Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ueli Steck's parka, an advance?
Display Avatars Sort By:
ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Ueli Steck's parka, an advance? on 02/21/2012 15:04:13 MST Print View

Is this an advance in parka design and construction?
MH Nilas parka (the Ueli Steck design), $500.00:
- 850 fill down.
- 15 denier AirShield.
- Weight: 22 oz
- Fill Weight: 7.6 oz
MontBell Frost Line parka, $235.00:
- 800 fill power goose down
- 30-denier Ballistic rip-stop nylon shell
- 30-denier Ballistic nylon taffeta lining
- Weight 24.3 oz
- Fill Weight 6.7 oz.
MontBell Frost Smoke parka, $199.00
- 800 fill power goose down
- 15-denier Ballistic Airlight nylon shell & lining
- 40-denier nylon taffeta for reinforcements
- Weight 12.6 oz. (Size M)
- Fill Weight 3.5 oz.

Edited by RobertM2S on 02/22/2012 08:28:20 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Ueli Steck's parka, an advance? on 02/21/2012 15:16:28 MST Print View

Yeah - that is pricey. I wonder what the fill weight is? We would need that to compare apples to apples.

Nicholas Truax
(nicktruax) - F

Locale: Montanada
Nilas fill specs on 02/21/2012 15:19:57 MST Print View

Per email w/ MHW on 02/07/2012 09:15 AM:

Thanks for contacting us. The Nilas Jacket has 215g of 850-fill goose down. I hope this helps to clarify.

Cheers,

Mike
MHW

edit: For comparison sake, I own the MB Frostsmoke and it is not in the same ballpark as the Nilas or the Nilas' competition.

Edited by nicktruax on 02/21/2012 15:24:58 MST.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Parka on 02/21/2012 15:22:55 MST Print View

This is slightly off topic, but it occurs to me: for that price (or cheaper), you could have a 900fp down parka custom made for you by Ben at Goosefeet, and it would have twice the down/shell weight ratio of any of the above parkas.

nanook ofthenorth
(nanookofthenorth) - MLife
... on 02/21/2012 15:27:31 MST Print View

You know, its not like there are really all that many ways to stuff more down in a product for less weight, I'd say any innovation is really in how well its designed for how YOU use the product. With so many 800-900 fill power jackets on the market, I think a lot of the time its comparing apples to apples.
However probably what most excites me about the MHW is the weight, fill, and eVent based shell...!

Edited by nanookofthenorth on 02/21/2012 15:28:01 MST.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
an advance? Pshhhhhhhh. on 02/21/2012 15:52:54 MST Print View

In my opinion...absolutely not....far from it really. And not worth the money either.

Lets compare.

- 850 fill down.
- 15 denier AirShield.
- Fill: 7.58oz
(Nanook, the AirShield™ Elite fabric used on this parka is not eVent...that is their DryQ fabric. AirShield sounds a lot like any wind resistant super breathable fabric being used by most major companies today.)

MEC Reflex (women's medium), $169.00 as of this writing
- 800 fill down
- 15 denier ripstop polyester with DWR treatment.
- Weight: 21.73oz
- Fill: 11.29oz

MEC Reflex (men's version), no longer available on the website anymore, but per previous postings on BPL:
- 800 fill down
- 15 denier ripstop polyester with DWR treatment.
- Weight: 26oz
- Fill: 14 oz

The difference between 800 and 850 down is negligible IMO.

Revolutionary my Azz :D

On another note, I've been meaning to post about some awesome purchases I picked up from MEC recently...well worth the $19 shipping to the states and $5 mandatory membership fee. In general, the company and their house-label products blow REI out of the water (closest comparison). Awesome products with extreme value, and often underpriced. Oh Canada!

Edited by Konrad1013 on 02/21/2012 16:07:53 MST.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: an advance? Pshhhhhhhh. on 02/21/2012 16:02:11 MST Print View

Which would you rather have?

- 850 fill down.
- 15 denier AirShield.
- Fill: 7.58oz

Rab Infinity Parka, $300.00:
- 850 fill down.
- Pertex® Quantum 10D
- Weight: 16oz
- Fill: 7.41oz

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: Re: an advance? Pshhhhhhhh. on 02/21/2012 16:04:10 MST Print View

ooh good find Bradford!

Somewhere out there, a Columbia/MHW design and marketing team is reading this post and weeping.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: an advance? Pshhhhhhhh. on 02/21/2012 16:29:13 MST Print View

Attach a name to a product and it automatically becomes better than the competition. Slap a high price tag on it and it MUST be better because it's more expensive!

High price + Name = Super Awesome And the Holy Grail of Any Related Product. It is, by far, the best product in the history of the universe.

Meh.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: an advance? Pshhhhhhhh. on 02/21/2012 16:45:43 MST Print View

Damn it Travis! Meh yourself, because I've got plans to release a $750 750-fill power down banana hammock..."Konrad Chen" platinum edition of course. Only the highest quality Hungarian geese will touch these nether regions

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Re: an advance? Pshhhhhhhh. on 02/21/2012 17:03:20 MST Print View

Lets compare apples to apples folks...the Nilas is baffle construction which does make a noticeable difference in warmth compared to sewn thru.

