Forum Index » GEAR » So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/23/2012 21:35:53 MST Print View

@Jack Agree with the Weekender. Just do it. I'll pick one up this summer. Enough waiting.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Re: Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/23/2012 21:54:05 MST Print View

Jack: I have a Bare Boxer Champ that's never been used I'd sell ya! =)

Ben Wortman
(bwortman)

Locale: Nebraska
Exped on 02/23/2012 22:03:44 MST Print View

I am lusting over an Exped UL7 when it comes out in long/wide. I have a load of moosejaw points that are ready and waiting. Last I heard is that they will start showing up in March or April.

Edited by bwortman on 02/23/2012 22:18:13 MST.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out on 02/23/2012 22:16:06 MST Print View

Maybe a Cervelo RS. But probably just a Stratosphire 2. Need to replace the DR, just waiting on the severance package.

Luke Khuu
(ninhsavestheday)
Mld on 02/23/2012 22:37:48 MST Print View

Cuben fiber duomid

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Spitting Things Out on 02/23/2012 22:42:06 MST Print View

I think the final piece to my puzzle is a quilt. Not sure which one, but I want one.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/23/2012 22:52:25 MST Print View

Since my McHale Bump is traveling along the Left Coast towards me in a Brown van, I have everything I need for a long time.

However, all pairs of my beloved 5" Patagonia Baggies are approaching their 30 year birthday and are for all intents and purposes worn out. Patagonia finally brought them back to market again and I have been waiting for some to go one sale at a discount somewhere. But that has not happened. So I will probably buy a couple pair at $49. I know that sounds like a lot of money, but if past performance is any indicator the new ones will last until I am in my 90's, which statistically won't happen... although my father is getting close.

Ted E
(denver_whitest185) - MLife

Locale: CO
My wants on 02/23/2012 23:05:41 MST Print View

i got myself a neoair allseason, but if the xtherm is as light and as warm as they say it is, i might sell my allseason and get one of those when it comes out.

A evernew 900ml pot (the one that weighs 3.5 oz and will fit my bushbuddy) and a AGG cozy to go with it.

A lighter shoulder season bag. i have a really nice winter bag, and a really nice summer bag, but nothing inbetween thats remotely light. hopefully with my new warmer neoair, i can push my summer bag to lower temps without noticing.

A montbell tachyon anorak, if they make them again. if they don't, im going to be mad at myself for not buying one when i could have... (if anyone has a large in good shape, i want it)

a montbell ex light vest - had one and sold it when i needed some rent money, i've regretted it ever since and now they don't make them. maybe i can find something that works the same, or get montbell's UL down vest instead.

oh, and i really want to spend all of june in the greater yellowstone/grand tetons area. that kinda depends on the snowpack. if its like last year, it'll suck, if its like the year before, it'll be GREAT!

Edited by denver_whitest185 on 02/23/2012 23:10:15 MST.

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/23/2012 23:39:50 MST Print View

@Nick: I'm looking forward to hearing about the details of your Bump pack! Also, Patagonia runs a 50% off sale late summer/early fall (Septemberish) if you can wait 'til then.

For myself (in no particular order):

1) An assault climbing pack. My HMG Expedition gets the job done, but I don't like the way I have to lash everything on the outside. I want to fondle the new MH packs (40L) before making a decision.

2) Hardshell pants. At this rate, I won't need them this winter anyway and can wait until next year. That's the idea, at least.

3) Building out my climbing rack.

4) 4-season tent. I think REI's 20% off sale will go towards a Direkt 2…

I'm not buying backpacking gear, and I can't think of anything that's really tempting me. I'll need new trail runners by the summer season, but hoping I can make do until then. My gear lust has shifted once I swore off buying new backpacking gear and started focusing on winter ascents.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out on 02/23/2012 23:42:56 MST Print View

NeoAir Xtherm
Bearikade (both sizes...we're just talking temptation here, not reality)
Breathable Cuben jacket
All the MYOG stuff I will probably take years to get to...procrastination, y'know?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out on 02/23/2012 23:47:41 MST Print View

>All the MYOG stuff I will probably take years to get to...procrastination, y'know?

Procrastination is like Masturbation. It feels good at first, but in the end, you realize you're just screwin' yourself.

Edited by T.L. on 02/23/2012 23:48:26 MST.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead) - F

Locale: Cen Cal
Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/24/2012 01:16:36 MST Print View

Shelter: Beak for my Echo I tarp and a Virga Outdoors bivy
Pack: Zpacks Exo w/ hipbelt pockets
Quilt: Katabatic Gear Palisade w/ 2oz overfill to replace my Chisos w/ 2oz overfill
Pants: Western Mountaineering Flash Pants or Goosefeet Down Pants
Bear can: Bearikade Weekender or Expedition

The above would complete my dream setup. Too bad I have to buy 2 grand worth of tires and wheels for my Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep is a whole different story, just empty every pocket.

Edited by TRAUMAhead on 02/24/2012 02:23:09 MST.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/24/2012 06:35:10 MST Print View

Travis, you waited until after midnight (your time) to come up with the best line of the day. Way to go!

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: procrastination on 02/24/2012 07:46:44 MST Print View

LOL...so very true.

Patrick S
(xpatrickxad) - F

Locale: Upper East TN
Re: So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out! on 02/24/2012 07:48:04 MST Print View

A new job, a new location (I'm thinking something in the way of desert), a new long hike and a masticating juicer.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Temptation on 02/24/2012 07:52:08 MST Print View

I've been trying to eliminate all non-essential spending in an effort to move toward a lifestyle that allows me more time outdoors and with my family. So far, I've succeeded at not buying the Katabatic Blackwelder wide quilt to replace my bulky -20 WM bag. And if I did buy it, I'd probably need to upgrade to a warmer pad than the neoair short I've been able to get away with. Maybe something like the Xtherm. It's a slippery slope.

The one item that's more of a commitment than a temptation is an alpacka raft. I've been planning this for the past year. I don't currently own anything like it, and I believe it will allow me to push backcountry exploration to a new level. I figure that if I can sell some stuff I currently own so that I don't have to lay out "new" cash, then it's probably ok.

Leslie Thurston
(lesler) - F

Locale: right here, right now
"So What's Tempting You? C'mon, Spit It Out!" spitting it.... on 02/24/2012 09:06:10 MST Print View

a used road bike for dirt cheap.

Diana Nevins
(artemis) - MLife

Locale: Great Plains
My Temptations on 02/24/2012 09:18:36 MST Print View

A ULA pack (either a Catalyst or a Circuit) - which is stupid, because I literally just bought a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus which I haven't even had a chance to use yet! But since when is gear lust sensible?

A Bearikade Expedition bear canister - which is also stupid, since I'll have no need for a bear canister of that size for at least two years (if then).

And a whole lot more vacation time, to give me a chance to actually use all the stuff I've accumulated - which is sensible, but has no chance of actually happening. Too bad I can't just win the lottery!

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Re Temptation on 02/24/2012 09:50:26 MST Print View

A cuben MLD Superfly. Did I only dream that Ron said one was coming this year?

Dick Beamish
(dbeamish) - M

Locale: Tennessee
My Temptations on 02/24/2012 09:59:13 MST Print View

Retire mid Aug so I can do the PCT next year with grandson
Kkatabaticgear swatch quilt or Zpacks sleeping bag with 2 - 3 oz overfill
Cuben fiber shelter - still researching
McHale Pack - really don't need one.