Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ti Foil Tabs made Easy
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Leonard
(mxracer33x) - F

Locale: West Coast
Ti Foil Tabs made Easy on 02/23/2012 22:33:22 MST Print View

Ive been using this technique for a while now with great success so I figured Id pass it along.

Ive been making wind screens with Titanium foil in the .005 average thickness and it punches easily with a hand hole punch. I made some larger punches for punching acces holes for my stove valves and larger inlet in the bottom as well but it was nice to be able to keep them adjusted at the diameter I wanted.

I made one windscreen that I could use for my winter pot boiling water or my summer stove "gourmet" cooking in a frypan, all with the same windscreen. A series of well placed holes and a couple of punched tabs allowed me to adjust the diameter to my needs.

I used a standard $1 hand hole punch and ground the punch head down to 1/2 the size and cut the leading edge out of the hole in the lower "jaw" of the punch. this leaves a nice half circle punched in the sheet. Then you just use a razor to cut both sides of the tab to the desired length. I have found 3/8" - 1/2" to work well.

PICTURES!
Ti foil punch 1
Ti foil punch 2
ti tab1
ti tab2
ti tab3
ti tab4

Edited by mxracer33x on 02/23/2012 22:34:32 MST.

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Locale: Eastern Canada
Nice wind screen on 02/23/2012 22:37:55 MST Print View

I usually use my sleeping pad if the wind is kicking my ass. This works if you want to carry it. I use a wood burning stove though.