Subscribe Forums Newsletter Facebook Twitter
2012 50L Golite Jam (out of the box)
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
2012 50L Golite Jam (out of the box) on 02/20/2012 17:15:32 MST Print View

2012jam1

We can't just call it the Jam anymore, they're all the Jam, just in three different (35, 50, 70 liter) sizes.

Stock weight of the large 50L is 31 oz (I got this wrong in that other thread). In many/most respects, it's the same as the 2011. Size looks the same, compression system is the same, big rear pocket is similar, etc. Bladder sleeve is now lighter stretch mesh and huge, the size of the whole inside back panel. Side pockets are the same stretch mesh, and seem a bit taller and stretchier than the 2011 ones. Reachable with the pack on, but only just. A few details save a bit of weight over the 2011, for instance the inside of the big pocket is a light ripstop, not the heavier Gridstop. It has load lifters, and softer foam in the shoulder straps. I worry about that, as I really liked the 2011 Jam straps. Center stripe of heavy-guage 3D mesh on the back is the same. Adds weight, but actually allows air circulation, increases traction of the pack and thus improves load carry, and provides some resistance against rubbing the tailbone and vertebrae. Foam framesheet appears to be identical to the 2011.

2012jambelt

The biggest difference is the hipbelt. Much wider and longer than the previous version, with similar foam to the straps, which seems resilient but is quite a bit more flexible than the 2011 foam. The pockets are huge, with the lower part being the same stretch mesh as the side pockets, and the gussets being substantial. They'll hold lots, even with the pack on.

2012jambelt2

I predict a lot of folks are going to like this belt a lot. But some folks, namely those much skinnier than me (32" jeans) with long torsos, are not going to be able to use this pack. As you can see, I have about 1.5" of slack left in the belt. I do tend to where by belt higher than many, however.

Time will tell. In any case, Golite is not resting on their laurels, and easy though it may be to snipe about GoHeavy, the jam remains a solid option. It unites value, durability, and a sensible and versatile feature set in a way which no other commercially available pack does.

Edited by DaveC on 02/20/2012 17:19:25 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
jammed on 02/20/2012 17:35:54 MST Print View

Thanks for geeking out on gear lately Dave, cool seeing new pack options for folks. I was never crazy about the 2010 belt and the small hipbelt pockets, but the new wider version does look comfortable and generous. I am one of those long torso'd 32" waist folks, so probably SOL in picking one up if your experience has the belt maxed out.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: 2012 Jam belt on 02/20/2012 17:51:46 MST Print View

It fits me just fine. It probably won't fit my wife, which is a bummer as (with almost identical torso lengths) we can usually wear the same packs.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
2012 Jam on 02/20/2012 18:24:07 MST Print View

Looks good. I'm interested to hear what you have to say about how it carries. I likely only have one more season left in my old model Jam.

Thanks for all the testing you've been doing, I've always appreciated the field usage criteria you try and stick to.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
70L Jam on 02/20/2012 19:18:57 MST Print View

Are they doing away with the Pinnacles? Don't see the need for both since they looked nearly the same to start.

Edit: Nevermind, I saw in the other thread that Pinnacles are indeed discontinued.

Edited by topshot on 02/20/2012 19:34:01 MST.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: 2012 Jam on 02/26/2012 22:39:21 MST Print View

After using it a time or two, I have to report that it carries, like a Jam. Supports the load just fine, hugs the body exceptionally well, just disappears during ski-bushwacking and other shenanigans. I'll repeat: a lot of people are going to really like the new belt design. The pockets are great; each will hold four snickers and a pair of powerstretch gloves without causing pressure points. And the zips are easy to use with one hand.

I can't confirm the rumor that this will be 100 bucks at retail, but that would be exciting.

Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Damn on 02/26/2012 22:44:23 MST Print View

That belt is huge. I'm 6'4" 32" waist and there's no way that would fit. Oh well.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: 2012 50L Golite Jam (out of the box) on 02/26/2012 23:06:26 MST Print View

35 liter jam? Are the hip belts the same on the 35? If so, I will replace my peak. The belt on the peak is horrendous.
However, I am a 30 inch waist. Do they have small sizes or am I screwed? I would remove those hip belt pockets anyways so does it really matter?
How did you get this.... did golite send it to you for review?

Edited by justin_baker on 02/26/2012 23:07:42 MST.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: 2012 GoLite packs on 02/27/2012 08:27:09 MST Print View

This pack was sent for a review.

As for belt sizing, I do not know. I would assume they'd adjust for sizing; a safe bet, but best confirm with GoLite. To inject some objective data here, the belt on this pack has a circumference of 32 inches (when the pack is layed flat and measured end of padding to end of padding.

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

Locale: USA
pad on 03/08/2012 23:21:12 MST Print View

Dave, can you post the weight and dimensions (including thickness & "firmness") of the Jam 50L's removable back pad?

