Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Balloon Parents-Great moments in parenting
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Balloon Parents-Great moments in parenting on 02/23/2012 16:00:04 MST Print View

Rather than post on hunting/climatechange/politics thought I would pass on what my
10 year old said today.

He explained that he does not care for parents who hover too close
and do everything for their kids.

Wife said, "Oh, helicopter parents. Are we helicopter parents?"

He replied, "No, you're balloon chasers, racing along behind, giving me
what I need, while I fly free and explore."

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Balloon Parents on 02/23/2012 16:39:14 MST Print View

That is a very under-rated skill in a parent. As my kids have moved into teen years, I am really glad I have given them the ability to make mistakes while we are still here to back them up if needed.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Balloon Parents-Great moments in parenting on 02/23/2012 16:48:14 MST Print View

Thanks for sharing David - this is a hard thing to do with your children. I struggle on a daily basis.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Balloon Parents-Great moments in parenting on 02/23/2012 16:55:40 MST Print View

David, funny that you just posted this-

Here is a quote from the article I wrote this week here at BPL What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking: Part 2

get involved in their life. Basically that means “to be there,” not as a hovercraft, but as an observation balloon. I have never heard a retired parent say “I should have spent more time at the office.” Business can wait, kids don’t

This is a very hard skill to learn but one of the most beneficial to all involved.

Edited by bestbuilder on 02/23/2012 16:58:04 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Balloon Parents-Great moments in parenting on 02/23/2012 20:51:11 MST Print View

David,
I bet that was extremely satisfying to hear coming from the mouth of your 10 year old. He actually complimented you twice with that statement. Once with the words that acknowledge and appreciate your positive role in his life, and once by demonstrating at a young age his ability to understand one of the true functions of parenting and expressing it articulately with metaphors.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Balloon Parents-Great moments in parenting on 02/23/2012 22:06:57 MST Print View

"this is a hard thing to do with your children. I struggle on a daily basis."

+1

It IS a hard thing. For me, the struggle comes in having consistency in my actions & words.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Photo of balloon parent on 02/27/2012 09:49:34 MST Print View

I just found this photo.balloon parent