GGG lV a huge success
Display Avatars Sort By:
P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: GGG IV Jolly Good Fun! on 02/21/2012 10:26:07 MST Print View

Matt, in the photo below, is that a Bear Paw or a Patrol Shelter? And what is the inner?

m

Jeremy Pendrey
(Pendrey) - MLife

Locale: California
Photos starting to go up on 02/21/2012 10:35:09 MST Print View

FYI, Tony has started posting his photo thread, though he is far from done:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=59960&skip_to_post=512217#512217

Had a great weekend, and my son did too. He is already in for next year!

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
BearPaw on 02/21/2012 10:45:05 MST Print View

Paul, I noticed Jay answered the same question in another thread.

"that is a BearPaw Wilderness Designs--Canopy 2 Tarp, olive green cuban fiber at 13.5oz.
Bug net is Yama Mountain Gear 2.0 Bug Shelter at 15.5oz"

I believe Matt's first photo is the cuben Patrol Shelter.

JASON CUZZETTO
(cuzzettj) - MLife

Locale: NorCal - South Bay
RE: "GGG lV a huge success" on 02/21/2012 10:51:31 MST Print View

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I am at a loss for words... Well not really... The fact is you all said it so well. I brought my daughter for her first backpacking trip and she loved it. The perfect distance for a 9 year olds first trip! She required a little more attention than I expected so it put a bit of a damper into some of my mingling. However, I got to meet a lot of people and even found a potential hiking partner or two. THIS GGG IV EVENT Rocked!!!

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I am working on an article for BPL and am very excited to read all of your posts and put this together the best I can. I will contact anyone who I think has a great picture for an article. I would love any write ups anyone wants to do on specific aspects so we can put more content in would be fantastic.

After telling my wife about it we may have an additional participant. She was even interested in putting together some children's events for next year - go figure she is a pre-school teacher.

Ken - you are way cooler than in your posts!!!

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: GGG lV a huge success on 02/21/2012 11:06:31 MST Print View

Ken, thanks so much to you and everyone who contributed to the success of the weekend.

I really enjoyed seeing other people's equipment (got to see a few things I'd been wondering about), the stuff the cottage manufacturers brought, Hikin' Jim's stoves, Cameron's beer, Diana's shared breakfast stuff, Jack's oven and muffins, and especially just meeting everyone and putting faces with the names I read so often (I remembered quite a few from last year, always something to be grateful for at my age!). Though he's decidedly not a gear freak, Larry still enjoyed the people and the experience, more than either of us expected. My "enlightenment" is still a work in progress; on the way home we discussed how the big limiting factor for me is my need to be warm, and I seem to get colder than most people. Much of the weight and bulk in my pack is aimed at that; clothing and sleep options will probably always (until a lighter alternative to down is discovered) keep my pack bigger than I'd like. But I can still work towards a more compact cooking setup, a more suitable tent, and try out different pack options (lots of MYOG in my future, I think). Plenty of inspiration there this weekend!

P. Larson
(reacttocontact) - F
Re: BearPaw on 02/21/2012 11:10:36 MST Print View

Chris, thanks. My main concern was the bug shelter. I ordered a Serenity from MLD and was hoping that wasn't it. Thing looks huge.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Ikea Pack!! on 02/22/2012 11:14:56 MST Print View

Whoa! I gotta ask who was rocking the Ikea pack? I've always contemplated building one out of the ubiquitous, blue, and extremely durable Swedish $2 gem. Details! Thanks!!

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: GGG lV a huge success on 02/22/2012 11:40:24 MST Print View

Sounds like you guys cranked the awesome up to 11 this year!

I'm so bummed that I had to bail out last minute. From the photos it's evident that everyone had a blast, how could you not with such a great group of people.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Ikea Pack!! on 02/22/2012 13:32:27 MST Print View

That pack belongs to James DeMonaco. It was a big hit.

Thanks Jason. I'll work on my posts, maybe;)

Edited by kthompson on 02/22/2012 13:34:34 MST.

Doug Coe
(sierraDoug) - M

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA
A great weekend on 02/22/2012 20:18:23 MST Print View

I enjoyed meeting so many fellow backpackers and seeing all the cool gear. Manfred let me try on his Zpack Exo--thank you Manfred.

I asked Peter Vacco to show me his McHale (never having seen one before) and ended up having a delightful thirty minute conversation. Peter, you're a wonderful character, sweet actually under all that extensive knowledge. And quite the impressive adventurer too.

I got to know Jim when we hiked in together Friday night, and Rick, his friend. And Matt seemed like just another guy till I realized from his conversation that he's a triple crowner. Wow! Quite a group of amazing people we had there.

Thank you Ken, and Ken, and all the other helpers, for putting it all together. It all went smoothly and made it easy for the rest of us.

Doug Coe (like the park...)

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Re: GGG lV a huge success on 02/23/2012 16:44:44 MST Print View

Thanks to the the Ken's and everyone else who made this such a great event. I'm glad I finally got to attend once again.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: GGG lV a huge success on 02/23/2012 17:06:51 MST Print View

Jacob,

Missed seeing you there....you would have been impressed by the number of cameras that people had there.

Eric's shoots were from his Sony Nex5, which turned out great.

I saw a few DSLRs there and one with a huge lens on it.

I started to get a small camera complex walking around there...LOL.

Was a great gathering this year with weather that was about perfect- best weather yet.

Now....I just have to crank out some more photos and I need to learn how to use Lightroom in the future.

Using my old slow way for now because it is faster for me, but I have to learn the new software.

-Tony

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
good stuff on 02/23/2012 17:17:53 MST Print View

Right on people! It is awesome how grassroots this thing is and that people from all over the country converged for the fun despite Doug not attending. I am bummed I couldn't be there. Hopefully next year.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
GGG lV a huge success on 02/23/2012 19:15:40 MST Print View

I had a great trip, but the poison oak I picked up is going NUTS!!

My tick and I are getting along well, though.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Poison Oak on 02/23/2012 19:31:12 MST Print View

David,
This will be the last time that I let Jack lead me astray! (Well, maybe not.) I have Poison Oak all over my legs since I was stupid and wore shorts on a bushwack.

But, I had a great time again this year hanging out with all of you west coasters. I learned a lot this year:
1) Unmaintained means unmaintained.
2) Bobcats eat chickens.
3) Milk bone dog biscuits are great hiking food.

Thanks to everyone especially Ken and Ken and all the folks that pulled this together. I look forward to hiking with you guys (and gals) again.

PS. Much to my surprise I thought the kids added a whole new dimension to the festivities. Hope this and spousal participation increases next year.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Poison oak on 02/23/2012 19:44:42 MST Print View

On my butt. Nuff said.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
GGG IV on 02/23/2012 21:32:48 MST Print View

Looks like a fun time and a chance to look at everyone's gear. Thanks for the pics.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Poison oak on 02/23/2012 21:43:15 MST Print View

Man... women get no rest.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Poison oak on 02/23/2012 21:44:10 MST Print View

"On my butt. Nuff said."

That's what you get for listening to Clelland! ;-)

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
GGG IV a Huge Success on 02/23/2012 21:46:52 MST Print View

Kat, When and how did you ever get Poison Oak on your buttock's?