If it makes a reasonably good torso pad for sleeping, I'd count that as dual use weight and deduct it from the overall weight of the pack. Many of the LW/UL packs being compared to the Jam have no back pad.

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

_ on 03/10/2012 11:09:23 MST Print View

I emailed GoLite and they wouldn't tell me the pad's dimensions or weight, though they said it was about 1/8" thick. Anybody got more info? Would a thicker pad fit in the sleeve?

David Vo
(sygyzy)
Re: 2012 50L Golite Jam (out of the box) on 03/10/2012 11:53:55 MST Print View

"I predict a lot of folks are going to like this belt a lot. But some folks, namely those much skinnier than me (32" jeans) with long torsos, are not going to be able to use this pack. As you can see, I have about 1.5" of slack left in the belt. I do tend to where by belt higher than many, however."

Confused here. From the picture it looks like you have over six inches of slack in the belt.

Joshua Gray
(coastalhiker) - MLife
Re: Re: 2012 50L Golite Jam (out of the box) on 03/10/2012 12:16:02 MST Print View

He means the amount of belt left to cinch, not the excess (ie if he were any skinnier, it wouldn't fit him).

David Vo
(sygyzy)
Re: Re: Re: 2012 50L Golite Jam (out of the box) on 03/10/2012 15:52:16 MST Print View

I see now, thanks for explaining.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re; Jam backpad on 03/11/2012 17:21:44 MDT Print View

The new backpad is 1/8" thick, 2 oz exactly, and extremely stiff, dense foam. Earlier I said it was comparable to the 2011 pad, but upon holding them next to each other I retract that. The 2011 is 1/4" thick, and while very dense foam, is still foam. The 2012 pad is as close as foam can get to being a plastic framesheet and still be foam. Pinching it between my fingers leaves no dent whatsoever.

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

_ on 03/11/2012 17:34:28 MDT Print View

Very useful, thank you David. Do you think a softer, perhaps thicker pad would fit in the pad pocket?

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: Jam pad on 03/11/2012 18:56:24 MDT Print View

If you cut the overall down a bit, then yes. The current pad fits very tightly.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: re: Jam pad on 03/12/2012 07:37:15 MDT Print View

how about fitting a pad in the bladder sleeve and leaving the thin oe one alone? I very much like the idea of something closer to a frame sheet vs a thick soft pad, that has to help in the carry department

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Ya on 03/12/2012 21:08:46 MDT Print View

I'd agree. Carry department is good.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: Jam updates on 04/04/2012 15:17:32 MDT Print View

A few notes on the new suspension components after a bit of use, including a recent trip where 3 days of food and 10 liters of water pushed the load pretty close to the packs limit.

The belt is excellent. The softer foam (as compared with '11) hugs the hips very well, and the extra surface contact results in a product which is very comfortable. While I still have a bit of slack left in the belt, even when pulled tight under a heavier load, the adjustment is awkward and less than ideal. I'll likely modify this.

I do think the new shoulder straps are less than ideal. It isn't the thickness of the foam, so much as the extent of the circular perforations (the '11 straps had this too, just must less). The resistance of the padding to loads near the upper end (25+ lbs) is not as good as it should be. I'd encourage Golite to go back to the previous generation.

John Gilbert
(JohnG10) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Jam Questions on 04/04/2012 20:26:38 MDT Print View

How'd the new framesheet hold up to that much weight ? Any less torso collapse than the old foam ?

What the issue was with the new straps ? Did they curve into a tube and cause pressure - or something else ?

Are the hip belt pockets removeable ? The BPL review of the 2010 Peak makes it sound like they might be (if the pockets are the "removeable wings").

Also, any guesses on whether one of the SMD or GG hoop stays would improve the carry with 25-27 lb loads - and fit into the pad pocket ?

Thanks.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: re: 2012 Jam on 04/04/2012 20:57:52 MDT Print View

The straps are (for me) ideally shaped. No deformation or other nonsense. I'd just prefer a little more beef to spread the impact of the weight around.

The belt pockets are not removable (save with scissors).

The Jam carries 30 pounds well, if you pack it well. I'm not sure the newer, thinner yet denser framesheet performs differently than the 2011 one.

A major part of the article I'm working on will test torso collapse with both the stock configuration and other, MYOG solutions, which will include various sorts of stays. It wouldn't be hard to make such a device yourself. For instance, I've laminated an alu stay from the hardwear store between two layers of foam pad, which results in a very useable product at a total cost of perhaps 10 dollars. The dimensions can be tailored to suit.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Cool on 04/04/2012 21:05:16 MDT Print View

You mind taking a photo of that laminated stay and sharing it with us? How much does it weigh? Thanks Dave.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: MYOG framesheets on 04/04/2012 22:59:30 MDT Print View

They don't look like much, just two layers of various sorts of foam (glued with contact cement). The blue CCF from Walmart is cheap and sturdy. I've made several different ones for various packs and projects. Weights vary from 4 to 10 oz based on dimensions, thickness of the foam, and size of the stays.

