Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics

Display Avatars Sort By:
Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics on 02/21/2012 13:51:01 MST Print View

I'm giving 43+ slideshows and clinics this Spring, starting in the Bay Area during the week of March 5-10. It'd be great to see some BPL'ers at some of them. If you make it, please say hello.

The slideshow recounts my 4,700-mile 6-month Alaska-Yukon Expedition. Great photos, entertaining video clips, and a few good stories. The clinic focuses on backpacking, gear, supplies and skills. Not many stories, but great how-to information. I'll be selling and signing books at all events.

Google Map of all events

Listing of all events, below. For more details, go to: http://andrewskurka.com/slideshows-clinics/current-schedule

Google – Authors@Google (private)
Monday, March 5
Mountain View, CA

Sunrise Mountain Sports
Monday-Tuesday, March 5-6
Livermore, CA

Heartflow (private)
Wednesday, March 7
Redwood City, CA 94063

Sports Basement – Bryant Street
Wednesday-Thursday, March 7-8
San Francisco, CA

Quest Outdoors
Monday-Tuesday, March 12-13
Louisville, KY

Bill Jackson’s
Wednesday-Thursday, March 14-15
Pinellas Park, FL

Pack & Paddle
Friday-Saturday, March 16-17
Lafayette, LA

River Sports Outfitters
Monday-Tuesday, March 19-20
Knoxville, TN

Nantahala Outdoor Center
Wednesday-Thursday, March 21-22
Asheville, NC

Forsyth Country Day
Friday, March 23 (private)
Winston-Salem, NC 27103

Great Outdoor Provision Co and Summit School
Saturday, March 24
Winston-Salem, NC

Washington & Lee University
Wednesday-Thursday, March 28-29
Lexington, VA

Campmor
Friday-Saturday, March 30-31
Paramus, New Jersey 07652

Seekonk High School
Monday, April 2
Seekonk, MA

BSA Troop 77 and Innovation Academy Charter School
Wednesday, April 4
Tyngsboro, MA

The Alpine Shop
Friday-Saturday, April 6-7
Kirkwood, MO 63122

Fin & Feather
Monday-Tuesday, April 9-10
Iowa City, IA 52246

Kalamazoo College
Saturday, April 14
Kalamazoo, MI

Lee’s Adventure Sports
Saturday, April 14
Portage, MI 49002

The Mountaineers
Monday & Wednesday, April 16 & 18
Seattle, WA 98115

Mt. Baker Theatre
Tuesday & Thursday, April 17 & 19
Bellingham, WA

Columbia Center for the Arts
Saturday, April 21
Hood River, OR 97031

GoLite – Colorado Springs
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO

Colorado Mountain Club
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Golden, CO 80401

Neptune Mountaineering
Thursday, April 26, 2012
Boulder, CO

Midwest Mountaineering Expo
Saturday, April 28
Minneapolis, MN

GoLite – Boulder
Thursday, May 31, 2012
Boulder, CO

Dan Johnson
(Seattle)

Locale: PNW
Re: Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics on 02/21/2012 14:26:58 MST Print View

Good to see Bellingham, WA getting some love! I'll see you there Andrew!

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Maybe VA on 02/21/2012 19:54:56 MST Print View

I might be coming through VA in late spring to see family so hopefully I can make Lexington. I'll have to bring my little brother with me.

Loved the book by the way.

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Re: Maybe VA on 02/21/2012 21:42:45 MST Print View

Luke - That'd be great. As an extra incentive, rumor has it that Ron Bell will also be there.

You must be a fast reader, or it's a really good book. I've heard from a few people who have read it twice already.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics" on 02/21/2012 21:47:05 MST Print View

No love for NM. I don't blame you, our local Mexican food would make it impossible for you to ever hike again.

Nick E.
(trAletrasch) - F

Locale: PNW
seattle on 02/21/2012 21:48:43 MST Print View

cant wait!! i'll definantly be there on april 16th, this is really really exciting.

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Re: seattle on 02/21/2012 21:52:42 MST Print View

Nick -

I'm actually giving two events in Seattle, which is the case with most places I'm going to. Monday I'm giving my Alaska-Yukon slideshow. Wednesday I'm giving my gear & skills clinic.

You can pre-purchase tickets to one or events here: http://andrewskurka.com/product-category/event-tickets/

Andrew

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Skurka's upcoming slide shows & clinics on 02/21/2012 22:00:20 MST Print View

I should get my book any day now and looking forward to the Livermore clinic and slide show on March 5TH & 6TH.

