Forum Index » GEAR » Carrying your camera

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Carrying your camera on 02/18/2012 14:01:48 MST Print View

I'm curious to know how everyone carries their camera. So far, I've been using a vertical pouch with loops at the top and a zipper on the side. I thread my sternum strap through the loops and can quickly get my camera via the zipper. This works well for easy access, but not so well because it's bouncing around. I don't like using my waste belt pocket because every time I put down my pack, I forget the camera is in there an I put it always finds a rock. It's just a matter of time before it gets broken.

So, what do you use to secure your camera in a way that gives fast and easy access but protects the camera? I'm thinking something on the shoulder strap, but am unsure of what yet.

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
ZPacks Multipack on 02/18/2012 14:17:09 MST Print View

I keep mine in my ZPacks Multipack, which happens to ride on my front at chest level and is attached to my shoulder straps. It is safe inside the Multipack from tree limbs or what not scraping by, from a quick rain, or from bouncing around. However, it is very easy for me to quickly unzip the Multipack, reach in and grab the camera.

http://sticksblog.com/gear/my-current-gear/backpack/zpacks-blast-30-backpack-multipack/

Phillip Colelli
(pdcolelli42)

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com
Re: ZPacks Multipack on 02/18/2012 14:33:00 MST Print View

The zpacks multi pack would be good but a tad heavy. You can also get a shoulder pocket from zpacks for about .3 oz but it won't offer as much protection or storage as Chad's suggestion.

ed hyatt
(edhyatt) - MLife

Locale: The North; UK
Ortleib snap on 02/18/2012 14:35:35 MST Print View

I use one of these...

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ortlieb_snap_digital_camera_protective_case.html

I cut off rear Drings and secure to the shoulder strap top and bottom through the 'webbing' that is left. Small velcro closure and semi-roll closing gives very fast access.

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: Re: ZPacks Multipack on 02/18/2012 14:57:18 MST Print View

I definitely wouldn't get the Multipack to use just for the camera as that would be total overkill. However, I carry all of my daily use items inside this pack though. Saying this, the weight of the Multipack is lighter than if I were to add hip belt pockets plus other "pockets" around the pack. So, in this light, the single pouch Multipack is indeed a very lightweight option. Granted, it comes down to your packing needs/likes.

Before I started using the Multipack, I simply kept my camera either in my pant's front pocket or in the zippered chest pocket on my shirt/windshirt.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Carrying your camera on 02/18/2012 15:17:51 MST Print View

I carry my camera in the pocket of my cargo pants. I've tried putting it in various pocket attachements on my pack but if there is a zipper or whatever involved, I am less likely to bother pulling it out. I also agree that when attached to the pack it is at risk of hitting against something hard when dropping the pack. I did this a few times but never broke the camera.

My cargo pants pocket has worked well for me but I have broken the screen once doing this. Maybe my next camera will be one of the "tough" cameras.

I also only buy cameras that are waterproof because I know it will get wet while fishing/hiking and adding a waterproof bag guarantees that I won't bother pulling it out for a quick shot.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Carrying your camera on 02/18/2012 15:20:14 MST Print View

You really need to define the specific camera and lens. My camera with standard trail lens and accessories run about 8 pounds, so I go with a heavy Lowepro top-loading camera bag worn over one shoulder.

You also want to define your typical photo targets. As an example, if you shoot landscapes, then you can unzip the top, pull out the camera, line up the shot, and click. Others of us go after wildlife, so we need a camera bag that can be flipped open instantly, the camera pulled out, and click. I bypassed the top flap zipper on my Lowepro with a Velcro strap for speed of entry.

Also, you don't want your camera bag hanging down too far if you intend to be crossing any high-water streams. Good camera bags are weatherproof, but they are not commonly rated for submersion. While crossing one deep stream last summer, I had about two drops of water get into the camera compartment, but I could deal with that quickly once I got across.

--B.G.--

Phillip Colelli
(pdcolelli42)

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com
Re: Re: Re: ZPacks Multipack on 02/18/2012 15:34:48 MST Print View

Chad, I totally agree with you. It all comes down to your own needs. I would absolutely love to have that multipack but I just can't do it for what it weighs and I know it ain't much.

I originally went from having no pockets on my pack besides the back mesh pocket to now I added that zpacks shoulder pocket. I can say that before I hardly ever pulled my phone/camera out for pictures unless it was in my pocket. Now I'm hoping to use it as much as possible.

To the OP: really I guess you have unlimited options. You just have to find what works best for you ya know?

Edited by pdcolelli42 on 02/18/2012 15:37:11 MST.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Black rapid on 02/18/2012 16:27:17 MST Print View

These look like they might work well

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/snapr20/

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Carrying your camera on 02/18/2012 16:28:47 MST Print View

Either a Case Logic camera pouch or dollar store neoprene pouch, both fitting on chest strap of pack.

