Doug- You don't have cuben bed sheets, do you? :)
Craig- It wasn't too hard to design and I'm sure you can figure something out, but I can post dimensions if you want.
Todd- "Character infused seams." Love it!
Ben- No patent. I'll put the pattern up when I get around to it.
Ty Ty- This will mostly be used in winter and shoulder seasons where bugs won't be a problem, so a netted shelter isn't a concern for me. I use a mesh inner and tarp or a Double Rainbow in buggy conditions. I either use an MLD Trailstar or HMG Echo I tarp. I have full bug inners for both of those, but my groundsheet will be used when bugs are gone.
D Johnson- I am also curious to see if the tall walls will have a big effect on condensation. Time to test it!
Brad- Thanks, yeah, I could cut off that extra fabric where the seams were made. Could save 3 grams!! :)
Ty Ty (second post)- "I just don't see the point in having all the different components, fuss of setting up the different pieces." The nice thing about this is that you just throw it down like a ground sheet. No fuss! I only plan on pulling up the walls if necessary.
David- I should have had some beer DURING the process, not just after. I'll get nice and buzzed when I make my wife's. :D
Gregory- Thanks, and yes, I can put the plans up.
Clayton- Yes I think you could add a top for modularity, but since I always sleep under a tarp I don't think its too necessary. However, I thought about making a mesh top for it for bug season....
RE: Contrail- I really still like that shelter and had I the slightest need, I'd get one. It would serve a different purpose than a groundsheet and tarp though.
1. This takes 3 yards of fabric. All measurements include a 1" seam/hem allowance because I ended up double rolling my hems.
2. For the pillow pocket, I finished all edges then folded it up on itself so the pocket is 8" long at each seam. Since the groundsheet is tapered, it creates more of a pocket when you sew this together.
3. for the foot box, I matched up the corners and measured in 3.5", then sewed at a diagonal down to where the bottom corner was. Note that some edges weren't finished because they didn't need to be. This is "inside out" to clarify.