Forum Index » GEAR » So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/23/2012 19:49:44 MST Print View

Jetboil sol Ti

HMG porter

Ryan Christman
(radio_guy) - MLife

Locale: Midwest U.S.
Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/23/2012 19:59:46 MST Print View

More trips away from the flatlands, somewhere west of the Continental Divide.

Actually, I have all the gear I really need. A 20 degree quilt, TaR X-lite and the new TT Notch would be nice but also costs over $600. Really though, we all should just use what we do have more often.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/23/2012 20:13:16 MST Print View

"although sadly, some love-challenged males among us are taking this thread for a wrong turn!"

Then next time be more specific! You never said it had to be gear, and my answer was an honest one!

Okay, if it's gear you want to know about, this is the year I hope to contact Dan McHale and buy one of his packs. There is simply nothing else that's holding my interest at the moment.

Other than the prof .... never mind.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/23/2012 20:15:45 MST Print View

I am a rock. I cannot be tempted.

Awwww, who am I kidding? Custom Zimmerbuilt pack, HMG Windrider, Neoair X-therm, and some quilts.....oh wait, I already gave into that one.

J P
(jpovs) - F - M
Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/23/2012 20:16:01 MST Print View

A BPL review on Zpacks breathable cuben rain jacket. Tempted to get one but need to see more reviews before I make the move.
My dog wants a Cuben Fiber dog pack. I can see it in her eyes.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Tempting me? How about my wish, want, and regret? on 02/23/2012 20:16:41 MST Print View

My wish: The ability to say f**k the world, f**k a job, and just run off and pull some type of Skurka Alaska type trip.

My want: A 50L HMG Windrider Ultralight pack.

My regrets: Not pulling the trigger on the Echo 1 shelter system.

daniel B
(dbogey) - F

Locale: East Coast
SHR and a Hiking Partner on 02/23/2012 20:17:04 MST Print View

Setting a date to do the Sierra High Route (only a portion) and a Hiking partner to go with, a Tarptent notch and a ULA Circuit.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
tempting?? on 02/23/2012 20:18:10 MST Print View

Up until this afternoon it was a zpacks sleeping bag. The buy button got pushed....

Steve

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Tempting Filipinas... on 02/23/2012 20:22:31 MST Print View

Just returned from the Philippines. Ya wanna talk about tempting girls? THAT's the place adn many Aussies, Americans and Europeans have discovered it.

But I DID use my Steripen constantly after getting amoebic dysertery in Cebu. It was a lifesaver/tripsaver.

Mike Feldman
(MikeF) - M

Locale: SE USA
20 Degree Zpacks quilt bag on 02/23/2012 20:26:47 MST Print View

Made it to now almost to March w/only following thru on one temptation, a Zpacks 20 degree quilt bag w/2 ounces of overfill.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Wait a second.... on 02/23/2012 20:31:18 MST Print View

...how come everyone wants an 8.5oz stove? Are the words Ti and cuben like crack to you all? ;)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: No, You Wait a Second.... on 02/23/2012 20:44:25 MST Print View

Paul:

Why are your picking on Ti and cuben? Everything gear is like crack to us!! :)

But I think I know what you mean about heavier gear...

Edited by ben2world on 02/23/2012 20:45:33 MST.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/23/2012 20:46:00 MST Print View

A Bearikade Weekender and a Katabatic Sawatch with overfill.

I have a bear canister and a sleeping bag already. These would save me 17 ounces for a price of $680 (plus tax and shipping). That's pretty STEEP! No performance gain beyond the weight savings too... and still. I've wanted a Weekender for over a decade. I imaging that I'd be using it for decades to come. And the quilt... well, my sleeping bag is a "heavy" Marmot Helium :(

Probably shouldn't do it, but I'm so tempted!

Heath Pitts
(heathpitts) - F

Locale: Nashville
RE: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/23/2012 20:46:03 MST Print View

DuoMid, Tarptent Notch, or StratoSpire 1. Just got past my previous temptations of an Enlightened Equipment 30 degree quilt and MLD Exodus FS :)

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
blackrock on 02/23/2012 20:48:13 MST Print View

blackrock's vest (but somehow he converts it into a full jacket b/c i don't like vests)

Rob Vandiver
(ShortBus) - M

Locale: So Cal
Tempted... And obsessing. on 02/23/2012 21:07:52 MST Print View

Craig, only 10 more months, huh??

