Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Learning to poncho (a recent convert)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick E.
(trAletrasch) - F

Locale: PNW
wt? on 02/21/2012 23:26:07 MST Print View

Piper what does that 8x10 weigh with the bugnet?

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Learning to poncho (a recent convert) on 02/22/2012 05:53:59 MST Print View

My goal is to be AS LIGHT AS POSSIBLE

If your goal is to be as light as possible and have a fully enclosed shelter, check out this article I wrote a couple months back.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: wt? on 02/22/2012 15:22:10 MST Print View

I don't know what it weighs. The 8x10 is something like 14 oz not counting stakes and line. The bugnet was made using 3 Coghlans mosquito nets (unshaped netting, not no-see-um) and a little bit of ribbon and chiffon. Have no idea the weight of that. There is no zipper or door on the net. There's no floor. I lift a corner and get inside.

I'm not always concerned with the absolute lowest weight. Sometimes it is fun to just experiment with different things to find out what you like best. I did some experimenting with having a tarp and net so that I could just use the net alone when I wanted to see the stars. It's hard to see the stars through white netting in case you are wondering. But it is fun to build a new and different "house" every night.

Peter Merritt
(Dead_Cow)

Locale: Southern Arizona
Golite Poncho Tarp Pitch on 03/01/2012 13:17:00 MST Print View

Golite Poncho Tarp Mailbox Canyon

Was overcast and chance or rain, never setup a tarp if no chance of rain, it hardly ever rains in Southeast Arizona anyways. This pitch gives plenty of room for me and the beast, and I can drop the side if it starts raining hard. Cost me a whole $40 onsale for the tarp. It is a little fraigle but still can't beat the price and works well as a poncho with my wild things epic wind shirt which I take anyway. If there is good chance of rain I take a rain jacket and my MLD monk tarp (during summer monsoons), bugs are not usually an issue here. I plan to upgrade to the MLD Simple poncho this year, for durability reasons, plus its a little bigger than the golite.
Peter

what not
(firestarter01)

Locale: Bay Area
GoLite setup in snow on 04/16/2013 18:18:49 MDT Print View

Towards the bottom you can see my setup in unexpected snow.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=71025&skip_to_post=612233#612233

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Poncho Tarp on 06/05/2013 23:11:42 MDT Print View

Here' a MLD simple silnylon poncho set up with a GG LT4, glow wire, and Ti stakes. Works well if you're under 6'.

MLD Poncho in half mid

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Poncho Tarp on 06/05/2013 23:15:34 MDT Print View

Nice pitch, Brian.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Pitch on 06/06/2013 10:28:24 MDT Print View

Thanks, Nick. Flat ground never hurts. Also, the half pyramid is much easier with a non-cat cut tarp than the A-frame. But like so many, I don't like crawling under a flat tarp 2' off the ground anyway. WIll try to dig up some more if the OP's still interested. I've moved to shaped tarps, Trailstar, Mids, have yet to pick up a hexamid, I know you get along great with yours. Since it's summer, might be time to email Joe V. If only it will arrive by fall.

Benen Huntley
(benen) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
2x Sea to Summit Ponchos on 09/19/2014 23:36:45 MDT Print View

We have a S2S poncho each that can button together. Has anyone tried doing this on a trip? The only issue is the possibility of rain coming in along the buttoned ridge where there is only one inch of overlap.
If it was pitched with the overlapping side into the wind and the guy point half way along the ridge was used to help it might be usable as a 2 man shelter with the addition of a. bug net and ground sheet? it makes an 8.5x10ish tarp.

S2S dual poncho a frame
Benen

Edited by benen on 09/19/2014 23:38:45 MDT.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Learning to poncho (a recent convert) on 11/07/2014 12:33:36 MST Print View

One thing that I've found is that a your typical 5x8(or 9) style poncho tarp was generally fine for me in more arid climates, but not so much in wetter environments.

I lean toward either bigger tarps or shaped tarps for areas where rain is common.

The Gatewood cape provides much more coverage in adverse conditions than a flat tarp cape. The Gatewood cape can be significantly warmer at night as well.

There is really only one pitch with the Gatewood, but you can raise it and lower it and either close or open the front depending on how much ventilation you need.

I believe the Zpacks Hexamid is very similar in shape when it is pitched.

I really liked the Gatewood cape on one wet, cold and windy late fall trip I was on in NY. It rained every night and the wind would often change direction.

I would have had to have been much more particular about site selection if I had been using my flat poncho tarp. I would have also not been as warm at night.

The Gatewood is a little heavier and more expensive than a Golite Poncho tarp, but you can find them used from time to time.