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: 2012 50L Golite Jam (out of the box) on 04/05/2012 18:53:59 MDT Print View

I'll add this....I went to check out the new Jam's, and I'm not sure I'd want to carry anything over 20# with those shoulder straps.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

re:MYOG Framesets on 04/05/2012 20:45:40 MDT Print View

Dave,

I was just hoping to get a look at how you shaped them. That's all.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: stays and buckles on 04/05/2012 22:23:21 MDT Print View

packstay

This is a framesheet/stay combo I've been using in the Mountain Hardwear Thruway. 24" tall, 10" wide at the top, perhaps 11.5" at the bottom. Full 1" thick foam with a fairly large stay in the middle (can't recall the exact dimensions). 11 oz, but very supportive. The ends of the foam come together in the middle, and are covered by duct tape. After the cement cures I cut them down to size, then bend the stay to shape over my knee. Integrating a doubled or tripled packcloth pocket over each end of the stay is crucial to keep in from wearing through the foam.

jambuckle

Jam hipbelt modified with a 3/4" alu buckle from a Sea to Summit strap. I just did this today, but have used the other from the pair on another pack long enough to be confident it will do the job. Gives a greater range of easier adjustment and is easier to use. Saves a small amount of weight over the 1.5" plastic job.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Thank you on 04/05/2012 23:33:04 MDT Print View

Dave, just what I was looking for. I bet a few others were too. Thanks again.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

So? on 04/06/2012 21:05:32 MDT Print View

Did you use a piece of wide flat aluminum between two pieces of blue foam?

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: Jam details on 04/15/2012 08:24:12 MDT Print View

Warren, I usually just use a aluminum stay from the hardware store. The one in the example pictured is something like 20mm wide by 3mm thick.

The belt mod above works well. I did find it slipped a hair weekend before last when I had the pack jammed full with 30+ pounds of rafting and skiing stuff. I added a bead of aquaseal to both sides of the webbing, which sorted that out nicely.

The other issue I discovered, which is seriously annoying, is that the top strap is just barely long enough to clip when the pack is totally full. No ability to (for instance) strap a foam mat on top when the pack is near or at capacity. I'll fix this when I get some more 1/2" webbing, but IMO a big oversight on Golite's part.

Daniel Cox
(COHiker) - F

Locale: San Isabel NF
Framesheet on 04/15/2012 21:11:22 MDT Print View

Curious to see what exactly the foam framesheet was doing for me, I pulled it out. Previously I was folding my BA insulated Air Core in thirds widthwise (two chambers wide) and then in quarter lengthwise and sliding it into the hydration sleeve to supplement the back. Turns out that folded the same way, it fits into the framesheet sleeve perfectly. I took it on a morning hike loaded with about 24-25 pounds to see what it felt like compared to the break-in hikes I did with the framesheet installed.

Long story short: I couldn't really tell a difference. I'm sure it could get pretty uncomfortable if carelessly packed, or heavy enough to sag and buckle the folded mat, but I doubt it's any worse than other UL frameless packs, especially those that don't have the 3D mesh panel for padding. My frame sheet weighed 72g on my scale, add that to the long straps that got trimmed short and a few pieces removed, my Jam has lost 4.2 ounces from the day I brought it home.

I'm not convinced it'll stay like that, but it was a neat proof-of-concept for the summer trips where I'm cutting every ounce possible from an average 12 lb base wt.

I might think about trimming the factory one down and gluing a spar to it for heavy loads.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
Jam 35 on 04/15/2012 22:03:57 MDT Print View

Has anyone picked up a Jam 35? I know there were a lot of complaints about the rolltop being quite short on the original Peak and I was wondering if this may have changed with the Jam 35.

Nils Mann
(Billman)

Locale: Rockies
Jam 50 Sizing on 04/25/2012 15:06:20 MDT Print View

Some posts on earlier versions of the JAM said that the sizing is out by one size. I've got an 18.2 to 18.5" back length. Anybody know if the medium will fit well? My other packs seem to sit a little low so likely I would be 18.5 or slightly more.

p.s. I was just looking for a way to attach bear spray to a strap or the belt. I have used bungee on the straps, and stabilizer straps in the past, but don't see a nice way on this pack. What do other people do?

Edited by Billman on 04/25/2012 15:50:15 MDT.