Edited by Creachen on 02/21/2012 22:06:49 MST.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics on 02/21/2012 22:07:53 MST Print View

Unfortunately, Portland, OR and is being essentially skipped. Hood River is a solid hour's drive from Portland and only one of the two seminars is being held. It's hard to imagine not being able to arrange a site in Portland. The mind begs the question why you'd site it so far from a major hiking center.

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Re: Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics on 02/21/2012 22:12:58 MST Print View

Bob -

I'm totally with you, but Next Adventure declined my offer, the REI stores don't make it worth my while, and the week got filled by events in Seattle, Bellingham and Hood River. I haven't pursued another venue in Portland, and I'm kind of looking forward to having that Friday off. Any ideas for when I cruise through next time?

Andrew

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics on 02/21/2012 22:13:23 MST Print View

Nevermind. Found it.

Edited by reacttocontact on 02/21/2012 22:14:15 MST.

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Re: Re: Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics on 02/21/2012 22:14:57 MST Print View

The Boulder event was rescheduled to Saturday, March 10. Apparently there have been some construction hang-ups with the new store and they had to push the opening date back.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re Maybe VA on 02/21/2012 22:15:14 MST Print View

Haha Andy it was a good book and I read fast. I've probably read it two or three times for all practical purposes. Once through and than back to re read certain parts. Very handy in boring classes:)
Hope you can meet my little brother, he hiked like a little thru hiker when he was 10.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Why not Texas on 02/21/2012 22:17:15 MST Print View

Have you ever considered Texas? Its not a supper outdoor spot but it seems half of Texas migrates north to Colorado every summer.

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Re: Why not Texas on 02/21/2012 22:24:59 MST Print View

It was a low-hanging fruit situation -- I got some great leads in FL and LA (and later KY) so that is where I focused my attention.

Part of the challenge in scheduling these events was finding venues that fit some key criteria:
1- They were willing to pay me, and/or give me a share of the door and/or book sales. (Hey, traveling all over the country isn't cheap or easy, and there's no sponsor behind this tour.)
2- They had to be able to generate a good turnout.
3- They had to be able to make a decision.

I don't know the retail scene very well in Texas, but I've presented at Backwoods before and generally the chains are tough to work with, for one or more of the reasons listed above. I had much more luck with smaller stores (e.g. Campmor and Sunrise Mountain Sports) and autonomous outdoor groups (e.g. The Mountaineers, BSA troops).

Which stores should I contact in Texas if I do something like this again?

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Why not Texas? on 02/22/2012 08:19:28 MST Print View

Andrew,

REI in Dallas has decent presentation facilities and a good "membership" - folks who regularly turn out for this sort of thing (although from your post you may already have tried them). With some advance notice I might be able to arrange something at Schreiner University, in Kerrville (Hill Country, not too far from San Antonio). Has an active outdoor club, and a friend of mine and I send a group to do trail maintenance in Montana every summer.

Terrific book, by the way. Congratulations on an excellent job.

Richard

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Re: Why not Texas? on 02/22/2012 08:54:42 MST Print View

Richard - If you want to put me in touch with your friend, I'd be happy to talk with him. University outing clubs are perfect for these events.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics on 02/22/2012 13:13:10 MST Print View

Andrew,

Just wanted to say that I am looking forward to seeing your presentations at Sunrise Mountain Sports in Livermore, CA. and to buy your book.

I was meaning to buy your book from your website, but since you are going to have them with you, makes it all the easier.

As an interesting side note: two of my bivy/shelter photos are in your book.

I was contacted by a representative from Nat Geo a few month ago saying that she had seen some of the photos I have posted on BPL and wanted to use them for an unnamed book. To my pleasant surprise, they were for your book.

Anyway, looking forward to your visit and meeting you.

-Tony

Andrew Skurka
(askurka) - F
Re: Re: Skurka's upcoming slideshows & clinics on 02/22/2012 13:15:18 MST Print View

I wondered where those photos came from. I knew it was the Sierra but I haven't look at the photo credits. Good shots. Good camp.

See you at Sunrise.

Michael Barber
(CuriousLayman) - F

Locale: Western NC Mountains
Asheville on 02/22/2012 13:21:27 MST Print View

I hope to make it to the Asheville event!