November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Favorite Shelters
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Shane
(drshane) - MLife

Locale: Northwest Wyoming
Favorite Shelters on 02/20/2012 19:00:59 MST Print View

What are your favorite shelters for troop backpacking? Both for patrol sized shelters and "buddy" sized shelters.
From what I have read here, the Black Diamond Betamid looks like a good value as does the Mega Light.

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: Favorite Shelters on 02/20/2012 19:36:41 MST Print View

My troop has used Oware 10' x 10' pyramids for 4 person groups (usually 2 mids per patrol).

We have also used a MLD circus tent for a whole patrol at once.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Favorite Shelters on 02/20/2012 20:56:38 MST Print View

Mark, our troop has a bunch of "Sierra Designs Origami 3" that we use. They are a 3 boy tarp and weigh 2 lbs.
Part 2 of "What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking" will be out on Wednesday, I have a picture of one in the article.

I do like the Oware pyramids also but we received a super deal from SD so we couldn't pass it up.

Mark Shane
(drshane) - MLife

Locale: Northwest Wyoming
Ben, you must have the only one on 02/20/2012 23:30:15 MST Print View

MLD removed the Circus from their offerings saying no one was ordering. You might have the only one. Can I buy it from you? (just kidding...sort of..hahaha)

Dan Smith
Cheap on 02/21/2012 07:56:04 MST Print View

For cheap 1-3 man tents,, I see a lot of alps mountaineering tents. If you purchase through scout, you get some big discounts. the chaos 2 and 3 hold up well in the long term. Not exactly ultralight.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Cheap on 02/21/2012 11:09:03 MST Print View

Dan, Alps does have a good scout discount. Our troop bought a bunch years ago and the tents weighed 10 lbs each. I even discuss this issue in the next article coming out this week here at BPL titled "What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking
Part 2: Clothing, Footwear, Group Gear (Water Treatment, Stoves and Fuel, Shelter)"
Look for the part discussing how to divide up a ten pound tent between four when there is only three parts and one weighs 5 lbs (the tent body).
Hopefully it will be a good read.

You could read Part 1 as a primer

What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking
Part 1: The Lightweight Lesson, Essentials, Backpack, Sleeping Bag and Pad, Personal Kit. Basic training for the beginner and/or young backpacker, with a focus on Scouts

Kai Larson
(KaiLarson) - F
BD Guiding Light on 02/21/2012 13:48:02 MST Print View

Black Diamond Guiding Light.

5 pounds, 6 ounces. Holds 4 or 5 boys. Weatherproof, bugproof.

I've used lighter weight shelters, tarps etc. in the past and haven't been happy with them for scout use.

Having a haven from mosquitoes is key. Also, we often camp high, in places that are exposed to harsh weather. At a little over 1 pound per boy, these tents provide excellent shelter for the weight.

Richard Fischel
Re: BD Guiding Light on 02/22/2012 06:51:20 MST Print View

The guiding light and lighthouse are two of my favorite tents so naturally, they would be the tents bd discontinues. Luckily i have a lighthouse in great shape and i always keep an eye out for a well priced guiding light.

Walter Underwood
(wunder) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Betamid on 03/21/2012 23:29:00 MDT Print View

My son has a Betamid and loves it. He and another six-footer enjoyed it at Philmont.

Look for them to go on sale for about $80 or bite the bullet and pay the full Benjamin. The Betamid is probably the cheapest entry to lightweight. Get ground cloths from Gossamer Gear to go with it.