OK, Heres whats been wanting to burn a hole in my pocket:

Neo Air Xlite Womens. Did these things fall of the end of the earth or what? My GF still owes me for Christmas.

ZPacks cuben poncho/ground sheet

Montbell UL wind pants

Oh, and round out the list with a GoPro Hero2 camera, to use with all my hobbies.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: blackrock on 02/23/2012 21:08:40 MST Print View

I'm with a few others. There are plenty of ways for me lighten my load a bit...but really I want to get outside much more. Which I guess really means I need to finish school ;)

That said I actually have two needs:
A tarp, any tarp at this point. I'm tired of my REI WPB bivy. I've done well on group trips splitting a tent here in the desert, but all my solo trips have been rainy and the bivy might as well be a VBL for how wet it gets inside. With the tarp a new breathable bivy too.

I also need a warm parka if I get lucky and can move down to Chile. The Andes will be too tempting for me to ignore.

But really, get out of the city more is priority number one!

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
!!!! on 02/23/2012 21:20:30 MST Print View

A Zimmerbuilt pack or two and some down pants from Goose Feet or possibly a new sleep system. Zimmerbuilt is highest on the list. Need a good lightweight day pack.

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/23/2012 21:25:19 MST Print View

What isn't? Its tempting, but I can't afford any of it at all :-(

Black Rock: Hadron, Vest, WPB Cuben overmitts in extra small (hey, don't laugh!). Original for my partner.

NeoAir X-lite, small, I'll hack it down to about 32inches long. Regular size for her.

Z packs sleeping bags for both of us, with the side zip. Extra down for hers.

Suluk46: his WPB Cuben topped bivy, but with stronger cuben bottom...about three of them...a double and a single for when I'm going solo on the bike. Also a single with the light bottom for when I'm walking and can take is foam groundsheet to protect it (too bulky with the bike).

Revelate Designs: Visacha seat pack. Get a custom extra large mesh top pocket for it.

MLD: Cuben poncho

Baum: a custom Titanium fast audax bike...don't get me started on the details of that...or the astronomical cost...

Custom stuff from whoever can make it...

1. WPB Cuben torso'd, M50 sleeved hoodless rain jacket. Sub 2.5oz?

2. 7D windpaints custom fitted to give me enough flexibility to cycle in, but nice and slim so that they don't catch too much wind. Look good enough to substitute as my main paints off the bike for town use.

3. One of those old Golite t-shirts that weighed something like 60g. I think Dan has one. They don't seem to make them anymore, and no one else seems to get close for weight.

4. A 0.34oz/sqyd cuben square micro tarp for over the head end of my bivy. Dyed stealthy colours. No seams, about 5x5feet. Sub 1oz not including guys and pegs?

5. Cuben tank bag for the bike's top tube.

EDIT, MORE!!!...

6. One of Roger Caffin's tunnel tents with a 1.4oz cuben floor, he can pick all the other details. It would just be so much easier and more comfortable for Sharla and I than my trailstar with pole in the middle. I don't mind the extra weight when we are together.

7. Titanium mini nail clippers. My stainless manicure ones weigh 16grams, and even if I remove the file and give it some drillium, they'll still be about 13-14grams. Way too much.

8. A McHale.

9. A cuben bumbag, about 4 Litres, with some reflective panelling on it.

Edited by oysters on 02/23/2012 21:47:18 MST.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re:Neo-Air on 02/23/2012 21:27:15 MST Print View

I really want the new Neo Air Xlite regular. Bu $160 dollars for a sleeping pad is obscene. So I just keep watching gear swap for someone selling the old regular version for around $80.

What might get me though is the REI 20% off coupon but $130 is still obscene for a sleeping pad. Plus shipping to Canada with REI is never cheap although you can get most of it refunded afterwards if the actual shipping cost is less than the flat rate cost. And I have a few other things I want to buy from there but really they can wait for my trip down the Oregon coast in July.

Other than that I have some more reasonable purchases I am making to equip myself for some long distance runs. A small cheap running pack and a Blizzard bag. And some new trail shoes (I need them as the sides are blowing out on my current ones)

Since I have now more or less finished my 10lb ish kit my new thought process for buying gear is that the gear needs to allow me to do something new not do something marginally better. So instead of pouring over gearlists I am pouring over potential running routes and working on logistics.