Forum Index » GEAR » Zpacks vs MLD vs GG cuben fiber dry bags

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Smith
(DCSmith)
Medium Plus on 02/25/2012 19:43:59 MST Print View

I got my 40 deg EE quilt properly stuffed in my Zpacks Medium stuff sack. However, I recommend the MEDIUM PLUS to give yourself a touch more room and less effort getting it into the stuff sack.

Andrew Jennings
(breaktheshoal) - MLife

Locale: West of the Mississippi
Stuff Sack for EE Rev X on 02/27/2012 10:17:17 MST Print View

Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered a 6' Wide Reg, 40 degree as well so I think I'll go with the Medium-Plus... How are you liking the quilt? Having never used one before I thought the Rev X was at a price point where I could afford to roll the dice. Judging by the comments in Gear Deals I think I'm in for a treat, but was curious how you're liking it.

Thanks again!

John Hillyer
(TrNameLucky) - MLife
Re: velcro on 05/26/2013 22:21:13 MDT Print View

"velcro on 02/23/2012 11:22:17 MST
makes it easier to get the top lined up before rolling. Doesn't add to or detract from the seal, which is created by the several rolls. Careful use makes velcro unnecessary. I have both MLD and zpacks drybags. All good."

I beg to differ. The Velcro absolutely detracts from the seam seal. Last year I used all sea to summit ultra sil-nylon dry bags: there is a curved peace of plastic inside one side of the top and nothing but fabric on the other. This year I used all ZPacks dry bags (all different sizes including the Blast food bag) except for one of the old sea to summit bags. Whatever air you don't push out of the sea to summit bags, once you roll the top twice, your stuck with. i.e. it seals completely. Not so with the ZPacks dry bags. It does not matter if you have rolled the top 10 times; if there is extra air in the bag just squeeze it an the air escapes. The air comes out the sides on top where the Velcro fastens together.

Edited by TrNameLucky on 05/26/2013 22:25:03 MDT.

Drew Jay
(drewjh) - F

Locale: Central Coast
Dry bag for Enlightened equipment on 05/27/2013 01:44:10 MDT Print View

I have an Enlightened Equipment RevX 20 degree long extra wide and it fits in the Zpacks medium+ dry bag with a ton of room to spare, I think it would fit fine in the medium.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Zpacks vs MLD vs GG cuben fiber dry bags on 05/27/2013 02:08:37 MDT Print View

My experience with Zpacks dry bags is the same as Johns. I wouldn't trust them for full submersion and use sea summit ultra sil bags most of the time.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Zpacks vs MLD vs GG cuben fiber dry bags on 05/27/2013 03:11:44 MDT Print View

I have various sizes of dry bags from Granite Gear, Sea to Summit and ZPacks.

The Zpacks works well and the seams are taped so you don't have to seam seal it when you get them. The 'black' does not rub off.

I did like my Granite Gear until the one I used for my last trip completely fell apart. It delaminated in long spiral strips. I'm not sure why that happened. it wasn't old or exposed to prolonged heat or sunlight, etc. I may try and return it, but can't sy I'd buy another one given that problem since I only used that sack less than 6 times.

i do like Sea to Summit, but find it a bit more difficult to get the air out than with the ZPacks or other bags with a velcro closure. A little fiddling or inverting it and rolling it up from the bottom rather than rolling the top down fixes this issue.

I know it's extra weight, but I like to keep things organized in my pack. By using dry bags instead of stuff sacks, I can go without a pack liner.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
drybag on 05/27/2013 06:46:45 MDT Print View

If you REALLY need to keep things dry, like lying in several inches of water all day dry, dont be stupid enough to use a cuben bag. They are not real drybags. They dont seal anywhere as good as real drybag with smooth rubber seal with stiffener does.

They work fine for keeping gear dry backpacking though. They are stuffsacks with a fold-down closure. I have some issues with them termed "dry bags" and sold as such, they are not. Anyone buying cuben gear though should be smart enough to know this.

I have several Zpacks, and one MLD.

I much prefer the Zpacks. Its a better made sack by far.

I dont even use the MLD. The buckle was attached to the bag with a strip of cuben tape, which slid and bunched up on the buckle attachement,(who would thing adhesive would soften up when it gets HOT outside ?) but since its sticky, you cant straighten it out. Horrible idea. You can see the "creep" of the tape as well.

Consider what might happen to something like this left out in the sun.

Zpacks has it right. Sew it, seal with tape. These items get a workout stuffing things into them.

Edited by livingontheroad on 05/27/2013 06:54:01 MDT.

Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
MLD - Seat o Summit on 05/27/2013 09:55:33 MDT Print View

I have many Sea to Summit Nano and Ultra sylnylon dry sacs and only 1 MLD cuben dry sac.

I bought the StoS bags of all sizes for a 3 week expedition and about 1/4 of them survived, the rest developed leaks. I like how light they are and very waterproof but have found they only last when stuffed with soft and edgeless contents and handled with great care, i.e. not letting them contact rocky ground and the like. Generally they are not durable enough for me and I now only use them to carry clothes and sleeping bag\quilt, ensuring the and zippers are folded inside the clothes or bag so as to avoid contact with the dry sac.

In contrast to the StoS (and the above post) my lone MLD cuben sac is veritably indestructible. I stuff it with hard and soft objects, pay no attention to where I lay it or how I pack it and it remains perfectly air tight and waterproof. Its a favourite piece of gear.

Again, unlike the post above I find the roll top mechanism very effective and well designed. I also have a MLD cuben\eVent bivy sac and like the dry sac the seams are very well constructed.

Can't speak to the ZPacks as I have none of their gear.

Derrick