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Re: Re: Carrying your camera on 02/18/2012 18:04:58 MST Print View

Long gone are my days of carrying big glass, so I'm just carrying a point and shoot anymore.

It's seeming like the zpacks shoulder pouch might be best. It would be cool to have the security of SnapR strap though with the tripod adapter.

Edited by Kieran on 02/18/2012 18:06:08 MST.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Carrying your camera on 02/18/2012 21:13:21 MST Print View

I use the hip pockets on my circuit for my Epm-1 with pancake lens on it. I also keep a longer zoom in very small stuff sack attached with the water bottle holders.

I am not completely satisfied though an really need to add some padding to protect them. I am thinking about using 3d mesh inside pockets. Or making my Own fully water proof bag.

For me I dont want my camera too acessable otherwise I take too many pictures and feel that i experience the trip in the third person. I want to make a decision to take pictures at certain times rather than having the camera in hand ready to go

Alasdair Fowler
(MessiahKhan) - F

Locale: Newcastle, UK
Carrying your camera on 02/19/2012 05:03:40 MST Print View

For my hiking camera, I carry an Olympus E-P3 camera with 12mm f2 and 100-300mm lenses. The 12mm generally lives on the camera, and the camera is attached directly the shoulder strap via a Peak Design Capture Clip;

http://peakdesignltd.com/capture.htm

The camera and lens are then covered via a myog cuben fibre/neoprene rain cover. The 100-300 mm lens are attached to the other strap via a myog cuben fibre/neoprene lens case.

The system works really well, as the camera doesn't swing about and can be removed and used really easily. The capture clip uses arca swiss compatible plates, so the camera can be clipped straight to a tripod. I have tried a whole load of options for carrying my camera, and this is the best option I have used to date.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Carrying your camera on 02/19/2012 06:16:13 MST Print View

Alasdair, I've looked at things like the Spider Hoslter and the Luma-Loop, but the Peak Design Capture Clip looks like it might do exactly what I have been looking for.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Carrying your camera on 02/19/2012 06:26:07 MST Print View

MYOG: Bubble Wrap and Duct Tape Camera Case
A durable camera case made from cheap and free materials.
by Sam Haraldson | 2009-05-12

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bubble_wrap_duct_tape_camera_case.html

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Carrying your camera on 02/19/2012 09:58:55 MST Print View

It seems to me that if you have two identical quick release platforms one could be mounted to your strap or belt just with a 1/4" screw and washer and serve the same purpose at almost no additional cost. The other platform stays on your tripod. You of course want an easy to use and secure platform.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Carrying your camera on 02/19/2012 10:29:13 MST Print View

Hi Kier,

My preferred way to carry a small camera is in a flip-top padded case threaded onto the shoulder strap and riding at the base, above the waist belt. It's handy, it's unobtrusive, it's protected from dripping sweat, and it doesn't interfere with trekking poles or get bashed into rocks.

Cheers,

Rick

Alasdair Fowler
(MessiahKhan) - F

Locale: Newcastle, UK
Re: Re: Re: Carrying your camera on 02/19/2012 10:54:35 MST Print View

@John Nausieda

Is this in reference to the Capture Clip? If so, then I mostly agree. I was actually contemplating on putting together something similar myself before I came across the capture clip. But I have to say that it has been very nicely designed and it would be hard and not so cheap to make one yourself that performed as well. It is easy to add and remove the clip from anywhere that has a strap or belt. The camera is also very easily inserted in or removed from the clip, with an easy to access safety catchment making sure the camera doesn't go anywhere when you don't want it to.

The only things I would change are the ability to adjust the position of the quick release on the camera by using a slot rather than a hole for the screw. On my camera, the plate slightly covers the battery and memory card doors, meaning I have to remove the plate when adding a new card or battery. I would also make some system by which L-Plates were compatible with the clip. If you could use Really Right Stuff brackets with the clip, the system would be perfect!

Edited by MessiahKhan on 02/19/2012 10:55:15 MST.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Re: Carrying your camera on 02/19/2012 11:10:28 MST Print View

Yes my remarks were in reference to the Capture clip. It occurred to me because I happen to have 2 Slik DQ quick release bases and matching QR plates which are magnesium and pretty similar. I happened to get them on ebay for very little and they actually cost more than the Capture clip at retail. They have two bubble levels and I shoot a lot of architecture and horizons.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/376258-REG/Slik_618_711_DQ_L_Quick_Release_Adapter.html

After reading the fantastic reviews of the Capture clip at Amazon and B&H I have to admit it is sounding like first choice except for the plate compatibility issue possibly leading to another ballhead which can be pretty expensive.

Edited by Meander on 02/19/2012 12:12:30 MST.

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Thanks! on 02/19/2012 11:36:49 MST Print View

Thanks a bunch for the additional options. I got some digging to do now!