Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Missing GGG IV
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Black
(mtblack) - F
Missing GGG IV on 02/19/2012 18:53:35 MST Print View

I spent most of the past year looking forward to the GGG but my sister declined my request and had this decidedly un-UL baby right before President's Day weekend:Baby Malachi

I am sure everyone had a great time and I have GGG V to look forward to.

Edited by mtblack on 02/19/2012 18:54:55 MST.

a b
(Ice-axe)
GGG IV on 02/19/2012 19:09:56 MST Print View

A great time was had by all. Never seen so much cubne in one place! I am sure a thread will show up soon enough.
CONGRATULATIONS on the baby!
Anyhow here is a teaser of what the GGG was like:
.The hike in
.Ikea pack
.Tea candle carboard oven
.Hikin Jim and his stove collection
.Well equipped mids
.Yes, a wood stove in a mid
.Tony Wong
.Yes, the tea candle carboard stove worked!
.Poverty flat dayhike
.China Hole dayhike
.Trail Designs showing off a 2 quart wood burning Tri Ti
.My MLD Patrol Thursday night before GGG
.Kat's hammock setup
.The aftermath on Sunday morning
.The terrain near Manzanita point in Henry Coe state park
.Nice!
@ Kat, YOU are the nicest and most inspiring person! I was merely a reflection of the great people around me that are the folks of BPL. Thankyou Kat and everyone.. I had a blast!!!

Edited by Ice-axe on 02/19/2012 20:23:44 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Matt and Matt on 02/19/2012 20:09:00 MST Print View

Matthew B., congratulations to your sister and the whole family! Hope to see you on the trail soon.
Matthew E., thanks for the pictures and for being such a light, good hearted, fun and inspiring person. Good to know there are folks like you out there, as well as all the others at the GGG!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Missing GGG IV on 02/19/2012 20:40:59 MST Print View

Lol...someone with a baby heavier as my newborn? Awesome! Your sister did well! 10+ lb baby boys rock!

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - F
Re: Re: Missing GGG IV on 02/19/2012 21:15:58 MST Print View

She was due on the 8th. Labor was induced on the 14th and 45 hours later he still hadn't dropped. He was born at 23:03 on the 16th via cesarean section. My sister and her boyfriend are both exhausted but overjoyed.

There was also a 9lb, 5oz girl born several hours before my nephew. Apparently comparable birth weights are rare enough that they are a pair of little celebrities in the nursery.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Shoulda went on 02/19/2012 21:21:09 MST Print View

Congrats on the nephew. We snowed camped in the Kit Carson Pass area this weekend, no shorts required, got to 2F per two zip-o-gauges close to the ground and 7F per the digital thermometer at about 4.5' off the ground this morning amongst the 10 who went.
Duane

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
GGG IV on 02/19/2012 21:36:13 MST Print View

James Winstead
(James_W)

Locale: CA
GGG I'VE on 02/19/2012 22:59:45 MST Print View

Bummer that you missed it but congrats on uncledom!

Also, thanks for the car!!!

Everyone, we had worked out carpooling but Matt was cool enough to loan me and Doug the car so we could still make it! That's so cool and I just wanted to give Matt a shout out or that. (I think that's the first time I've actually use te phrase 'shout out')

Thanks again... and don't be too embarrassed to post a photo of the rockin beard.

Edit: GGG I've!?!I guess the iPhone is too cool to understand roman numerals...sorry for the nonsensical post title.

Edited by James_W on 02/19/2012 23:03:44 MST.

James DeMonaco
(jdemonaco) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco
GGG IV on 02/19/2012 23:40:21 MST Print View

Congrats! Sorry you couldn't make it to GGG, but thats a hell of a reason to miss it!

Also, thanks to Matt E. for posting that sweet action pic of me in the ikea backpack, haha!

Man it was a good weekend, wish I hadn't forgot my camera. only managed to snap a few photos with my camera phone (none of which are particularly good)

I look forward to seeing you all on the trail this year and at GGG V next year!

@Kat Washed the beanie per your instructions and it turned out great! Thanks again!

Edited by jdemonaco on 02/19/2012 23:43:16 MST.