Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Help planning first trip

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Butler
(sherpaxc)
Help planning first trip on 02/21/2012 08:21:35 MST Print View

Hi all,
My wife, my 3 year old son, and myself will be in NC in late June. We'll be camping in our travel trailer for a couple weeks in the Pisgah/Dupont forest. Before our son my wife and I did extensive bicycle touring, bikepacking, and backpacking. We have yet to do any backpacking since our son was born. We'd love to plan a 2 day trip to start. Something that is pretty easy (maybe 3 miles max hiking?) on the kid, and put's us at a nice creek to camp or somewhere with good rocks to explore.

I've got the gear side taken care of for the wife and I, and have a great quilt already made by Tim, but for now I just want to figure out WHERE to go (in the forest we're staying at, or something on the TN side).

Could I get some ideas please? I have no clue on where to start. Thanks all.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
NC on 02/22/2012 18:14:04 MST Print View

I'm not from the NC/TN border area, but have spent a good amount of time there.
I can't recommend specifics, but you should have no problem finding hikes that fit your description.
There is a lot of good hiking there.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Help planning first trip on 02/22/2012 18:31:45 MST Print View

Dupont is closer to the Nantahala NF. The South Mills River area sounds like a pretty good match. Easy walking and you can find large sites by the river within the first couple of miles.