Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Quilt Baffles

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kirsty McPhail
(bushgirl) - F

Locale: Sydney
Quilt Baffles on 02/22/2012 03:52:03 MST Print View

Hello all,
I'm working on my first adventure into using down. I've bought the thru hiker kit and have read Roger Caffin's fabulous article. I'm a little confused over what is best for working out the baffle height. I'd like the overall loft to be 1.75 inches - so I was going to work out the weight of the down by using the length x width x height / fill power of the down and then add 10%. Question is, if I want an overall loft of 1.75 inches should I make my baffles this size or slightly smaller?

Thanks Kirsty

Hobbes W
(Hobbesatronic) - F

Locale: SoCal
Quilt Baffles on 02/22/2012 08:29:38 MST Print View

I like the way Joe @ Zpacks describes how they calculate both baffle and (over) fill loft:

900 Fill Power down means that one ounce of down should fill up to 900 cubic inches of space. Our 20 degree bag for example has a baffle height of 2.25", however it is filled with a calculated loft height of 2.925" (30% more than the baffle height) to account for any future loft loss. It will also have more than 2.25" loft between baffles. Our 30 degree bag has a baffle height of 1.5" but is filled with a calculated height of 1.95" (30% extra).

Zpacks

Tim @ Enlightened also has a nice chart showing all his size dimensions & (over) fill options:

Enlightened

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: Quilt Baffles on 02/22/2012 08:37:22 MST Print View

I usually cut the baffles to to the baffle height I want. Using up .25 or so on each side shortens them enough to manage the down well (I also usually overstuff ~20-30% over the caculated need).

Edited by brendans on 02/22/2012 08:38:15 MST.

Ivo Vanmontfort
(Ivo) - MLife
baffle height on 02/22/2012 08:43:02 MST Print View

The specs on enlightenedequiment can help you
I think that 1,25 inch is a safe height (it depends a bit on the distance between the baffles and the % overfill)
In my quilt , with a inch 1 baffle height, I measured 45 mm (about 1,75 inch) but in my case with a 100 percent overfill (400 gr down)
In my (flemisch) blog you can see a few photos how I made the baffles
edit: I used a differential cut for the baffles!!

Edited by Ivo on 02/22/2012 08:45:53 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Quilt Baffles on 02/22/2012 10:53:28 MST Print View

What about baffle width?

I have this idea that if, for example, your baffles are 2 inches loft, then the baffle width should be 2 or 3 X - 4 or 6 inches

If you're 1 inch loft, baffle width should be 2 or 3 inches

If you're wider, then thin spots will develop where there's no down

Does anyone have experience with this?

Ivo Vanmontfort
(Ivo) - MLife
baffle width on 02/22/2012 12:45:29 MST Print View

Jerry,
my thoughts (For what it's worth.)
you must not economize on the down
overstuffing avoids this problem partially.
I copy from the manufacturers

Kirsty McPhail
(bushgirl) - F

Locale: Sydney
Quilt Baffles on 02/23/2012 00:11:16 MST Print View

Hi All - thanks for your help this is great. Ivo your quilt looks fantastic