Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Foot balm highlighted at Campmor to reduce aftermath of wet feet on 04/02/2012 20:06:15 MDT Print View

"I bought a wholesale quantity recently and just started selling it on my website, since distribution is not very good. It's $12 with free shipping; CONUS locations only for now."

Doh! Wish I knew that a few days ago before I paid $12 + $6 shipping directly from Bonnie's. Oh well, at least shipping was quick!

Ryan

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: Re: Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics on 04/02/2012 20:42:21 MDT Print View

Andrew the amount of support from family and friends was impressive. I knew you were from around here just not RIGHT there haha.

We both enjoyed the slideshow a lot. My dad's brain will probably hurt for a while thinking about the logistics/planning of it.

i meant to ask what your main choices for "just add water" dinners were.

Jake

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics on 04/02/2012 20:45:16 MDT Print View

Jake -

Thanks for coming to the show. It was a bit crazy with so many people I knew there -- getting pulled over the place to say hi to them all.

Re dinners...boil water, than add instant rice, potatoes, beans, couscous, ramen, angel hair pasta, etc. Flavor with butter, cheese and spices.

Andrew

Greg Pehrson
(GregPehrson) - MLife

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
on the home front on 04/03/2012 06:10:03 MDT Print View

I had the pleasure of attending Andrew's Alaska presentation on his home turf/ old stomping grounds last night. It created a great atmosphere to see such support from his community there--his parents, middle and high school teachers, neighbors. You could feel the love for Andrew in the room. The age of the audience was impressive: from 7 to 90, including a bunch of young people there with their parents. I sat with Steve, another BPLer, who was the first person to arrive, and who had staked out a front row seat.

The trip reports are my favorite part of BPL and this was one inspiring and masterful trip report. Beautiful scenic photos were paired with video clips of Andrew narrating his experiences and emotions, from a scary/ funny bear encounter to a moving moment of deep connection with big wilderness. He had no problem expressing his vulnerability and emotional range, from elation to anxiety to "feeling hosed." To say his accomplishment is impressive is an understatement, yet rather than using it for an ego trip, bragging rights, or a "conquering the wild" attitude, Andrew reflects on the journey with deep humility and awe for the grandeur of the world and the opportunity for profound connection. This attitude was so refreshing, such good life-orientation modeling for the young (and the rest of us!) in the audience.
I almost brought my cat food can stove for him to sign, but got a book instead, which is densely packed with info and kept me reading late into the night.
Thanks Andrew.
-Greg

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Skurka Authors@Google clinic on 04/05/2012 18:58:52 MDT Print View

In March I spoke at Google's campus in Mountain View.

The recording just went live today. The link is below, but *please* still come out to see one of my remaining slideshows or clinics. I'm in the Midwest tomorrow through next weekend. Then the Northwest. Then Colorado. Then Minneapolis to finish, kind of.

All event details

The video: http://youtu.be/FGQTcQhL08A

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Skurka Authors@Google clinic on 04/05/2012 20:40:14 MDT Print View

You would figure Google would have been....a lot nicer looking on the inside. Maybe you should schedule a presentation at Apple. =)

Samuel Kau
(Skau)

Locale: Southern California
Re: Skurka Authors@Google clinic on 04/06/2012 13:49:28 MDT Print View

Thanks so much for putting a video of your presentation for the people who could not make it to your events! With you having no events schedules in southern california, I was bummed but now I get to see it! Any chance you would have a video online about your other presentation? thanks

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Re: Re: Skurka Authors@Google clinic on 04/07/2012 11:46:19 MDT Print View

National Geographic recorded one of my earlier Alaska-Yukon slideshows. You can watch it here: http://andrewskurka.com/slideshows-clinics/national-geographic-live/

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Skurka clinic & slideshows in Midwest this week on 04/09/2012 07:13:20 MDT Print View

Events this week:

* Fin and Feather, Iowa City, IA
* Fontana Sports, Madison, WI
* Western Michigan Univ
* Kalamazoo College
* Lee's Adventure Sports, Portage, MI

Next week: Seattle, Bellingham, and Portland
Week after that: Colorado Front Range

All event details:

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Skurka's Shows on 04/09/2012 12:56:02 MDT Print View

I watched the google talk. Good content. The categorization of all hikers other than 20+ milers/day that don't sleep in established campsites as ultimate campers (or other) is disappointing and should be dropped from talks. It can only really come across as condescending, to me anyway.

