Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
teaching licensing in other states?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Leslie Thurston
(lesler) - F

Locale: right here, right now
teaching licensing in other states? on 02/18/2012 08:44:37 MST Print View

any other certified teachers out there have experience with inter-state licensing
hang--ups? while it's my understanding some states are entirely receptive to out-of-state certifications, it seems that most won't begin to review your application if your license doesn't coincide with their state? i've been told too that one can "purchase" a generic license, good for all 50 states?...hmmm..can anyone comment on this from their personal experience? (there MUST be more to it than simply throwing down green paper)? maybe it's a run of bad luck, or perhaps i'm missing something paramount, but i'd like to head west at some point and line up a job in advance, but i can't seem to get to the starting line even. thanks. lt

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: teaching licensing in other states? on 02/18/2012 08:56:09 MST Print View

I was a teacher in Seattle 40 years ago so I have nothing current to offer. I do recall looking at teacher certification many years ago, however. If I recall correctly the requirements varied greatly from state to state and the western states tended to require more education (sometimes a lot more) than many other states.

Sooooo, if that is still the state of things I'm guessing you would have to meet the minimum requirements for the state you are interested in to get certified in that state. Haven't heard about a 50 state certificate.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: teaching licensing in other states? on 02/18/2012 08:59:17 MST Print View

Not all states have the same requirements. I know that here in California the requirements are more strict than in many other states- so other states will often honor a CA credential, but CA will not always honor another state's credential.

It depends entirely on what degrees/credentials you have, from where, and where you are going.

I have never heard of a 50 state credential.

Any search on "state teaching requirements" will lead you to pages listing requirements on a state by state basis.

Edited by xnomanx on 02/18/2012 09:02:03 MST.

Hk Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: teaching licensing in other states? on 02/18/2012 11:49:19 MST Print View

There is a national teaching license in the US (or was until fairly recently, haven't checked the last few years), in addition to the individual state licenses and (iirc) the national cert could only be done after one has been teaching in their home state for awhile (an add-on to the state certain). Certain states did not support the national cert. back during the teacher shortage for obviously reasons. The good old days- now districts can be choosy even if they are hiring. Now many are not replacing teachers, merely spreading the kids over the existing faculty. (IMO best time to teach is when there's a shortage - former high school science teacher and interview committee member before the military reactivated me for 9/11, ... I was looking at the national cert myself years ago).

Most state teaching certs can carry over to other states but some do not; there's a database available thru district personnel offices, maybe online which tell you if your teaching cert carries over based on where you earn it (if not on the list -then no for that state). Getting a little off topic but another problem is my prime hiking month is May yet most American high schools do not get out until the end of May : ( So after the military, I took a position not quite as stable but pays better (at least last year)-- and now May is my vacation month (woohoo!!!). Back to work in June/July but that's broiling time/thunderstorm time around here, so, meh...

(ed: grammar, add)

Edited by hknewman on 02/18/2012 16:23:27 MST.

Asif Iqbal
(Asifbaal) - F
re on 02/19/2012 14:50:08 MST Print View

I need to look into this national certificate. How much would that cost, any idea?