That said, here's some of what I found in my searches for a deep winter parka...

Rab Neutrino, $300
-800fp
-30D Pertex Endurance
-Weight: 22 oz
-Fill: 7.94 oz
(More durable shell and $200 cheaper from one of the best manufacturers around)

Rab Neutrino Plus, $375
-800fp
-30D Pertex Endurance
-Weight: 27 oz
-Weight: 10 oz!
(better shell, $125 cheaper, MUCH warmer)

Montbell Permafrost, $350
-800fp
-15D Windstopper (with 30D reinforcements)
-Weight: 26.0 oz
-Fill: 9oz
(reinforcement patches. WELDED seams with windstopper makes shell virtually waterproof, fully windproof)

Montbell Frost line is posted above, the frost smoke is sewn through so not a fair comparison.

Feathered Friends Hooded Helios, $300 SEWN THRU CONSTRUCTION, but worth mentioning based on high fill weight
-850+fp
-Pertex Endurance
-Weight: 16.8oz
-Fill 9 oz
(Only draw back is no zippers on front pockets, which design wise for me a no-win situation, and sewn through)

FF Volant Hooded, $390
-850+fp
-Pertex Endurance
-Weight: 26.1oz
-Fill: 11.5oz
(Still no zippers on pockets!)

Western Mountaineering Ion Parka, $440
-850+fp
-Windstopper
-Weight: 25 oz
-Fill: 8oz
(Few seams on shell making near water proof, though less so than MB's, pricey, not baffled but 3layer design with same warmth?)

Nunatak Skaha Plus w/pockets, $450 +2oz overfill option
-850+fp
-Pertex .8
-Weight ~16oz (listed as 11oz in large but notorious for being "optimistic". Usually add 2-3oz on top of any overfill).
-Fill: 7.5 oz (5.5 + 2 oz overfill option).
(Very good weight/fill ratio, but mislisted weights troublesome. Pricey)

For my money I still lean to the Rab jackets, especially since you can often find them on clearance.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Sewn through vs Baffled on 02/21/2012 17:18:34 MST Print View

Dustin, im not sure if you comment was addressed to me or others, but the MEC jackets I alluded too both utilize baffle construction, so comparison is still fair.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Pshhhhhhhh......LOL! on 02/21/2012 17:25:12 MST Print View

Lol, Konrad!

You'd have warmest, most premium equipment for your, um, 'equipment', that money could buy!

I'll take two!

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: Reflex on 02/21/2012 20:14:35 MST Print View

I hope the Reflex hasn't gone away for good. I couldn't ask for more in a coat for serious cold and UL backcountry travel.

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
appreciate on 02/21/2012 20:57:30 MST Print View

i am kind of glad MH is trying to get into the lightweight realm again...

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Sewn through vs Baffled on 02/21/2012 22:41:18 MST Print View

Konrad, it was more towards the Rab infinity and MB Frostsmoke. I just wanted to clarify since sewn thru is usually much cheaper than baffled due to construction costs (and subsequently you get lighter but less insulating jacket for the down used).

If the reflex was still available for men I would have probably mentioned it too. Shame, I actually would have picked one up. Even not on sale the women's runs for a bit under $300 which is a pretty good deal compared to competitors. I'm sure I also left off some other quality entries but these were the ones I'm most familiar with from my research for a possible future trip (I've no pressing need for 7+oz down jackets where I live). From what I've read and my own experiences with down pretty much the two major contributing factors for warmth are amount of fill and sewn vs box baffled. Everything else is just "features" that either negatively or positively affect weight and buyer attraction.

So for this class of jacket we're looking at $300-$350 from big brand names being norm, with some $400+ garments from smaller shops. Anything in the $500 range is generally heavier but with considerably more high quality down and suitable for Everest or Polar expeditions...So yeah MH definitely missed the mark and are charging people for Ueli Steck's stamp of approval (which if he wasn't sponsored by MH and could afford it, he'd probaly grab a Rab or something comparable like most every body else that doesn't have a sponsorship).

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Mec on 02/23/2012 19:47:21 MST Print View

Chances are that a new reflex will come out ... Mec is revamping a lot of its clothing line with new styling an colours

I posted up awhile back on the reflex, merino hoodies, r1 copies, etc on clearance

The new make gear has the same value, better styling, and keeping more inline with what other manufacturers are doing

As an example i tried on the new granitic softshell pants ... They are basically a bagier version of my dead bird gamma lts for ~55$ ... they looke just like yr normal dress pants to boot so you can wear em to work

My only complaint is that mec still doesnt address the short azn market ... There are alot of us in vancouver

I may need to crossdress in the women sizes ;)

Edited by bearbreeder on 02/23/2012 20:15:55 MST.

wander lust
(sol)
Re: Mec on 02/23/2012 22:11:35 MST Print View

yeah mec does good stuff for a good price. their customer service is great as well.

OT
"I may need to crossdress in the women sizes ;)"
And then hang out on Davie Street? just kidding