Osprey Hornet 46
Display Avatars Sort By:
sandy boyd
(sandylwes) - F

Locale: eastern washington
Osprey Hornet 46 on 02/22/2012 19:40:16 MST Print View

I see the new sizes are out for the Hornet 46, 3 sizes, has anyone had the chance to try them? Wondering how the large might fit a long torso now....

http://www.rei.com/product/828406/osprey-hornet-46-pack

Thanks
sandy

Jason Hortin
(jhortin)

Locale: Chicago
Interesting on 02/23/2012 07:02:45 MST Print View

I had a prototype one in M/L that I got from here and it was still too small in torso length. It would be interesting to see if they 'redesigned' the pack lenghts. I did notice that on Osprey's website, they only listed the two sizes. Are they out of date?

I loved the pack so its something new to think about - thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

Cheers,
Jason

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
torso sizing on 02/23/2012 07:18:34 MST Print View

Jason, what is your torso length in inches?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Osprey Hornet 46 on 02/23/2012 07:47:54 MST Print View

Great news - Osprey listened to the BPL testers.

Yes, 3 sizes. The old M/L is the new medium and the Large is the new size.

Cody Lebow
(CLebow) - F

Locale: Orange County
Foam on 02/23/2012 07:56:34 MST Print View

Anyone know if they added any foam to the hip belt?

Jason Hortin
(jhortin)

Locale: Chicago
Pack/back size on 02/23/2012 18:10:23 MST Print View

@Konrad: My torso is about 20.5" in length, so it looks like the new 'large' would work for me :)

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: new size Osprey Hornet 46 on 06/14/2012 17:46:22 MDT Print View

While preferring grey dyneema for 3 seasons,I bought a Hornet for light winter in the GC (like the SAR red) and tested the new dedicated L size out this past spring. Carries like a typical UL pack but loaded with features, pockets, and a lid that will fit my winter shell.

Add: bought a M/L last year but had to return due to size. The dedicated L solves this problem.

Edited by hknewman on 06/14/2012 17:48:48 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: new size Osprey Hornet 46 on 06/14/2012 20:26:39 MDT Print View

I had one of the prototype M/L's , had to sell it, now have a new one Large and all is good :)

Mike Feldman
(MikeF) - M

Locale: SE USA
Osprey Hornet 46 on 06/15/2012 14:26:23 MDT Print View

I purchased recently a Hornet 46 in large. I have a 21 inch torso and it fit fine. That said it wasnt as comfortable as my Osprey Talon 33, the shoulder straps were a little thin. Therefore I ended up exchanging the Hornet.

Trek Guy
(trek_guy) - M
Hornet 46 and BearVault 450 on 06/17/2012 07:38:21 MDT Print View

Has anyone here tried to fit a BearVault 450 into your Osprey Hornet 46? I'm wondering how well it fits -- compared to say an REI Flash 50 (similar capacity pack).

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Osprey Hornet 46 … no more? on 03/01/2014 10:02:45 MST Print View

Just bumping up an old thread as I noticed the Hornet is no longer on Osprey's US website. I thought the Hornet was a good looking pack but so feature rich, it begged to be overloaded. As a red pack, personally I would have liked a "light winter" version of it with a bigger pack bag (at about 65L), a bigger lid and of course a better frame closer to the body to be more snow friendly. For my three season, I just use roll tops but winter is different.

Never knew what to make of the really lightweight side sleeves in place of water bottle holders. Thoughts?

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Osprey Hornet 46 … no more? on 03/01/2014 10:30:19 MST Print View

sometime after I sold my prototype, I was contacted by an Osprey rep that they now would offer the Hornet in a Large torso, purchased that pack and have been living happily ever after with it

like almost any pack you can overload it, I've found it to perfect for 4-5 days backpacking- keeping the load reasonable being the key

too bad they discontinued it