Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Wind Rivers 2010

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Wortman
(bwortman)

Locale: Nebraska
Wind Rivers 2010 on 02/23/2012 19:41:43 MST Print View

Just thought I would post a link to my wind rivers trip in 2010. Sorry I don't have any captions on the pictures, I might add them if I get time in the next week or so. I figure the pictures are better than my lame writeup I would have done.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115489895045533921300/WindRiverBackpacking2010?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLrhgcG0hfeM9wE&feat=directlink

Wind River Backpacking 2010

I started at Elkhart Park. Headed north on the highline trail, over Knapsak Col, through Titcomb Basin, past Island Lake and out.

Let me know if anyone is interested in any more details.

PS
I apologize for the pictures of the traditional double walled tent we used. I hope that does not offend the BPL faithful.

Edited by bwortman on 02/24/2012 14:53:43 MST.

daniel B
(dbogey) - F

Locale: East Coast
Ping Hiking Poles ? on 02/23/2012 20:29:32 MST Print View

I like the idea of using golf shafts for hiking poles. How do they hold up? I saw a post either on on this forum or somewhere else where there were directions on making your own hiking poles from used shafts. I was worrying about their durability

Ben Wortman
(bwortman)

Locale: Nebraska
poles on 02/23/2012 21:40:33 MST Print View

I was originally very leary about golf club shafts. After 3 trips with them, I am more than surprised at the durability. There were several times that I slipped going down a boulderfield and I was sure they were going to snap. But luckily they survived the incident. They are not ideal for steep rocky offtrail trips, but they work great for moderate trails. The best part is that weigh 6oz for the set.

Ben