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Re: Re: Re: Skurka's Shows on 04/09/2012 15:35:22 MDT Print View

John -

The Ultimate Hiker/Ultimate Camper spectrum is meant to help audience members consider their backpacking objectives and how their gear, supplies and skills should follow suit. I don't really care why people go out backpacking -- I'm happy whenever someone gets out there -- but I do hope that they carry the right stuff on their back and between their ears so that they can have a successful trip. These profiles are extremes, not one or the other; most backpackers will find a happy-medium somewhere between the two ends of the spectrum, incorporating some of what they learn from the clinic into their normal routine, which is probably more Ultimate Camper-ish or Camper-by-Default-ish.

Personally, I find these profiles significantly more relateable than the "traditional," "lightweight," and "ultralight" categories that are more commonly used. Backpackers don't pack less/lighter/smarter to achieve the title of a "lightweight backpacker." They pack less/lighter/smarter to enhance their hiking experience, regardless of whether they like to go short, long, slow, or fast. There's much more to being an excellent hiker besides a lightweight pack, and the emphasis on "weight" in UL and LW misses this important piece. Whereas the Ultimate Hiker profile can encompass the optimum balance of weight, durability, comfort, reliability, and efficiency, plus the reliance on skills to supplement gear/supplies.

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Skurka in Kalamazoo, Seattle, Bellingham, & Hood River on 04/12/2012 11:27:07 MDT Print View

The end of my Spring speaking/book tour is in sight. It's been a fun few weeks -- the closest thing I'll ever experience to being a rock star.

Tonight, April 12 I'm in Madison.

Friday and Saturday, April 13 & 14
Western Michigan Univ
Kalamazoo College
Lee's Adventure Sports

Monday & Wednesday, April 16 & 18
The Mountaineers
Seattle, WA

Tuesday & Thursday, April 17 & 19
Mt Baker Theatre
Bellingham, WA
In conjunction with Tmber.com

Saturday, April 21
Columbia Center for the Arts
Hood River, WA

All event details: http://andrewskurka.com/slideshows-clinics/current-schedule/

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Re: Skurka in Kalamazoo, Seattle, Bellingham, & Hood River on 04/16/2012 15:58:16 MDT Print View

Have landed in Seattle. Overcast, no surprise.

Ticket sales have been strong for The Mountaineers event tonight and Wednesday. See some of you there, I'm sure.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
This should be on the must see list on 04/17/2012 15:35:59 MDT Print View

I attended Andrew's presentation tonight and I wish I would have brought the whole family. This would have been the perfect family movie night.
If you live anywhere close to where he will be presenting I strongly suggest spending the two hour presentation.
This isn't a trip that I will ever be able to do (made other choices in life) but deep inside it is something I've always wanted to do and exactly where I would want to do it. I was able to live the trip vicariously through Andrew.

The presentation was casual and informal yet informational enough to capture my interest, causing me to want more at the break and end.

Great job, hope to see more of these in the future.

Tad

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
Great Presentation in Seattle on 04/18/2012 09:54:33 MDT Print View

I also attended his presentation Monday the 17th in Seattle. I introduced myself before the show and thanked him on behalf of the BPL family for joining us in this blog and many others on this site.
He had a great turnout. What an unbelievable journey this man has gone on. His slides were fantastic. I enjoyed that he slipped in some time to talk about finding the route he took thru Alaska......6 months of looking over maps.
Talk about running into bears....he did and has the pictures to show.
Unbelievable man living an unbelievable life!

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Great Presentation in Seattle on 04/22/2012 00:58:02 MDT Print View

It was great to see Andrew in Seattle! Both presentations were excellent but I agree with Tad- I wish I had invited my whole family to learn about his amazing Alaska Yukon Expedition.

Thanks for the inspiration Andy! Tonight's bedtime story with Henry (age 5) was about a hike to the origin of a river high in the Cascades...and I think this will surely be one of our summer adventures. Thanks for getting me thinking about real ADVENTURES again!

Best wishes as you head home to Colorado-
Doug

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Skurka's events this week in Colorado and MSP on 04/22/2012 23:26:32 MDT Print View

I'm back in Colorado now, but the events continue. This week:

Tuesday, April 24
GoLite
Colorado Springs, CO

Wednesday, April 25
Colorado Mountain Club
Golden, CO

Thursday, April 26
Neptune Mountaineering
Boulder, CO

Saturday, April 28
Midwest Mountaineering Expo
Minneapolis, MN

All event details are available at: andrewskurka.com/slideshows-clinics/current-schedule

Steven Killion
(blendedfrog) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Skurka in Seattle on 04/23/2012 00:47:47 MDT Print View

I attended both Andy's talks while he was in Seattle. It was a pleasure to meet both him and Doug at the events. Inspiring presentation of the Alaska/Yukon trip. I wish there had been more time to discuss hiking efficiencies and some advanced concepts/techniques at Wednesday's clinic but there was not enough time. Best regards to Andy in future endeavors. -Steven