08/18/2009 13:48:59 MDT

Why is it so expensive? Tom's products are not made overseas, for one. I don't believe they're made in large production facilities either. I own an AT quilt, the Back Country Blanket, and just ordered a Skaha with hood and pockets and another AT quilt overfilled. It's exactly what I want with quality that I appreciate. And Tom answers his email!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
First words on 02/25/2012 08:29:15 MST Print View

Big Sur for Labor Day Weekend? on 08/31/2009 13:19:31 MDT

Going to Big Sur, either Pico Blanco, Pine Valley, Salmon Creek. Anyone interested? Plan on getting to area around 8am and hike before the heat.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
First words on 02/25/2012 08:31:42 MST Print View

I wish that Kat P was hiking in Scotland. 2007

Ok, i made that up. :)

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: First words on 02/25/2012 08:35:15 MST Print View

You are funny Mike :)

Rick Horne
(Rick778) - M

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell
Re: Your first words on BPL? on 02/25/2012 08:45:10 MST Print View

Everything Weighs Something on 05/09/2010 10:38:49 MDT
Very enjoyable!
Like others have mentioned, this was like reading my life story. I started backpacking in high school in 1972 and still have my SVEA stove. Don't use it backpacking, but still use it family car camping. Last summer my nephew and I hiked from Tuolumne Meadows to White Wolf via Benson Pass. Thought I had lightened my load sufficiently to a base of 35 lbs (including food), but I was wrong. A work in progress!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I probably had been lurking for over a year before I posted. I had lightened up a bit for the above trip through tips I picked up on the forum, but have become kind of a gear geek since. As I've aged, find I just cant carry those heavy loads and still enjoy the trip.

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
polite on 02/25/2012 08:54:31 MST Print View

i guess i was the polite one.....(how things change)

7/1/2008

"just entered the forum and thought i would say hi.

ben-"

Edited by benwood on 02/25/2012 08:55:46 MST.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
First words on 02/25/2012 09:16:30 MST Print View

Sorry Kat. :)
I love your name.
I gave my daughter the same name in 1985. )
Even my ex wife still thinks that Katrina is a beautiful name.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: First words on 02/25/2012 09:18:56 MST Print View

I would have bet money that Doug's first words were Cuben Fiber.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: First words on 02/25/2012 13:36:33 MST Print View

>I would have bet money that Doug's first words were Cuben Fiber.

On BPL, or as a child?

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Your first words on BPL? on 02/25/2012 13:56:05 MST Print View

Re: Re: Any cure for my blister causing shoes? on 04/19/2010 13:15:29 MDT

I second the liner sock approach. I've fallen in love with Wright Sock Coolmesh socks. They're a double layer sock which move any friction to the sock layers rather than your foot. I've got Rocklite 295s and haven't had any blisters with this combination.

Although I've never suffered from hiking shoe blisters I do get them occasionally from sandals and dress shoes. So I am not entirely resistant ;)

Almost two years now with 39 pages of posts. I think I need to get out more...

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Your first words on BPL? on 02/25/2012 14:29:34 MST Print View

"Here's one source:

http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm#TENT POLES"