Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Cat tarp and inner net set-up

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Locale: WV
MYOG Cat tarp and inner net set-up on 02/17/2012 17:20:21 MST Print View

The weather finally broke enough to allow me to test out my latest project. I've been working on the tarp for some time now, and just recently finished the inner net. The net/floor is quite small for the big tarp, but I wanted it to fit the smaller tarp mostly. Well here's a few pics.

Roscoe approves
tarp1
tarp2
Test dummy
me
Small tarp set-up small tarp
small tarp2

EDIT: I totally forgot the weights. The larger tarp is 12oz exactly, the bug net/floor comes in at a stout 12.5oz (eek I got carried away with re-enforcements) and the little A-frame is something like 9.2oz.

Edited by kingpin on 02/18/2012 21:03:53 MST.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
tarps on 02/17/2012 19:44:38 MST Print View

Sean,

Those are both good looking tarps. Well done. How much deflection is there in the cat tarp ridgeline? I think that is the deepest cat curve I've seen in a ridgeline.

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Re: tarps on 02/17/2012 22:27:13 MST Print View

Hey thanks,

The deflection is 3". I used the spread sheet that Roger made, I think. I think it looks deeper than it is because of how much it's stretched. I don't know for sure though, maybe 3" is a lot. I kinda roughly went off the plans for the Six Moon Nightwing.

Michael Pappas
(Mpap89) - F

Locale: bay area
design question on 02/18/2012 08:59:48 MST Print View

i've been thinking of doing this mainly for bug protection in the sierras but in the back of my mind i keep thinking, why don't i just make a bathtub floor and have ~6" of netting come from the walls of the tent instead of having all the bug protection above my head which may be redundant. I'm not critiquing your design, i'm just trying to understand if there's a specific advantage in having an inner bug net + the tarp. it looks great by the way.
Michael

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Re: design question on 02/18/2012 10:48:30 MST Print View

Michael,

The reason I opted for the full bug net, floor and all, is for versatility. I wanted to have the ability to use all my tarps with the same bug net, also snakes can't get into a fully enclose structure. If I only had the one tarp and pitched it only one way, then a noseeum skirt and floor would be my choice. I'm sure that route would be much lighter than my 12.5 oz design.

Jack Hoster
(OrlandoHanger) - F
MYOG Cat tarp and inner net set-up on 02/18/2012 14:04:01 MST Print View

Looks more like a Dog tarp.

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Re: MYOG Cat tarp and inner net set-up on 02/18/2012 21:00:56 MST Print View

Haha well he has his own little tarp I pitch as a lean to in right by mine and a cut down foam sleeping pad. Sadly his gear is lighter than mine. :(