Forum Index » Backpacking Light with Scouts » Favorite Shelters

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Shane
(drshane) - MLife

Locale: Northwest Wyoming
Favorite Shelters on 02/20/2012 19:00:59 MST Print View

What are your favorite shelters for troop backpacking? Both for patrol sized shelters and "buddy" sized shelters.
From what I have read here, the Black Diamond Betamid looks like a good value as does the Mega Light.

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: Favorite Shelters on 02/20/2012 19:36:41 MST Print View

Mark,

My troop has used Oware 10' x 10' pyramids for 4 person groups (usually 2 mids per patrol).

We have also used a MLD circus tent for a whole patrol at once.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Favorite Shelters on 02/20/2012 20:56:38 MST Print View

Mark, our troop has a bunch of "Sierra Designs Origami 3" that we use. They are a 3 boy tarp and weigh 2 lbs.
Part 2 of "What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking" will be out on Wednesday, I have a picture of one in the article.

I do like the Oware pyramids also but we received a super deal from SD so we couldn't pass it up.

Mark Shane
(drshane) - MLife

Locale: Northwest Wyoming
Ben, you must have the only one on 02/20/2012 23:30:15 MST Print View

MLD removed the Circus from their offerings saying no one was ordering. You might have the only one. Can I buy it from you? (just kidding...sort of..hahaha)

Dan Smith
(DCSmith)
Cheap on 02/21/2012 07:56:04 MST Print View

For cheap 1-3 man tents,, I see a lot of alps mountaineering tents. If you purchase through scout direct.com, you get some big discounts. the chaos 2 and 3 hold up well in the long term. Not exactly ultralight.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Cheap on 02/21/2012 11:09:03 MST Print View

Dan, Alps does have a good scout discount. Our troop bought a bunch years ago and the tents weighed 10 lbs each. I even discuss this issue in the next article coming out this week here at BPL titled "What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking
Part 2: Clothing, Footwear, Group Gear (Water Treatment, Stoves and Fuel, Shelter)"
Look for the part discussing how to divide up a ten pound tent between four when there is only three parts and one weighs 5 lbs (the tent body).
Hopefully it will be a good read.

You could read Part 1 as a primer

What a Beginner Needs for Backpacking
Part 1: The Lightweight Lesson, Essentials, Backpack, Sleeping Bag and Pad, Personal Kit. Basic training for the beginner and/or young backpacker, with a focus on Scouts

Kai Larson
(KaiLarson) - F
BD Guiding Light on 02/21/2012 13:48:02 MST Print View

Black Diamond Guiding Light.

5 pounds, 6 ounces. Holds 4 or 5 boys. Weatherproof, bugproof.

I've used lighter weight shelters, tarps etc. in the past and haven't been happy with them for scout use.

Having a haven from mosquitoes is key. Also, we often camp high, in places that are exposed to harsh weather. At a little over 1 pound per boy, these tents provide excellent shelter for the weight.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
Re: BD Guiding Light on 02/22/2012 06:51:20 MST Print View

The guiding light and lighthouse are two of my favorite tents so naturally, they would be the tents bd discontinues. Luckily i have a lighthouse in great shape and i always keep an eye out for a well priced guiding light.

Walter Underwood
(wunder) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Betamid on 03/21/2012 23:29:00 MDT Print View

My son has a Betamid and loves it. He and another six-footer enjoyed it at Philmont.

Look for them to go on sale for about $80 or bite the bullet and pay the full Benjamin. The Betamid is probably the cheapest entry to lightweight. Get ground cloths from Gossamer Gear to go with it.