Jim Larkey
(jimlarkey) - MLife

Locale: NoCO
New Jam35L Rolltop ==>7.5" on 04/25/2012 15:45:44 MDT Print View

New Jam35L Rolltop ==>7.5"New Jam35L Rolltop ==7.5"

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

re: Jam 50 sizing on 04/25/2012 15:52:33 MDT Print View

Nils, as you can see from the first photo in the thread the effective torso length (middle of belt to inner shoulder strap attachments) is 18.5" on the large. This is the same sizing as last year. Whether a medium or large will suit you will depend on your personal perference, but it sounds like a large might be a better bet. The new load lifters will compensate for a shorter torso length to a certain extent, and some folks prefer the greater shoulder wrap which comes with that sort of fit.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Framesheet on 04/25/2012 16:02:48 MDT Print View

Just to throw other options out there, I have the 2011 Jam and recently switched out the foam framesheet that came with it to use the GG SitLight Sit Pad. It has better stiffness and is more comfortable overall than the provided foam pad.

Second modification is I will be removing the large exterior zip pocket and using a MYOG Noseeum mesh pocket. Much more functional than the zipped pocket which is harder to use when the Jam is full and MYOG mesh pocket is much lighter.

I will post more on that modification when I am done.

Nils Mann
(Billman)

Locale: Rockies
Re: re: Jam 50 sizing on 04/25/2012 17:35:24 MDT Print View

David, Thanks very much for the advice. Large sounds right. I started reducing my load last year but this will be my first frameless pack. I am looking at is as "learning" pack, so I want to take the BPL advice of straps either at or just above the shoulder, and then see if the load lifters can be removed. I use a Neoair but intend to play with different pad support configurations and want to try the pack lightening described by others (thanks to everyone on BPL). At $80 on sale doesn't look like there is much to compare.

William Goodrich
(BoulderBill) - F - M

Locale: Where the plains hit the peaks
Hip belt sizing on 07/11/2012 09:22:39 MDT Print View

Just a quick adder re: the hip belt sizing on the Large Jam 50...

I just picked one up a week or two ago from the GoLite store. I wear a 34" waist pant (on a good day), and I found on my first overnight with the pack that I could tighten the hip belt all the way to the hip pockets at certain times. I'm not sure if I wear the pack higher than my actual hips like the OP, but I was certainly surprised. I'd say it's *just* enough girth for me, but scary close.

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

Locale: UK
No more Golite Packs for me then on 07/11/2012 09:40:17 MDT Print View

>>Just a quick adder re: the hip belt sizing on the Large Jam 50...

I just picked one up a week or two ago from the GoLite store. I wear a 34" waist pant (on a good day), and I found on my first overnight with the pack that I could tighten the hip belt all the way to the hip pockets at certain times. I'm not sure if I wear the pack higher than my actual hips like the OP, but I was certainly surprised. I'd say it's *just* enough girth for me, but scary close.

What a pity. Taking a 32" waist means I won't be upgrading any more. I have owned 5 frameless Golite packs in size L. Original Jam, Pinnacle, 2009Jam , (Peak briefly - rubbish hip belt!) and Ion. all fitted ok. No longer it seems. Bah.

Edited by MoleJ on 07/11/2012 09:41:54 MDT.

Travis Glynn
(cmich) - F
RE: No more Golite Packs for me then on 07/11/2012 15:04:58 MDT Print View

J Mole,
I tried to send you a PM but you have not set up an email address at which to receive them. I was wondering if you would consider selling the Jam 50 that by the sounds of it, is not an ideal fit. I have been looking for a used large Golite Jam 50 w/ hipbelt pockets but so far have been coming up empty. Please feel free to contact me at tlglynn@yahoo.com if you see this.

Thanks

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

Locale: UK
Travis on 07/11/2012 15:56:26 MDT Print View

Travis
I think you may mean the post prior to mine? I was attempting to quote it.
(this site is very basic!)

The Old Jam I have fits me OK. (and I am in the UK not US....)

Justin McCabe
(justinmc)

Locale: Southern California
2012 Jam hipbelt on 10/31/2012 10:41:34 MDT Print View

Just got my Jam 70 in the mail today, size Medium. I am 5 11', 160 lb, and size 30-31 waist, the hipbelt fits well with room to cinch it down even more!

robert van putten
(Bawana) - F

Locale: Planet Bob
Jam 70 on 10/31/2012 15:32:48 MDT Print View

I purchased a Jam 70 this summer and I was quite surprised at the hip belt because it only just fits me. I often have it as tight as it will go.

I'm 5'7" and 140 pounds with a 30" waist.
The Jam isn't made for skinny folk it seems.

Jam 70

Edited by Bawana on 10/31/2012 15:34:44 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Hipbelt too big on 10/31/2012 16:03:53 MDT Print View

I tried on a Jam 50 that Eric Wheeler brought to the GGG in Arkansas. I liked the pack but the hipbelt was too big. I could not tighten it up enough for it to really sit solid on my hips (I'm 5-8 and 160).